Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

What good is a EV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I’ll just start another EV Thread.

How about this horror story? IMO we here in the USA are NOT EVEN CLOSE to ready to have more of these on the road. Plus let us just see what the utilities need to charge soon. Remember natural gas was $1.64 in December 2019, and $9.43 today. That runs lots of peaking plants when the sun don’t shine.

[popcorn][popcorn][popcorn][popcorn]

I rented an electric car for a 4-day road trip. I spent more time charging it than I did sleeping.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/electric-car-four-day-trip-more-time-charging-sleeping

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
Good luck charging when we’re heading for brown out across the states. Another great idea buy the idiot in charge, president in name only!

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
LOL I just lucked out or did I😳. I ordered two F 150 Lightnings last year and got one built and another one is at least a year away. Went by one of my selling dealers today and Ford authorized a Bump to the Favorite Customer to get exclusive first in line. I was 248 and now I get immediate order and delivery August September. Getting one for company and one for ME😁. My F-150 from another dealer is due in later this month. It will be interesting to see how the F-150 compares to my Mach E's. My company drives 300 miles plus a day between me and others. Presently charging from my shop I am spending about $9 a night for 150 average days. Versus $50 on gas trucks and or diesels. The gas savings alone will pay the Truck Payments for me and yeh ain't no greenie but like the EV at this point.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
LOL I just lucked out or did I😳. I ordered two F 150 Lightnings last year and got one built and another one is at least a year away. Went by one of my selling dealers today and Ford authorized a Bump to the Favorite Customer to get exclusive first in line. I was 248 and now I get immediate order and delivery August September. Getting one for company and one for ME😁. My F-150 from another dealer is due in later this month. It will be interesting to see how the F-150 compares to my Mach E's. My company drives 300 miles plus a day between me and others. Presently charging from my shop I am spending about $9 a night for 150 average days. Versus $50 on gas trucks and or diesels. The gas savings alone will pay the Truck Payments for me and yeh ain't no greenie but like the EV at this point.
I guess you have not heard about all the states starting the EV taxes. Yeah it's real. :) My nephew has one and every damn thing on it is overpriced. Wall Charger, $400, cord for wall charger another $250, garage door opener, $350, floormats $60 exact same floor mats from Weather tech $40. The mats he got from Tesla for $60 came in a Weather Tech box...LOL I've rode in it several times, sorry I'm not impressed. Everyone that passes his garage wants to talk about my PCP Redeye Hellcat and not about his white Model 3 so....

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Interesting to see how a pickup compares to a Mustang? How interesting is that? Do the blue shades contrast? Are you going to see which battery needs replaced first? I know my one year old I-Phone that cycles about everyday says it has a 87% max today for charging strength.

I am surprised you are missing everything important to your future and your multiple Ford EV's. You better be saving the money, because that scenario will reverse IMO. No way I am purchasing a EV now. A hybrid may be in my future, but pure EV, not a chance unless I need to take something golfing.

Wait until the utilities catch up. Don't know a utility that will lose money. That $9 a night shit will be history as ancient as the Roman Empire. Understand, the FEDS want you to comply and you are. You are very green and getting more green. Don't even insult us and tell us otherwise. You have multiple EV's! Plus waiting on additional units. WTF? They are watching the demand, and love you. Until you brown or black out soon. Then tell me about how well those things get you to wherever. Have you calculated how much gas it will take to fill up your gas generator to charge the car to drive down the road? Seems stupid, but I am sure the generator will fit in the bed of the new pickup and it will work fine.

Our new 50,000 public/fed charging stations? They can and will charge extreme prices for the energy. Once WE build the infrastructure to feed 50,000 "fast" stations, YOU WILL PAY.

Future Road Taxes? The Feds don't want to scare anyone yet. Enough of you need to comply first, then they will lower the boom. You can be sure they will know the miles you have driven the past year, and they will set some "reasonable" number for average fuel economy and then add the appropriate amount of Federal and State gas taxation, so you can also pay for the roads you are using along with all of us who are paying those taxes with our gas purchases.

Keep thinking that is costing $9 a night. It may today. Yesterday natural gas was $2.50/MMBtu (actually in Spring of 2021). Today it is $9. Oh, I guess that happened in one year! At that rate of increase, $32.4/mmBtu will be something else to consider next year! Think you have seen the utilities pass on that increase? Think about just how the cost of natural gas will be impacted this fall when Europe has none. Let's see, if the utility raises its costs by 4X that $9 becomes $36 a day. That is closer to $50, still a good deal, huh? Ten gallons a day = about $50? You must have one hell of a commute to some workplace we don't know of.

Have you seen the article today about the cost of fuel going exponential soon? Give it one hurricane or one refinery fire. But, don't worry, your electricity will stay cheap. Right?

Did you even read this lady's version of attempting to travel with a EV? Fairly inappropriate response, Sunshine.:sneaky:

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Interesting to see how a pickup compares to a Mustang? How interesting is that? Do the blue shades contrast? Are you going to see which battery needs replaced first? I know my one year old I-Phone that cycles about everyday says it has a 87% max today for charging strength.

I am surprised you are missing everything important to your future and your multiple Ford EV's. You better be saving the money, because that scenario will reverse IMO. No way I am purchasing a EV now. A hybrid may be in my future, but pure EV, not a chance unless I need to take something golfing.

Wait until the utilities catch up. Don't know a utility that will lose money. That $9 a night shit will be history as ancient as the Roman Empire. Understand, the FEDS want you to comply and you are. You are very green and getting more green. Don't even insult us and tell us otherwise. You have multiple EV's! Plus waiting on additional units. WTF? They are watching the demand, and love you. Until you brown or black out soon. Then tell me about how well those things get you to wherever. Have you calculated how much gas it will take to fill up your gas generator to charge the car to drive down the road? Seems stupid, but I am sure the generator will fit in the bed of the new pickup and it will work fine.

Our new 50,000 public/fed charging stations? They can and will charge extreme prices for the energy. Once WE build the infrastructure to feed 50,000 "fast" stations, YOU WILL PAY.

Future Road Taxes? The Feds don't want to scare anyone yet. Enough of you need to comply first, then they will lower the boom. You can be sure they will know the miles you have driven the past year, and they will set some "reasonable" number for average fuel economy and then add the appropriate amount of Federal and State gas taxation, so you can also pay for the roads you are using along with all of us who are paying those taxes with our gas purchases.

Keep thinking that is costing $9 a night. It may today. Yesterday natural gas was $2.50/MMBtu (actually in Spring of 2021). Today it is $9. Oh, I guess that happened in one year! At that rate of increase, $32.4/mmBtu will be something else to consider next year! Think you have seen the utilities pass on that increase? Think about just how the cost of natural gas will be impacted this fall when Europe has none. Let's see, if the utility raises its costs by 4X that $9 becomes $36 a day. That is closer to $50, still a good deal, huh? Ten gallons a day = about $50? You must have one hell of a commute to some workplace we don't know of.

Have you seen the article today about the cost of fuel going exponential soon? Give it one hurricane or one refinery fire. But, don't worry, your electricity will stay cheap. Right?

Did you even read this lady's version of attempting to travel with a EV? Fairly inappropriate response, Sunshine.:sneaky:
LOL I know a lot about all you talking about and I am car enthusiast to the max and always buy and sell my cars and trucks. I will enjoy the change up and of course I have all the ICE as well. Anyone here thinking the EV's are just a fade than you need to go to all the Board Meetings of all the ICE manufacturers and tell them stop making them and see how that all plays out. The Change is here and yes I know EV's will not save the world and not the reason I am buying them. The DODGE brand for the most part is done IMO being its all EV from this point on and once they release the HC replacement that will be the future of Fast vehicles from the Stellantis brand.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
The most Corrupt Administration in modern times and Media is controlling many’s thoughts and ways. The BS beyond BS energy shit is unbelievable and the Big Oil and Electricity Companies are playing to their Tune. But why you have to ask Why the hell is the oil industry and energy sector playing to the Biggest Ass Hat ever in office. Uh huh because Big Oil and Energy are making huge profits and they got pretty beat up during the SCAMDEMIC. Don’t be fooled Big Business is using many things right now to advance expensive stuff everywhere.
The reality to energy prices is not reality. Meaning if you look at the price of fuel say 10-20 years ago it was bouncing around in the $3 range and even low $4 as well in pockets of time. But yet everyone now is going NUTS over the price of fuel which in the realm of inflation over 20 years it should be $4 a gallon at 3 percent per year factors. The problem is everyone saw the barrel of oil go to -30 a barrel and had no value due to nobody was in the roads. So now everyone is comparing that scenario to complain about fuel prices and sure it’s no doubt about $1 out of range to reality of inflation. And now the News 24-7 complains all day long about fuel and energy prices. Kinda like the COVID SHIT 24-7 every day. But yet nobody complains about there house that was 300k value 3 years ago and is now 500k. Car prices from 20 years ago and even 10 years ago ridiculous beyond ridiculous. Health insurance double triple quadruple….
The list can go on and on and on which my point is now the Media is telling everyone to buy an EV uh huh. Yeh and the media was telling everyone Ass Hat in office is the better choice for the Country. Interesting Times.

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392

How about this horror story? IMO we here in the USA are NOT EVEN CLOSE to ready to have more of these on the road. Plus let us just see what the utilities need to charge soon. Remember natural gas was $1.64 in December 2019, and $9.43 today. That runs lots of peaking plants when the sun don’t shine.

I rented an electric car for a 4-day road trip. I spent more time charging it than I did sleeping.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/electric-car-four-day-trip-more-time-charging-sleeping
If she was smart, she could have doubled her vacation time by towing a trailer! :p

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

We just had a meeting about electric cars, power usage, etc. at work. According to our leaders they are really banking on most of those electric cars being charged at night when commerical electric demand is lower to be able to handle the load. We were told that if everyone switched to electric vehicles tomorrow and had the ability to all charge them tomorrow, our distribution network couldn't handle it with all of that residential draw overnight because all of the 220v chargers would eliminate the current load buffer for most residential areas.

They also had no idea where they would get the money to retrofit the grid to handle the draw that everyone having an electric vehicle would create in the short term. They said we would need years to be ready and that the high price of electric vehicles would give them time to make the necessary improvements in the grid.

I figure that most of the folks our ages should be good with our dinosaur extract powered vehicles for the majority of the remainder of our lives.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
According to our leaders they are really banking on most of those electric cars being charged at night when commerical electric demand is lower to be able to handle the load.
Well, duh. They're taking advantage of the time periods when solar and wind are at their peaks.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
We just had a meeting about electric cars, power usage, etc. at work. According to our leaders they are really banking on most of those electric cars being charged at night when commerical electric demand is lower to be able to handle the load. We were told that if everyone switched to electric vehicles tomorrow and had the ability to all charge them tomorrow, our distribution network couldn't handle it with all of that residential draw overnight because all of the 220v chargers would eliminate the current load buffer for most residential areas.

They also had no idea where they would get the money to retrofit the grid to handle the draw that everyone having an electric vehicle would create in the short term. They said we would need years to be ready and that the high price of electric vehicles would give them time to make the necessary improvements in the grid.

I figure that most of the folks our ages should be good with our dinosaur extract powered vehicles for the majority of the remainder of our lives.
Problem with that is it’s based on the premise of a sudden overnight disappearance of ICE vehicles, and that’s not happening. The single most recurring comment/argument against EV’s is always about how the current infrastructure wouldnt be able to handle it if the amount of EV’s suddenly matched or replaced the amount of current ICE vehicles. That is just not realistic. Gas powered vehicles are still being built. Millions are still on the road. By the time the pendulum swings the other way (long after we’re gone) infrastructure will also be forced to be modified and developed along the way. Don't ask me how, I‘m not debating how. I’m just thinking back to when gas powered automobiles were first built way back when. Probably no range, gas stations? Prob not even an option then. But over time it caught on and it became mainstream, infrastructure and all. Obviously a different era but to me the concept remains the same. 50-75 years from now infrastructure will be fine if EV’s really catch on. Especially if the government can profit from it. But it won’t need to power millions and millions of vehicles for a long time.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Oh this thread is too funny the EV take over ain’t gonna happen anytime soon. It’s 20 plus years at best half the country would maybe if even possible have electric vehicles. There is a very detailed article on this conversations about the churn of used cars to new cars. The average life of a car is 11-12 years plus. And now with remote working from home, Amazon delivery, Door dash food delivery, grocery delivery….etc the trade in for a EV vehicle is 10 plus Years and then add all the variables to change it ain’t gonna happen. It’s a pipe dream everyone dont get caught up in the hype of the BS media. The estimate is possible 1/3 of EV vehicles by 2035 plus and beyond.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

I don't own an electric mower..weed wacker..leaf blower..or even an electric razor..there will be no EV car here...I don't care how fast they are...

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I’m not concerned about EV’s. I just hate all the promotion. The EV ads on TV really rub me the wrong way because the average family or middle income person can’t afford those fancy Cadillac/Escalade/Audi/Mercedes/Volvo and, yes…Lightning, etc. BS new EV vehicles. Personally, I’d really rather not hear about them on here either, informational or not, especially if it’s Ford talk. I do not believe many of our forum participants will ever get one unless it has dual exhausts and sounds better than a Hellcat!

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
As a fleet truck, im very interested in an EV. If it can handle the work all day and then get plugged in at night to go another day, worth it.

But we only use 2 trucks and 2 vans at work and both vans are brand new.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Now don't go gettin CC all torqued up...:oops::oops:

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
What good is a EV?
Serious 0 to 60 unimaginable torque, the only things I'm interested in a vehicle.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Serious 0 to 60 unimaginable torque, the only things I'm interested in a vehicle.
a man with few interests

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
@Stormtrooper1320 next time you guys talk about charging the stuff in the evening or at night search “the duck curve”. Because the sun sets, and with greater penetration of solar, that is the worst idea! That is the point in each day where the demand already goes exponential and with more solar, the batteries are on line. That is a whole other problem.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
@Stormtrooper1320 next time you guys talk about charging the stuff in the evening or at night search “the duck curve”. Because the sun sets, and with greater penetration of solar, that is the worst idea! That is the point in each day where the demand already goes exponential and with more solar, the batteries are on line. That is a whole other problem.
You know how it goes in meetings like that. The giant talking heads spout off a bunch of stuff and when the "knuckle draggers" ask questions, they get nervous.

I really believe that at a certain level these folks are training to become politicians.

I've been jaded long ago that when these people start spreading their message to sound good, that it's usually BS.

Case in point this morning on our OPs call, we didn't want to pay for certain radio licenses for use of our smart grid tech, and now the bosses get pissed when we get bumped off the channels by those who did pay and have a higher priority on the channels. I find it hilarious that yet again, a multi-BILLION dollar company cheaped out and now gets pissed at the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.