Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

What good is a EV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member ID
Reactions
City
Erie
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Hellcat
I’ll start easy on the fundamental and easy things.

What good is an EV when most of our electric power is NOT PRODUCED with this new “green energy”? Only a fraction of your power is produced with wind and solar. Wind and especially solar have many problems and future costs people currently are blind to.

The ONLY way you insure against future power increases is to entirely self power with solar off the grid. Let’s talk about your power plant. Start with your array of batteries (discuss their replacement costs, disposal details, current manufacturing origin), and your replacement costs for those panels (discuss their current origin the materials they are built of and their replacement costs). What is the size of your power plant at home to power your home and charge your vehicles?
My power is fully solar (most components manufactured in USA), so there are truly zero emissions from my future electric vehicle. As for the larger grid, you're correct that green energy is in the minority. That said, per unit of energy our power plants are cleaner than an ICE, even when powered by things like natural gas. Also, over the lifetime of the parts more affordable. Further, the percentage produced by wind and solar is increasing. So the benefits can increase over time, beyond a point-in-time calculation done today.

I have no power plant. The solar panels to charge it fit on the roof and the battery is on the side of the house. I'm a net power exporter.

I appreciate you starting with the fundamental and easy things, but it appears you haven't given an honest effort to investigating the options here.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Erie
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Hellcat
It's far more likely, the solar panels and the EV's batteries are "made in China. How did you come to the conclusion it far more Made In America ? You'll soon find out that charging that EV's battery isn't anymore economical than putting gas in an ICE driven vehicle.
Very easy to find inverters, panels, and batteries made in the US. Most EV batteries are also made in the US.

It is far more economical than a Hellcat getting ~15mpg on premium fuel and synthetic oil change every 6 months. Oh yeah, has anyone done a brake job on their Hellcat? LOL. Forgot to mention that less frequent brake jobs are part of the EV deal...

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
No one is fully charging their EV, at home, on solar. Not enough storage. Not enough power generation, from a home based solar grid.

Also, it all sounds pie in the sky, but what about work? Are you going to switch to night shift, so you can net that elusive "free" solar charging... which will take (literally) all day?

As for the cost of owning an HC... you have to pay to play. Oil changes. Brake jobs. Performance mods. The pure joy of ownership... versus the sterile EV market... despite all their feel good commercials.

Why don't they back away from forcing them down our throats and let the market dictate the change? Because it will never happen, without eliminating choice.

Sent from my SM-G666 using Tapatalk

Member ID
Reactions
City
Erie
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Hellcat
No one is fully charging their EV, at home, on solar. Not enough storage. Not enough power generation, from a home based solar grid.

Also, it all sounds pie in the sky, but what about work? Are you going to switch to night shift, so you can net that elusive "free" solar charging... which will take (literally) all day?

You are right about the ability to charge from fully empty to full being limited by home battery capacity. Luckily, if charged daily that isn't the regular situation created by local errands. From a total power perspective I have enough excess power for 2 total charges per month, around miles of range. That covers the mileage I put on a vehicle, but wouldn't be the case for everyone.

As for timing, that's very easy to control via app. When to put power into the car battery or home battery versus dump into the grid. It becomes more complicated if your goal is profit vs emissions (with time-of-use pricing), but is still very easy to customize.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Erie
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Hellcat
As for the cost of owning an HC... you have to pay to play. Oil changes. Brake jobs. Performance mods. The pure joy of ownership... versus the sterile EV market... despite all their feel good commercials.

The comment above that I was responding to directly referenced cost.

I hear you on the pure joy of a car overriding rational objective measures. That's why people enjoy classic cars, big cool 4x4 camping rigs, or beautiful mopar muscle cars. Personally I love and have owned all three of those without any making fiscal sense.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
The comment above that I was responding to directly referenced cost.

I hear you on the pure joy of a car overriding rational objective measures. That's why people enjoy classic cars, big cool 4x4 camping rigs, or beautiful mopar muscle cars. Personally I love and have owned all three of those without any making fiscal sense.
Right?

So true.

Love all my toys :)

Enjoy, brother.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
There are over 300,000,000 registered vehicles on the road in the US and Canada. Just imagine if they were all EV and being charged overnight. How many charging stations will be needed for travelers on the road? How about supporting EV’s in our highly populated urban areas? It will be impossible to set up cities for EV’s. The majority of residents in these areas can barely afford their clunkers in the first place let alone an EV…or the replacement batteries for them in 10 years. The future for clean energy is not well thought out…

Bowtie Guy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
There are over 300,000,000 registered vehicles on the road in the US and Canada. Just imagine if they were all EV and being charged overnight. How many charging stations will be needed for travelers on the road? How about supporting EV’s in our highly populated urban areas? It will be impossible to set up cities for EV’s. The majority of residents in these areas can barely afford their clunkers in the first place let alone an EV…or the replacement batteries for them in 10 years. The future for clean energy is not well thought out
Bingo !!!

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
"Clean energy"... powered by:

Coal
Nuclear

Here, and in many municipalities, they run turbine jet engines that turn generators/alternators.

They are just moving pieces, on a chess board. If you can't see it, it doesn't exist, mentality.

Still need oil for all the plastic, in the world, including their precious EVs.

So many holes, in their position, on this.

"We translated it... It's a cookbook."

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
"Clean energy"... powered by:

Coal
Nuclear

Here, and in many municipalities, they run turbine jet engines that turn generators/alternators.

They are just moving pieces, on a chess board. If you can't see it, it doesn't exist, mentality.

Still need oil for all the plastic, in the world, including their precious EVs.

So many holes, in their position, on this.

"We translated it... It's a cookbook."

Does Mr Challenger Hellcat really have one?

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
My power is fully solar (most components manufactured in USA), so there are truly zero emissions from my future electric vehicle. As for the larger grid, you're correct that green energy is in the minority. That said, per unit of energy our power plants are cleaner than an ICE, even when powered by things like natural gas. Also, over the lifetime of the parts more affordable. Further, the percentage produced by wind and solar is increasing. So the benefits can increase over time, beyond a point-in-time calculation done today.

I have no power plant. The solar panels to charge it fit on the roof and the battery is on the side of the house. I'm a net power exporter.

I appreciate you starting with the fundamental and easy things, but it appears you haven't given an honest effort to investigating the options here.
You must not live in Michigan, and what’s your positive spin on cobalt and lithium mining?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
You must not live in Michigan, and what’s your positive spin on cobalt and lithium mining?
You can't even do that shit in Florida. We get stretches of cloudy days and my solar lights won't even work.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thread Starter #193

Oh okay. Maybe I missed something? Maybe you have found close to the first violation of the first law of thermodynamics? I like it.

Let’s turn it up and number the questions. You can educate us.
1. Your MF’er in the USA of solar panels. Where did the key components originate?
2. Future ZERO emissions? Do you have those magical solar panels that last forever?
3. What is an R1S?

We will stop with the solar panels for now. I need to be taken slowly.

I still want to talk about power plants, more affordable “parts” in the future, “solar and wind will increase their percentage of power”, energy storage, grid inertia, and finally I will be interested in you schooling us more on this statement; “So the benefits can increase over time, beyond a point-in-time calculation done today.”

You neglected to also tell us about your “power plant” and it’s capacity and your overall residential load. Yes, if you are telling me you can plug your car into something and it recharges your batteries, you have a power plant.

Finally, you have one post in this community and it was in Dec 21, before this thread. Congrats on the car. What prompts you to take this issue on among all automotive and other discussions since? You feel proud or you really believe we are all full of shit and you desire to discuss this at length?

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #194
Very easy to find inverters, panels, and batteries made in the US. Most EV batteries are also made in the US.

It is far more economical than a Hellcat getting ~15mpg on premium fuel and synthetic oil change every 6 months. Oh yeah, has anyone done a brake job on their Hellcat? LOL. Forgot to mention that less frequent brake jobs are part of the EV deal...
Ya know, you keep this is up and your not going to go far here…”Most EV batteries are also made in the US.”

That statement is false and misleading. If you are as smart as you believe you are, where TF do you think the materials originate from on all EV batteries, and I don’t give a shit where they are MADE!

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #195

Did you sell it?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Dodge Cares sent him in to try and convince the masses...

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
It is far more economical than a Hellcat getting ~15mpg on premium fuel and synthetic oil change every 6 months.
Economics aside, I can go about 400 miles with the 'Cat the way I normally drive. Probably some 25% farther if going slower and not using full throttle when passing.

That means I can easily go to the nearest large town and back. And enjoy the drive. With an EV I could go there (not enjoying the drive), and then what? Wait an hour or three for the damn thing to charge back up?

Unless, of course, it's cold here. Or hot there. Wait for the right temps to get back home again?

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Joe Walsh said it best: “You can’t argue with a sick mind”.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
BTW, my Charger would average 24 mpg cruising on the interstate.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
BTW, my Charger would average 24 mpg cruising on the interstate.
I'm surprised you don't get more than that. I tend to get 22 and change, my girlfriend is consistently exceeding 24 mpg with her Redeye.

And that's on anything but flat and certainly not obeying the speed limit. Either of those does work against an EV, but the elevation changes (thousands of feet, usually), we can't do much about.

At one point the local Porsche dealer offered to bring a Taycan by for us to look at, but ended up admitting that it wouldn't make it the 150 miles to here (it's supposed to go about 240 miles). And that's ignoring that he'd need at least a bit of electricity to make it back down to the dealership again.

Status
Not open for further replies.