Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Wow did I just convince myself to buy an Electric CAR😳

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
Last edited:

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
^^^ EXACTLY !!!

If you want to do something like that, would be smarter to get this:
https://www.tesla.com/solarpanels
Solar panels have efficiency degradation within a 10 year life span , so plan on maintenance costs you need to factor in to replace them. Don't think they will last forever ! After figuring in the maintenance costs do you really think the power generated from the panels is still FREE ? It's kind of like a lifetime warranty, when the damned thing breaks the lifetime has expired along with the warranty. The batteries in EV cars also don't last forever and their charge efficiency drops considerably charge after charge.

Ask yourself ? How many lithium powered batteries have failed with your battery powered tools ? Does the batter still have that same power when it was new ? Will it still take a charge and last as long ?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Mounting the OEM wheels on the Hellcat. We are within perhaps a week not more than two to fire up that hybrid. Too early in the season for the chrome. That hybrid will be out burning tires, pads, gas and ass!

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Solar panels have efficiency degradation within a 10 year life span , so plan on maintenance costs you need to factor in to replace them. Don't think they will last forever ! After figuring in the maintenance costs do you really think the power generated from the panels is still FREE ? It's kind of like a lifetime warranty, when the damned thing breaks the lifetime has expired along with the warranty. The batteries in EV cars also don't last forever and their charge efficiency drops considerably charge after charge.

Ask yourself ? How many lithium powered batteries have failed with your battery powered tools ? Does the batter still have that same power when it was new ? Will it still take a charge and last as long ?
I agree and I'm not 'advocating' solar panels & Tesla's powerwall, just saying it seems a better choice than using your PU to power your house ;)

My lithium battery powered snazzy TV remote pretty much says it all. The batteries degrade over 2 - 3 years of daily use & need to be replaced. I use a stand-alone charger and 2 batteries I rotate. As time passes, they take longer to charge and produce less 'run time'. No reason to expect any of these giant car batteries will perform differently in the long run.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Shall we talk about the Tesla driver friends of mine who can’t make the batteries work very well in very cold weather?

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #106
Ok just got back in from driving and working around the Dc metro Md Va beltway. Drove 111 miles and used 42% of the battery and or used 91 miles of battery power. Back road driving and then beltway driving up to 75mph and stop and go traffic as well.
first pic is start mileage and second is end mileage
58A7E64E-5E5D-4C8A-95C4-1ACBE9E7D70B.jpeg A285D6B8-85A3-4610-BFFB-189B263701E9.jpeg

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Shall we talk about the Tesla driver friends of mine who can’t make the batteries work very well in very cold weather?
Friends don't let friends drive teslas:unsure:

SilverBillet

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Too much Charging and not enough Challenger in this discussion.

Although, I fully understand that charging those dumb EVs is challenging.

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #110
How do you feel about it so far @ChargerChallenger?
Its a really nice car believe it or not and she is really tight on the build. Drives like a performance vehicle on the back roads and the instant propulsion is real and just like kicking it in a Ice car. I am doing videos on this and will post them for all to see.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
Too much Charging and not enough Challenger in this discussion.

Although, I fully understand that charging those dumb EVs is challenging.
A poet and don't know it. :cool:

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye Widebody
Ok just got back in from driving and working around the Dc metro Md Va beltway. Drove 111 miles and used 42% of the battery and or used 91 miles of battery power. Back road driving and then beltway driving up to 75mph and stop and go traffic as well.
first pic is start mileage and second is end mileage
View attachment 65954 View attachment 65955
So I notice you have 335 miles on the odometer. I left home last Friday evening, drove 290 miles to a racetrack. Drove in and around for the weekend, plus 218 miles of actual track time (9 sessions) at a respectable speed of up to 131mph, then another 290 miles home Sunday evening. More than double your total mileage in three days driving. Cannot do this in an EV without spare battery packs, if it is even possible then. But I would be curious if you could take my challenge above to see what real world range would be, with no extra effort to be thrifty. Screenshot_20220311-170735_TrackAddict.jpg

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I beat this lap time by over 2 1/2 seconds on my best for the weekend at 1.415. So for the test, if you could use the above as a guide every 1.5 minutes for 20 minutes or so, I would be very curious as to how much range you would have remaining. I was getting 4.7mpg for about 68 miles between <15 min fillups. Nobody has done a test like this that I am aware of, so you can be the first!

Blown7

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Woodstock
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Trackhawk
Bottom line..
When and how long do battery packs last.?
And how much to replace them?
It all sounds nice..but nothings a free lunch..not even a ICE powered Trackhawk.

SilverBillet

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
So I notice you have 335 miles on the odometer. I left home last Friday evening, drove 290 miles to a racetrack. Drove in and around for the weekend, plus 218 miles of actual track time (9 sessions) at a respectable speed of up to 131mph, then another 290 miles home Sunday evening. More than double your total mileage in three days driving. Cannot do this in an EV without spare battery packs, if it is even possible then. But I would be curious if you could take my challenge above to see what real world range would be, with no extra effort to be thrifty. View attachment 65957
You’re right! The track needs some fast charging power stations for EV’s or EV’s would not be able to play much if at all…but you did not drive 290+290+218=798 miles on one tank of gas!

Last edited:

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
You did not drive 290+290+218=798 miles on one tank of gas!
Absolutely did not. It was several $50+ fillups of gas. I was averaging 4.7mpg on track, and 18-19 enroute to and frkm the track. BUT...I can drive 80+ and make it the 290 miles to Homestead (or home) on one tank. Probably be able to do that in 20 years in this vehicle. And when I stop for fuel, it takes 10-15 min to fill up and I'm back on the road. Now because the tank is only 18.5 gallons, it is not a good idea to try to get two 20 min sessions out of one tank. If you are on track and driving a respectable pace, the fuel slosh with only 3-4 gallons in the tank can cause fuel starvation or burn up the fuel pump (had that happen once before). Two 20 min sessions you might/can make, but if one session is over 20 min you will run low on the second session if you are doing it right. Point is, I can go to the pump, top off in 10-15 min, and just let it eat next session. I don't think you can do that with an EV. Most will never know, as very, very few us use these cars like a few of us do. But even for a regular road trip, I can get on down the road after a short fillup until I want to stop for longer. I am not convinced an EV can do that.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I think you're very generous with the 10-15 minute fill time. It takes me less than 10 minutes including filling in the log book and resetting Trip A.

Have you tried squeezing the handle on the nozzle past the first click, where fuel starts to come out?

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #118
So I notice you have 335 miles on the odometer. I left home last Friday evening, drove 290 miles to a racetrack. Drove in and around for the weekend, plus 218 miles of actual track time (9 sessions) at a respectable speed of up to 131mph, then another 290 miles home Sunday evening. More than double your total mileage in three days driving. Cannot do this in an EV without spare battery packs, if it is even possible then. But I would be curious if you could take my challenge above to see what real world range would be, with no extra effort to be thrifty. View attachment 65957
Really nice times and I am not the Race Car Guy but there are some Gt Mach E guys that apparently are doing the courses and I will YouTube some if I find them. But honestly didn't buy the car to compete against the ICE age guys.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
But honestly didn't buy the car to compete against the ICE age guys.
It just feels good to shoot yourself in the foot, huh?

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD