Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Built HP90 Limits?

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
How far can a built HP90 go before it grenades? Plan on making 1500-1700 hp with Turbos after I get bored with the Whipple. Seems like with the converter its about $10k to upgrade. Was looking at a 4l80 or TH400 for that price. Anyone?

Last edited:

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
For 1500 to 1700 hp personally I would go with a Rossler TH400.

Linda :)

OP
GNBRETT

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
I have considered Rossler for sure but I guess im also wondering who has done the 4l80 over the TH400. Its just an OD gear essentially with auto. What controller is being used? Is it the TCI controller?

For 1500 to 1700 hp personally I would go with a Rossler TH400.

Linda :)

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
@hellno and I have been partnering on a car that just went 8.57 on a full weight hellcat no nos on one of @hellno 's transmissions. Car makes 1200 or 1300 hp without spray. He is going to spray it as well at some point to try and get into the 7s.
@zhc is running 7s on a built 8 speed.

Remember a built trans at that power level wont last you a life time. You are going to be at a power level that requires things to be refreshed.

Most importantly HAVE A GOOD TRANS TUNE.

OP
GNBRETT

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Sounds great thanx. Id rather upgrade the HP90. So who is the trans builder? I plan on getting a ZH trans tune. I know they dont last forever. I replace my clutches in my Turbo Mustang every two years smh.

@hellno and I have been partnering on a car that just went 8.57 on a full weight hellcat no nos on one of @hellno 's transmissions. Car makes 1200 or 1300 hp without spray. He is going to spray it as well at some point to try and get into the 7s.

Remember a built trans at that power level wont last you a life time. You are going to be at a power level that requires things to be refreshed.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Sounds great thanx. Id rather upgrade the HP90. So who is the trans builder? I plan on getting a ZH trans tune. I know they dont last forever. I replace my clutches in my Turbo Mustang every two years smh.
I'll let @hellno (dave) chime in. He's the only trans builder on this site. His customer service is great!

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I'll let @hellno (dave) chime in. He's the only trans builder on this site. His customer service is great!
I can build your unit or if you need to faster I have a built 8HPXTREME ready to go

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat

That is correct about the refresh, have to think about the cost of the In and out, shipping cost's and down time.

I always have said TH400 FTW!

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I can build your unit or if you need to faster I have a built 8HPXTREME ready to go
That is correct about the refresh, have to think about the cost of the In and out, shipping cost's and down time.

I always have said TH400 FTW!
Refresh at that level is required for an 400 and a 4l80e as well
Personally at that level I would contact James Golden he has a redeye turbo that goes in the sevens I want to say I believe he’s on the 4l80e

turbos generally need a very high stall and a transbrake to get them out of the hole , I know jon sipple is testing transbrakes for the hp90 and I hope it goes well but I’m curious to see how the input shafts hold up , I personally have no problem building you a hp90 but in all honesty if you go turbo I’d go 4l80e and take advantage of the locking converter over the 400

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
I went with Pure, no regrets so far but then again Ive not had a chance to run the car cause Im chasing issues non trans related. In regards to the high HP numbers a TH400 is where I would go.

Pro-charged scat pack I race with just ditched his HP90 as it wouldn’t hold. Rossler is building trans and Neal is building his two piece convertor.

@hellno has a car that speaks for itself, he’s smacking 8s all the time on his transmissions so cant go wrong there.

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
The 90 in HP90 means it can take around 900 Nm of torque. Translates to about 664 ft. lbs.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
The 90 in HP90 means it can take around 900 Nm of torque. Translates to about 664 ft. lbs.
I agree my car only has 664 ft lbs of torque 😁

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
I am friends with James at Redeye Racing and I know AJ was installing Rosslers and I asked Gary and he said Rossler.

My Husband ( Top Cat ) chose a Rossler TH200 which was going into a Twin Turbo race car he was having built!
John and I both spoke to Carl Rossler directly and he is a very knowledgeable, experienced, humble man.

@fumanchu182 Yes, another Part my husband thought was the best for TT's and had bought a Neil Chance Convertor Bolt together!

Depending on what ET's, how fast some people are shooting for and the money they want to spend certainly help decide with Choices ;)

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
A properly built HP90 will hold some serious power as others have stated. We run a SHR built HP90 in our street Hellcat with no issues. Proper TCM tuning is critical. Our car goes 1.24 in the 60' and has a best ET of 8.7@155. This is with an unmodified 2.4 blower, stock TB and bit of N2O. If you are running a Whipple 3.0 or 4.5 and pushing it you will most likely be making more power than us so this may/may not be a good reference.

For TH400's we sell/install Coan units and Coan converters (solid and 2 piece). We also have complete Hellcat swap kits along with PCM/BCM/RFhub reprogramming for the swap in both M6 and auto vehicles.
https://shop.ostdyno.com/shop/shop/mopar/transmission/ati-gen-iii-hemi-th400-swap-kit-copy/

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
I agree my car only has 664 ft lbs of torque 😁
Sorry, don’t get your point.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Sorry, don’t get your point.
I’m just jiving with you , we have cars making upwards 1100 plus torque on the the hp90 , yes your numbers were correct, I apologize if I offended you in any way , my old ways of being sarcastic tend to pop up now and then

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
I’m just jiving with you , we have cars making upwards 1100 plus torque on the the hp90 , yes your numbers were correct, I apologize if I offended you in any way , my old ways of being sarcastic tend to pop up now and then
That’s cool. I come from the same school of elbow jabs ;). Just thinking I missed something (as usual).

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
As one of the few who actually have converted to a T400 and have experience both on the track and also on the street with it….. Other than sacrificing the open road overdrive, it is a delight to drive and will just flat kick ass on the 8 speed when it comes to 1/4 mile performance in a 1000+hp Hellcat. I will say though that converting a auto to a manual (T400) is a major pain in the ass. If you already have a manual trans Hellcat then it’s a straight across swap and easy. Converting the auto pcm/bcm/electronics is a added expense and requires some skilled electrical work and tuning. How much more power it will take depends on how much money you spend. The high dollar versions will take a lot more than any hp90 if you can justify the price.

OP
GNBRETT

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
Thanx guys great info. Maybe ill just try a well built 90 and if it doesnt hold ill try the 4l80e. Its only money I guess I can always make more ha.

Im working on my Trackhawk build first then onto the Redeye. Probably gonna need to build that 95 as well. Right now I got the Whipple 3.0 going on the Redeye and a Mag 2650 on the Hawk.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thanx guys great info. Maybe ill just try a well built 90 and if it doesnt hold ill try the 4l80e. Its only money I guess I can always make more ha.

Im working on my Trackhawk build first then onto the Redeye. Probably gonna need to build that 95 as well. Right now I got the Whipple 3.0 going on the Redeye and a Mag 2650 on the Hawk.
good luck but do yourself a favor when you go to the turbo build contact James Golden, he went through all the heart aches of getting that car too perform and I promise you that talking to someone with actual on hand experience, none of us who has replied has actually ran turbos on our hellcat