Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Diaper Time… 😬

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Haha. If you ever talked to them on the phone back then you probably talked to my wife. She gave me my first choice of the Renegade series numbers. That was back when Gliden and Murillo were running Outlaw. I didn’t have the budget to run with them.
Actually I talked with James Lawrence a few times

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #42
Yep. I have no idea if James and Steve are still in the game. That was a long time ago. That whole thing is a lot bigger now. They wouldn’t let me do what was needed with the DOHC Mod Motor to be competitive. I was the only one running it and I needed to run a electric water pump to get rid of the single belt needed to run the supercharger and accessories. It didn’t work at the boost I needed with the Paxton Novi I was running. I think they were afraid I would dominate with that new motor and outrun all the 5.0 based cars. They wouldn’t compromise so I quit. So much for Mustang racing. 😝

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Speaking of cost, what were you guys using as budget figures then.

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #44
Speaking of cost, what were you guys using as budget figures then.
That was so long ago I can’t remember exactly but I I think I had around $40k in the mods (year 2000 dollars of coarse). The centrifugal supercharger was around $4k. The engine was built keeping the stock crank but with aftermarket rods and pistons. Heads were ported but the OHC valve train and cams were left stock. Not much available in that dept for those at that time. The intake was “ported” using what was called extrude honing. Basically pushing abrasive goo thru the thing under pressure. I don’t think they do that anymore 😂. The engine assembly was done by me at the shop. The trans was a built C4 with the same B&M Ratchet Shifter I was using 20 years later on my T400 in the Hellcat. The 8.8 rear was plenty strong but I did replace the diff with a spool and heavy axles. I hand built the headers on the car and also built the 8.5 cert cage myself in the shop, so there was a fair amount of money saved because labor costs on the build were zero. It made almost 800whp on the dyno which was pretty good back then considering it was only 289 ci. It would have made more but we were forced to use a 6 rib serpentine belt to drive the SC in addition to accessories. Couldn’t keep the belt on the damn thing and the NMRA wouldn’t allow us (mod motor) the exception to go to a electric water pump that would have allowed a shorter belt on the SC. The 5.0’s used a second belt for the SC (like we do now) so they didn’t have that problem. I wasn’t heads up competitive with the fast guys in that class and the NMRA wasn’t being understanding so I didn’t pursue it past the first year. I parted out the motor and trans and sold the roller to a guy in Tucson, AZ who put a BB Ford with a PG in it.

Last edited:

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
. It’s a total 🤕
When I hear “it’s totaled” makes me think that insurance doesn’t want to fix it.
Are they able to make an insurance claim through one of the insurance companies that’s supposed to insure that sort of thing? That’d be great to hear.

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #46
When I hear “it’s totaled” makes me think that insurance doesn’t want to fix it.
Are they able to make an insurance claim through one of the insurance companies that’s supposed to insure that sort of thing? That’d be great to hear.
She clarified her statement that she’s saying goodbye to the car. It’s going to be torn down and rebuilt into a DragPak conversion. What she meant was it won’t be the “same” car when it’s done. Thats good.

Last edited:
OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #47
As far as insurance goes…. It’s my understanding that if the damage takes place on a organized racetrack…. You’re not covered. I guess you can go out and wreck your car being a intoxicated jackass and you’re covered but on a track…. You’re not. That could depend on the company but I’m guessing it’s in the fine print. I have mine insured for loss as a race car, but in order to do that I had to cancel my registration. They are a specialty company that doesn’t insure for street use. They said that if my registration is current their coverage will be void.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Each ins. co. will have their own rules. My ins. guy told me that as long as you're not signed up in a sanctioned event it will be covered, TNT & casual racing they still cover. My ins. paid for my crash.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
If you are getting serious about racing your car, you should absolutely have one.
It also cuts down on clean up time and other racers will thank you for it.

Glad she is okay

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
That was so long ago I can’t remember exactly but I I think I had around $40k in the mods (2020 dollars of coarse). The centrifugal supercharger was around $4k. The engine was built keeping the stock crank but with aftermarket rods and pistons. Heads were ported but the OHC valve train and cams were left stock. Not much available in that dept for those at that time. The intake was “ported” using what was called extrude honing. Basically pushing abrasive goo thru the thing under pressure. I don’t think they do that anymore 😂. The engine assembly was done by me at the shop. The trans was a built C4 with the same B&M Ratchet Shifter I was using 20 years later on my T400 in the Hellcat. The 8.8 rear was plenty strong but I did replace the diff with a spool and heavy axles. I hand built the headers on the car and also built the 8.5 cert cage myself in the shop, so there was a fair amount of money saved because labor costs on the build were zero. It made almost 800whp on the dyno which was pretty good back then considering it was only 289 ci. It would have made more but we were forced to use a 6 rib serpentine belt to drive the SC in addition to accessories. Couldn’t keep the belt on the damn thing and the NMRA wouldn’t allow us (mod motor) the exception to go to a electric water pump that would have allowed a shorter belt on the SC. The 5.0’s used a second belt for the SC (like we do now) so they didn’t have that problem. I wasn’t heads up competitive with the fast guys in that class and the NMRA wasn’t being understanding so I didn’t pursue it past the first year. I parted out the motor and trans and sold the roller to a guy in Tucson, AZ who put a BB Ford with a PG in it.
Nice build. Always nice to hear a good one.

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #52
Hagerty has track insurance, a couple different ways. Wasn’t sure if anyone here had experience with it -
Annual non-competition track insurance
https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/motorsports-insurance
I did some shopping. First… my “regular” insurance wouldn’t insure it for more than book value for a 2016 Hellcat. It has obviously got a lot more in it. With cars like this, you need a policy for stated value. The problem I encountered right off the bat with Hagerty and others was proof of value. They wanted a detailed spreadsheet of the build costs. That’s not a problem if you are purchasing a shop built race car, where you are basically buying a finished product. Small shop/owner built cars like mine, that are pieced together over time using parts sourced sometimes from other individuals and busting my own knuckles in my garage…. Yeah let me get right on that. I went with a company named Lauris. They had me give them a basic list of the build and required some specific pictures of the car that they could use to determine if my stated value was realistic. They know what it cost to build by having somebody who knows look at the pictures. Apparently Hagerty doesn’t employ people with that knowledge. I have a stated value of $150k on the car. They charge $100 per $10k value for off track coverage. For $1500 I get total loss coverage for everything except starting line to turn-off. They will insure that, but it’s considerably more expensive so I’ll take responsibility for that. The biggest risk in my opinion is on the road in the trailer. The worst case would be theft. Crashing the car is one thing. There’s still a valuable driveline left to salvage. Somebody boosts the trailer with the car in it and we’re looking at a quarter mil loss just like that with everything added.

Last edited:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
How much did you budget for the actual racing? Fuel, fees, food, place to stay, incidentals, etc... how many races per year, how many TNT runs? Etc...

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #54
I was in SoCal and the races weren’t. Local tnt was basically nothing cost wise. They still had some tracks open back then. The NMRA was something else. St Louis, Redding, Houston. I really didn’t have a “budget” determined for that. It cost a fortune to campaign a series and it’s much worse today. That’s why I can’t run MSHS as a series. I’ll have to move to N Carolina or someplace back there to even think about doing that. When I ran Pro Stock Motorcycle in the NHRA back in the ‘80’s, my sponsor paid me $15k for travel expenses per season. You can imagine what that would be now 40 years later.

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
That was so long ago I can’t remember exactly but I I think I had around $40k in the mods (2020 dollars of coarse). The centrifugal supercharger was around $4k. The engine was built keeping the stock crank but with aftermarket rods and pistons. Heads were ported but the OHC valve train and cams were left stock. Not much available in that dept for those at that time. The intake was “ported” using what was called extrude honing. Basically pushing abrasive goo thru the thing under pressure. I don’t think they do that anymore 😂. The engine assembly was done by me at the shop. The trans was a built C4 with the same B&M Ratchet Shifter I was using 20 years later on my T400 in the Hellcat. The 8.8 rear was plenty strong but I did replace the diff with a spool and heavy axles. I hand built the headers on the car and also built the 8.5 cert cage myself in the shop, so there was a fair amount of money saved because labor costs on the build were zero. It made almost 800whp on the dyno which was pretty good back then considering it was only 289 ci. It would have made more but we were forced to use a 6 rib serpentine belt to drive the SC in addition to accessories. Couldn’t keep the belt on the damn thing and the NMRA wouldn’t allow us (mod motor) the exception to go to a electric water pump that would have allowed a shorter belt on the SC. The 5.0’s used a second belt for the SC (like we do now) so they didn’t have that problem. I wasn’t heads up competitive with the fast guys in that class and the NMRA wasn’t being understanding so I didn’t pursue it past the first year. I parted out the motor and trans and sold the roller to a guy in Tucson, AZ who put a BB Ford with a PG in it.
Muscle Mustangs mag followed Anderson's Renegade built with cost and it was around 40k. I figured I must have been in the ballpark of that