Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Road Course Videos

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
Thanks for the invite, unfortunately my days of traveling are over.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thread Starter #122
I saw an indicated 167 with the 305/30 tires, but that was due to tire diameter change. ;)I never hit higher than 160 actual. I could . . . if I was more aggressive into Turn 1 but I'm happy around 130 mph there for now.
Agree, it don’t do much good. Now that we have it running “correct” I can concentrate on the right stuff and get down there quick and concentrate like we were talking about, on settling it down on those two corners next year with the good rubber.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #123
I'm not on the same level as these guys, but if you ever made it out to my way, HPR let's you take passengers out...
We need to check on the other groups, but the Performance School don’t allow riders any longer unless it is an instructor at BIR. That is bullshit, IMO.

@TrackDay what is going on with the other groups up there? Do we have a new track rule, or does the school NOT want to change the damn Covid restriction, which was the first time they stopped riders?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
We need to check on the other groups, but the Performance School don’t allow riders any longer unless it is an instructor at BIR. That is bullshit, IMO.

@TrackDay what is going on with the other groups up there? Do we have a new track rule, or does the school NOT want to change the damn Covid restriction, which was the first time they stopped riders?

The attitude at HPR is pretty loose, they literally say, "You have to wear a helmet, but other than that, we don't care, it's your head, wear what you want."

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #125
The attitude at HPR is pretty loose, they literally say, "You have to wear a helmet, but other than that, we don't care, it's your head, wear what you want."
The officials at Brainerd Performance School are now pricks, can’t see beyond their noses especially the lady in charge of billing/admin, they ran a crappy school day anyway because of their perfunctory job of allowing very inappropriate people into the Advanced Group. That NO RIDER shit is a hold over from COVID where they even published shit like masks were required outside in the pits!

Until things change I told them I will spread the word far and wide, they SUCK and will not see me again in their program.

Plus the track has more debris than anywhere. A rock found the upper 2mm of my windshield that was not protected with the film and I have a new crack! The car has many more strikes with rubber etc. that need special attention also.

Next year, it will be several ROAD AMERICA trips. They are re-paving it this fall!! They do serious track maintenance there.

@BULL when we get our stuff squared away etc. at that home in the mountains, we will show up at your track!

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Both my son and I are instructors now so we can have passengers or ride with others. I'm pretty sure most clubs now are following that rule, at least locally.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Thanks for the invite, unfortunately my days of traveling are over.
Whereabouts are you? Lots of us can make these cars move around road courses. Maybe we know someone nearby.

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
Again thanks. A year ago, maybe. No longer dare be far from home. One of the blessings of age.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
That could come back to bite them.if someone takes a bad spill. Every one is cool with it until they're looking at life in a wheel chair. Then the attorneys and lawsuits come out of the holsters.

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
That could come back to bite them.if someone takes a bad spill. Every one is cool with it until they're looking at life in a wheel chair. Then the attorneys and lawsuits come out of the holsters.
Mag, are you telling us you've never taken a chance before in your life ? If you live in a bubble you'll never experience life. If you haven't had a near death experience, then how can you say what other people are willing to take ? Make you piece with God now, before you chastise others for the choices they want to take.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Mag, are you telling us you've never taken a chance before in your life ? If you live in a bubble you'll never experience life. If you haven't had a near death experience, then how can you say what other people are willing to take ? Make you piece with God now, before you chastise others for the choices they want to take.
Oh, I've taken lots of risks, some very very very stupid. But as an attorney and business man I help others cover their asses and protect their businesses... unless that (the do what you want) is done very carefully it will likely end up burning the place down if an accident happens. Not saying don't do it if that's what the owners want to, but be aware of the risks and make an informed decision before deciding to accept that burden.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #132
Tough to find, this is the ONLY video at this point of the new paving at RA.

Can’t wait until I can drive this next season.

Since I was told BIR raised the cost of renting the large configuration more than 3X for the local Vette club next year, and they said fuck off to the new ownership and I agree, more trips to RA are going to happen next season!

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
So what brake pads are you running at these big courses?

I had the opportunity to do Watkins Glen a couple of weeks ago, and went thru a set of Brembos in a single day...

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #134
Hawk DTC-70

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

If you haven't already done this, measure your rotor thickness before and after your trip.

I'm curious to know how abrasive the Hawk pads are on the DP rotors.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #136
If you haven't already done this, measure your rotor thickness before and after your trip.

I'm curious to know how abrasive the Hawk pads are on the DP rotors.
Not much. At least not the way I use them on the track. I don’t run every lap like a hot lap. I put a new set of Hawk pads in May and new DP rotors. Kept them on all year. I use the Powerstops on the street. So after a RA partial weekend (a day), BIR 1/2 day, two Ozark full days, one full BIR day. I have about 5/32” of pad remaining. They did well, no taper but they are done. I just measured the DP rotor still on the car and get about 1 3/8” thickness. I went out and measured the OEM rotors which hardly have any use. Shit they measured about 1/32” smaller! The DP or GyroDisc rotors wear good, they are really resistant to physical wear. The one thing several of us do not like is they get visible heat checks in them.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
I also use Hawk DTC70 for track days. Overall I like them, but I have cooked them at Road America. Last month even at Brainerd I was feeling some inconsistencies in stopping that worried me.
My front 70 pads have very little material left after a 2 day track session. Of course that is with me and my son driving, but overall about 8 sessions. Picture is below.
I have a set of front DTC80 pads that have been sitting in the box for when I finally make it back to Road America. Somehow I need to get more air to the rotors too.
Front Girodisc rotors last me about 2 seasons, so about 4 track weekends before I start seeing enough surface cracks that I get worried.
I'm checking on the 21 and up rotors from Girodisc for next year. I should just have to space out my Viper calipers a small amount and voila, a little more heat sink area and stopping leverage. Can't hurt and the rotors are basically the same price as my replacement 16 models.
20221030_183447.jpg

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Tough to find, this is the ONLY video at this point of the new paving at RA.

Can’t wait until I can drive this next season.

Since I was told BIR raised the cost of renting the large configuration more than 3X for the local Vette club next year, and they said fuck off to the new ownership and I agree, more trips to RA are going to happen next season!

What was the rate before? Was it a once a month deal? X number of times per season?

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #139
What was the rate before? Was it a once a month deal? X number of times per season?
Fairly consistent for me. They last a few seasons. If I wanted, I could stomp the brakes harder and burn more metal. I don’t. Brake failure is not my preferred way to leave the track. I prefer engine and supercharger failures.:cool:

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
I also use Hawk DTC70 for track days. Overall I like them, but I have cooked them at Road America. Last month even at Brainerd I was feeling some inconsistencies in stopping that worried me.
My front 70 pads have very little material left after a 2 day track session. Of course that is with me and my son driving, but overall about 8 sessions. Picture is below.
I have a set of front DTC80 pads that have been sitting in the box for when I finally make it back to Road America. Somehow I need to get more air to the rotors too.
Front Girodisc rotors last me about 2 seasons, so about 4 track weekends before I start seeing enough surface cracks that I get worried.
I'm checking on the 21 and up rotors from Girodisc for next year. I should just have to space out my Viper calipers a small amount and voila, a little more heat sink area and stopping leverage. Can't hurt and the rotors are basically the same price as my replacement 16 models.
View attachment 86831
That'a a lot more meat than was left on my Brembos after 1 day at the Glen (4 half hour sessions). I also had significant taper. Leading edge was maybe half of that. Trailing end was roughly the same as your pic. (I'd post a pic, but they went in the trash the day after I returned)

Not sure if the Hawks would wear more evenly or not. Certainly going to give them a go...

Stock rotors are holding up surprisingly well...