Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Built HP90 Limits?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
good luck but do yourself a favor when you go to the turbo build contact James Golden, he went through all the heart aches of getting that car too perform and I promise you that talking to someone with actual on hand experience, none of us who has replied has actually ran turbos on our hellcat
I agree with that! He works directly with AJ and there’s nobody better. Also…. He ditched the 4l80 for the 400. Ask him what he thinks about that. 😂

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I agree with that! He works directly with AJ and there’s nobody better. Also…. He ditched the 4l80 for the 400. Ask him what he thinks about that. 😂
😂🤣 I did say I Believed he still had the 4l80e but I do stand by it with the lockup but may you know if they incorporate a lock up for the 400 I heard awhile back someone was working on it

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
😂🤣 I did say I Believed he still had the 4l80e but I do stand by it with the lockup but may you know if they incorporate a lock up for the 400 I heard awhile back someone was working on it
Marc is a good guy but he went to 400 back before we found out the hp90 could actually go in the low eights and then found out from me that you can go 8s and not have to put all that money in it to get there 😁

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
It’s not just the power but the weight… going 8s in a race car is a little different than going 8s in a DD… you have to paint a complete picture of what you’re trying to do to get sage advice.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Mines a daily,it sits daily until it’s ready to rage again 😁

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Marc is a good guy but he went to 400 back before we found out the hp90 could actually go in the low eights and then found out from me that you can go 8s and not have to put all that money in it to get there 😁
Haha. I’m just sooo in love with the 400 I’ll talk shit about anything else. 😂. Especially on the street! I’ll never forget, when after getting the 400 up and running, Tommy Peters (SRT Autoworks) took it out on the street and came back laughing his ass off about how bitchin that was!!! The way it puts the power down with those gear ratios instead of spinning. He hammers down on 1000hp Hellcats all day long over there, and the way the 400 would put it to the ground and pull was a amazing thing. It’s more than just the how much can it take question.

OP
GNBRETT

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Thread Starter #27
What is the weight difference between the TH400 and the HP90?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
A word (opinion) on the DD “Street” car vs “Race” car. These things when tuned and set up properly could be driven all day long on the street. That includes the T400. If one of your requirements is getting out on the Interstate and going cross country at 80 mph then… that’s not very practical as far as fuel mileage goes. Doable but… 😬. We have a car that is built (equipped) to do the Race Week/Power Tour stuff. That’s a cross country drive with multiple race track stops during a week long event. It’s a Dodge Magnum with a 430ci Hellcat/Whipple DragPak/T400. Management is via Holley EFI (Dominator). That thing runs like a grocery getter. This is of coarse a “race” car. But it is also a street car. I rode in it 120 miles the other night to do some testing down in Mexico and it purred like a kitten at 75mph out on I-15. It’s got all the required street stuff… lights, turn signals… even a horn. Point is….. in todays computer performance world, monster cars making thousands of hp can be docile street comfortable drivers too.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Haha. I’m just sooo in love with the 400 I’ll talk shit about anything else. 😂. Especially on the street! I’ll never forget, when after getting the 400 up and running, Tommy Peters (SRT Autoworks) took it out on the street and came back laughing his ass off about how bitchin that was!!! The way it puts the power down with those gear ratios instead of spinning. He hammers down on 1000hp Hellcats all day long over there, and the way the 400 would put it to the ground and pull was a amazing thing. It’s more than just the how much can it take question.
Please not one way to question it

line up with an 8HPXTREME 😂

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Please not one way to question it

line up with an 8HPXTREME 😂
Ok. 1.18 sixty (with the rear wheels) 8.09 blower only 😘 5DE3C8BC-18F2-48BE-B2C7-BA0B10D9FEC4.jpeg

OP
GNBRETT

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Thread Starter #31
8.09 blower only geeeeez Marc........

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Wait a minute was that a Texas good air run ?? 😂

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Wait a minute was that a Texas good air run ?? 😂
Well yea…… just like down there in Tennessee 🙄. That air is coming back soon and we are too. I’m thinking 7.7’s this time. See you there?

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Well yea…… just like down there in Tennessee 🙄. That air is coming back soon and we are too. I’m thinking 7.7’s this time. See you there?
Here in Memphis hood air is 100 plus index
And yes I’m signed up for Texas too 😁

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
What is the weight difference between the TH400 and the HP90?
60 lbs lighter

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Loser has to give me their transmission for R&D purposes 😂

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
I've had a lot of success with the HP90. I've tuned a couple running 7's (mine included), several running low 8's, and countless more that are generally running 8's, 9's or 10's. There was even one car on a factory 2.4L blower with nitrous that was consistently running 8.50's then later 8.30-8.40 on a completely stock HP90.

Would my car be faster with something like a TH400? Probably, there's a lot going for it with decades of R&D built up for it and it puts forth some key advantages including mature race converter options, less opportunity loss from shifting a million times going down the track, a trans brake for better consistency and reaction times, just a few big ones off the top of my head.

I get called out by a lot of high 7 second mustangs around where I am, I nearly always loose to them all just cause of the reaction time difference between how their cars are setup versus mine with the HP90.

Last edited:

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I've had a lot of success with the HP90. I've tuned a couple running 7's (mine included), several running low 8's, and countless more that are generally running 8's, 9's or 10's. There was even one car on a factory 2.4L blower with nitrous that was consistently running 8.50's then later 8.30-8.40 on a completely stock HP90.

Would my car be faster with something like a TH400? Probably, there's a lot going for it with decades of R&D built up for it and it puts forth some key advantages including mature race converter options, less opportunity loss from shifting a million times going down the track, a trans brake for better consistency and reaction times, just a few big ones off the top of my head.

I get called out by a lot of high 7 second mustangs around where I am, I nearly always loose to them all just cause of the reaction time difference between how their cars are setup versus my with the HP90.
I think another would be the gear ratio options that can be custom set for the individual car. The 1st and 2nd ratios can be matched for the power and weight. Remember when we were comparing ratios and found that when you were leaving in 2nd with the 3.09 rear, your leave ratio was almost identical to my 1st gear with the 3.40 rear. Since then.... I'm removing close to 800 lbs from the car and will be making a little more power. The new and improved 400 I have now has taller 1st and second gears in it now. I will be getting out much further in 1st with this setup than before.