Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Calling out all Luddites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I thought you were a Sanford and Son kinda guy??
Blissfully unaware of what kind of guy that is.
I'm an import, remember?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Blissfully unaware of what kind of guy that is.
I'm an import, remember?
California?

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
For starters I'm 63 yrs old. I have owned lots of fast ICE vehicles...know Jay Leno personally...way back before he could cover a meal..after a club north of Boston...

Always wanted my father to special order a Ford 427 Cammer...but what did he purchase? A 1967 Ford Custom 500 with a 289....

I never owned a Mopar until the 2007 Jeep SRT..

On the other hand I had a 1972 Jeep CJ5 that I had to to go to court in CT for a speeding ticket in 1977 for 135 MPH...
It had a blown 401 AMC....

Plus other speeding violations over the years....

Today I rip up Connecticut , Massachusetts and Rhode Island roads schooling BMW's Mercs and any other manufacturer that the owner thinks is fast..
I know the Trackhawk can hold and overtake a Dual Motor Tesla on Long Island NY on the Expressway..

But yet I find the new Mopar electrics fascinating..

Imagine a full blown Hemi running a generator...

Way back when..Blower Drive Service used a 426 Hemi to test the biggest 14-71blowers on the Blower test stand....because they couldn't find a electric motor to turn it from a dead stop...

So us gearheads need to mover into electrics? Do you feel intimated at 800 volts.. I don't.

I want a muscle car to move on 2000 volts..
With a 1500 hp Hemi turning a D/C 50 KW generator ...

As far as I can see only gas Luddites are scared of electricity.

OR are you gearheads scared of voltage?

Me thinks you are.....
Nope not scared at all been working on VFD motor controls for a while they they take in AC be it single or 3 phase, rectify to DC, step up to high DC voltage many hundreds of volts, then invert to AC with variable frequency. What makes me nervous is taming 800 volts, in the new Dodge technology in a lithium pack. I am sure they will get down, I just don’t think I want to be the test mule. 426 Hemi in the Hellaphant version or gen 2 Hemi of 64 to 71 combined with electric could be very cool. Just don’t know how electric only would have the hart and sole of an ICE engine.

Last edited:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Most recently, yes, that's what I fled from. Before that, from across the pond.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Lithium-ion battery related fires on the rise in Loudoun-Fire Chief
Fires caused by charging lithium ion battery packs used in smart phones, electric cars, laptops and related devices are "a cause for alarm," not just in Loudoun County, but for the nation in general, Loudoun Fire and Rescue Chief Keith Johnson told the Board of Supervisors Sept. 6.
"Lithium ion battery fires have become a cause of alarm for the fire service," Johnson said.
Between May 2021 and September 2022, Johnson noted that LCFR has responded to eight fires related to lithium ion battery charging that have resulted in $11.8 million in total damages. This includes $5 million in damages arising from a May 3 fire incident in Leesburg involving the charging of a lithium ion battery pack. In April, an Ashburn garage fire also was caused by a lithium battery malfunction during the charging of an electric vehicle, resulting in $15,000 in damages and displacement of one individual.
Lithium batteries are increasingly used to power laptops, cell phones, electric bikes and scooters, remote-controlled cars, drones, hoverboards and e-cigarettes. In addition, a nationwide push to move away from gasoline fueled motor cars to electric cars has led to their use as well. However, Johnson noted, iPhone charging is not as much a issue in Loudoun as are charging of hoverboards, e-bikes and e-scooters.
The main problem with lithium ion technology is that these battery packs have a tendency to overheat and spontaneously combust when charging, Johnson explained.
"Often people will plug their e-bike, their e-scooter, their hoverboard or whatever device they are using.. .into the charging system of their home. They plug it in and forget about it. They leave it on the workbench, they leave it in the garage, they charge it in bedroom of the home," he said. "You absolutely can't do that; you have to monitor the battery while its being charged."
Between 2017 and 2019, a US Fire Administration report found that misuse of a product or material, such as placing it too close to a heat source, operational deficiency from unattended equipment and electrical malfunction accounted for 77% of non-confined fires in residential buildings.
A day after Johnson delivered his remarks, the county's fire and rescue team found itself responding to a fire blazing out of a third story window at the back of an apartment building in the 1100 block of Huntsman Terrace in northeast Leesburg. The fire was sparked by an electrical malfunction due to the use of an incompatible smart phone charger and cord.

Although no occupants were injured in the six units making up the three-story building, LCFR estimates $250,000 in damages to the unit in question and roughly $625,000 in total damages to all six units, according to spokeswoman Jennifer Bragiel.
Bragiel said the Sept. 7 fire underscores the need to educate the public about being aware of the dangers of leaving battery charging unsupervised.
During the board business meeting, Johnson said the five boroughs of New York City reported 126 fires related to lithium ion battery charging between Jan. 1 and Aug. 15 of this year, marking a 233% increase over the prior year. Until May of this year, New York had recorded 18 fires involving 66 injuries and five deaths. The situation has gotten so bad that the city is considering banning e-bikes and e-scooters, he added.
While Johnson is not recommending that Loudoun take such an extreme step as New York, he advised residents to refrain from using chargers and cables that have not been approved by the manufacturer. He emphasized the need for monitoring the charging activity at all times, making sure that a device or battery is not charged near a combustible material, such as a pillow, a bed, a mattress, or a couch. He also warned against using frayed, worn or discolored cables.
Supervisor Matt Letourneau, R-Dulles, asked whether the same advice should be followed for charging electric vehicles.
Johnson noted that lithium batteries for electric vehicles are different. However, he emphasized that people should follow the manufacturer's instructions when it comes to charging electric vehicles in response to Loudoun Supervisor Sylvia Glass, D-Broad Run, who asked what people should and can do to avoid fires related to charging such vehicles.
"The bottom line is you just can't leave the battery unattended while its being charged," he added, especially if it is being charged in a garage, a foyer or inside a bedroom.
Saying Johnson's presentation both "terrified and fascinated her," Supervisor Juli Briskman, D-Algonkian, declared that she would make sure no more phones were charged in the bedrooms.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Most recently, yes, that's what I fled from. Before that, from across the pond.
Japan?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
While I have three RH drive vehicles, no not that pond.
Anyway... Sanford and Son was a TV show and they were junk dealers in California, Watts I believe. So with your equipment, you could possibly be one?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Anyway... Sanford and Son was a TV show and they were junk dealers in California, Watts I believe. So with your equipment, you could possibly be one?
Okay, I can certainly see the connection there. But while I was born a poor black child, I grew out of it.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Okay, I can certainly see the connection there. But while I was born a poor black child, I grew out of it.
I became high yellow.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
For starters I'm 63 yrs old. I have owned lots of fast ICE vehicles...know Jay Leno personally...way back before he could cover a meal..after a club north of Boston...

Always wanted my father to special order a Ford 427 Cammer...but what did he purchase? A 1967 Ford Custom 500 with a 289....

I never owned a Mopar until the 2007 Jeep SRT..

On the other hand I had a 1972 Jeep CJ5 that I had to to go to court in CT for a speeding ticket in 1977 for 135 MPH...
It had a blown 401 AMC....

Plus other speeding violations over the years....

Today I rip up Connecticut , Massachusetts and Rhode Island roads schooling BMW's Mercs and any other manufacturer that the owner thinks is fast..
I know the Trackhawk can hold and overtake a Dual Motor Tesla on Long Island NY on the Expressway..

But yet I find the new Mopar electrics fascinating..

Imagine a full blown Hemi running a generator...

Way back when..Blower Drive Service used a 426 Hemi to test the biggest 14-71blowers on the Blower test stand....because they couldn't find a electric motor to turn it from a dead stop...

So us gearheads need to mover into electrics? Do you feel intimated at 800 volts.. I don't.

I want a muscle car to move on 2000 volts..
With a 1500 hp Hemi turning a D/C 50 KW generator ...

As far as I can see only gas Luddites are scared of electricity.

OR are you gearheads scared of voltage?

Me thinks you are.....

You had me at 135 in a CJ

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Did the government mandate a change from horses to tractors? I’m not anti EV, though I don’t want it, but I don’t like things being shoved down our throats based a “feelings science”. If EV technology is so great, efficient, effective and reasonably environmentally safe, then let the free market decide. Some people still like Vinyl records…at least the government didn’t demonize those…yet.
As the US is a government of the people by the people (or so we say) the government is only doing what we ask them to do. As I have said many times, if that can't be articulated in a way that garners a majority at the poles then there is a good possibility that the majority of the people are for that particular thing. And democracy assure the will of the majority prevails, while the law provides that the rights.of the minority are preserved as far as possible and fundamental rights protected absolutely ( no building concentration camps for folks who want to keep their ICE motors until they die, no camps for trumpets, no camps for bideners, none for blacks, none for smokers, none for fat folks either...)

Is it perfect? No. Is it the best system.yet devised? Hell yes, in my opinion.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Fires caused by charging lithium ion battery packs used in smart phones, electric cars, laptops and related devices are "a cause for alarm," not just in Loudoun County, but for the nation in general, Loudoun Fire and Rescue Chief Keith Johnson told the Board of Supervisors Sept. 6.
"Lithium ion battery fires have become a cause of alarm for the fire service," Johnson said.
Between May 2021 and September 2022, Johnson noted that LCFR has responded to eight fires related to lithium ion battery charging that have resulted in $11.8 million in total damages. This includes $5 million in damages arising from a May 3 fire incident in Leesburg involving the charging of a lithium ion battery pack. In April, an Ashburn garage fire also was caused by a lithium battery malfunction during the charging of an electric vehicle, resulting in $15,000 in damages and displacement of one individual.
Lithium batteries are increasingly used to power laptops, cell phones, electric bikes and scooters, remote-controlled cars, drones, hoverboards and e-cigarettes. In addition, a nationwide push to move away from gasoline fueled motor cars to electric cars has led to their use as well. However, Johnson noted, iPhone charging is not as much a issue in Loudoun as are charging of hoverboards, e-bikes and e-scooters.
The main problem with lithium ion technology is that these battery packs have a tendency to overheat and spontaneously combust when charging, Johnson explained.
"Often people will plug their e-bike, their e-scooter, their hoverboard or whatever device they are using.. .into the charging system of their home. They plug it in and forget about it. They leave it on the workbench, they leave it in the garage, they charge it in bedroom of the home," he said. "You absolutely can't do that; you have to monitor the battery while its being charged."
Between 2017 and 2019, a US Fire Administration report found that misuse of a product or material, such as placing it too close to a heat source, operational deficiency from unattended equipment and electrical malfunction accounted for 77% of non-confined fires in residential buildings.
A day after Johnson delivered his remarks, the county's fire and rescue team found itself responding to a fire blazing out of a third story window at the back of an apartment building in the 1100 block of Huntsman Terrace in northeast Leesburg. The fire was sparked by an electrical malfunction due to the use of an incompatible smart phone charger and cord.

Although no occupants were injured in the six units making up the three-story building, LCFR estimates $250,000 in damages to the unit in question and roughly $625,000 in total damages to all six units, according to spokeswoman Jennifer Bragiel.
Bragiel said the Sept. 7 fire underscores the need to educate the public about being aware of the dangers of leaving battery charging unsupervised.
During the board business meeting, Johnson said the five boroughs of New York City reported 126 fires related to lithium ion battery charging between Jan. 1 and Aug. 15 of this year, marking a 233% increase over the prior year. Until May of this year, New York had recorded 18 fires involving 66 injuries and five deaths. The situation has gotten so bad that the city is considering banning e-bikes and e-scooters, he added.
While Johnson is not recommending that Loudoun take such an extreme step as New York, he advised residents to refrain from using chargers and cables that have not been approved by the manufacturer. He emphasized the need for monitoring the charging activity at all times, making sure that a device or battery is not charged near a combustible material, such as a pillow, a bed, a mattress, or a couch. He also warned against using frayed, worn or discolored cables.
Supervisor Matt Letourneau, R-Dulles, asked whether the same advice should be followed for charging electric vehicles.
Johnson noted that lithium batteries for electric vehicles are different. However, he emphasized that people should follow the manufacturer's instructions when it comes to charging electric vehicles in response to Loudoun Supervisor Sylvia Glass, D-Broad Run, who asked what people should and can do to avoid fires related to charging such vehicles.
"The bottom line is you just can't leave the battery unattended while its being charged," he added, especially if it is being charged in a garage, a foyer or inside a bedroom.
Saying Johnson's presentation both "terrified and fascinated her," Supervisor Juli Briskman, D-Algonkian, declared that she would make sure no more phones were charged in the bedrooms.
RIGHT. Let me add one current item that supports the contention that rechargeable lithium type batteries can and WILL cause fires EVEN when they are not actively being recharged or discharged. Go ask the airlines how many they will allow in the baggage hold! ANY type and size. Now the OP wants us to consider 800V under our ass? DISCHARGING one it at the rate I was discharging GASOLINE on a road course as I was doing this weekend? F&(k my GoPro was even hot after my sessions! How many volts do those old little things run on? @swatdocsc watched! How cool would it be to just have flames trailing me from one of those on FIRE dude? They would have been really talking about the Mopar's on the track.:coffee:

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye

Going to borrow this my friend.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
IMG_20220911_114527_405.jpg

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Fear?

Preference...

; )

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
Your age is about average (here).
I'm 62.
I know the future is electric, but not yet.
This country doesn't have the infrastructure to kill off the ICE.
Also, abrupt ICE banning would destroy the WORLD'S economies, similar to what is happening now (in the USA).
I get it, but not yet.

I’m the outlier that makes the average age just slightly lower! 😁 Downside is that I feel so much older than all these young’ns round here.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I was very disappointed to open this thread and find out we are not talking about the comeback of ‘ludes.

Seems the only drug we’re talking about is the crack the OP is smoking.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I was very disappointed to open this thread and find out we are not talking about the comeback of ‘ludes.

Seems the only drug we’re talking about is the crack the OP is smoking.
All hail the 714.

I just don't understand how something so good could've been discontinued. It's a travesty of justice on all counts.

Oh well.....gives me something else to look forward to when I move to Mexico. :p:p

Status
Not open for further replies.