Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Recommened Hellcat Axle Upgrade?

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
DSS has just released their new axles that look to be very promising. But the Demon/redeye axles are more than enough. Speedy you have to be the luckiest guy around with those stock axles still holding up. mine went many 9 second passes before snapping the left side. 9.5 an under you will snap a stock hellcat axle. My Demon axles have handled a ton of abuse this year.

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Chad isn't have problems with his M6 and races all the time. He did go to DSS axles for one race and they "clunked" his words not mine so he went back to stock. That was 4 years ago. Maybe your buddy isn't loading the drive line at launch or something? I always brought my clutch up to the grab point before letting her rip back when I raced an M6.

I guess my point is that if those stock axles are working in Chad's M6 running 9s (a lot) then they should be good to go in an A8. With all the issues I hear about on upgraded axles, if I did anything at all it would be going to Redeye versions.
Comes down to wheel hop. If you never have any they will hold. Jon broke his on soft wheel hop

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
Quick question...

I saw in the Direct Connection catalog (I know...I know...) that you can buy the Redeye driveline which includes the 3.09 diff, 1/2-shafts and driveshaft. My question regarding the 1/2-shafts (which are 41-spline) is whether or not they direct fit the standard Hellcat 2.62 diff; I was fairly certain that the difference between the two was the Redeye's have a larger diameter shaft (phrasing!) but the spline count was the same...?
1667586196228.png

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
^ They are a direct swap. I put them in my ‘15 M6. Same part number as the Demons I do believe.

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
^ They are a direct swap. I put them in my ‘15 M6. Same part number as the Demons I do believe.
Copy that, thanks Sir! (y)

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
PS. Be prepared for a ball aching bad time getting the knuckles back on! Maybe consider working from the inside out, leaving the outboard knuckle assembly intact. Do a search before deciding.

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
PS. Be prepared for a ball aching bad time getting the knuckles back on! Maybe consider working from the inside out, leaving the outboard knuckle assembly intact. Do a search before deciding.
Copy that! It's a ways down the list of things to do but since it's on my radar I wanted to get a handle on it...

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #48
What’s a front diff brace? Is it an extra piece for the diff? (The only diff on the car.)

My buddy has an E85 M6 ‘Cat and he broke an axle the first time he had traction. Fewer than 10 hits on the car. Breaking axles isn’t as common on the A8 cars because there isn’t as much shock, I don’t think. Especially when you consider how many stock axles are running 9s or 8s vs total M6 cars in the 9s. M6 cars with traction and a clutch should consider bringing a spare to the track.
It hooks across the front of the diff.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
@jonx96 figured out a way to do it after fighting his

drive_55_not

U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lincolnton
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Hellrasin Challenger HellCat
Quick question...

I saw in the Direct Connection catalog (I know...I know...) that you can buy the Redeye driveline which includes the 3.09 diff, 1/2-shafts and driveshaft. My question regarding the 1/2-shafts (which are 41-spline) is whether or not they direct fit the standard Hellcat 2.62 diff; I was fairly certain that the difference between the two was the Redeye's have a larger diameter shaft (phrasing!) but the spline count was the same...?

The 41 spline count referenced is the internal drive of the CV, not the external drive splines

I 've been cutting mid 1.4 60's so I figure it's time to upgrade myself , I found a set of Redeye axles for $850, Now to figure out how install these things ...

Changing the half shafts on my Mustang wasn't terribly difficult, Hopefully these wont be too bad either.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
That shifty little bushing in the knuckle was a bitch! Surprisingly, the standard hellcat half shafts felt a lot heavier weight wise.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Depends on how you do it. Taking the knuckle off is a pain and you have to with the gforce outlaw axles because there is no give in them. With the Hellcat axles you can drop the diff and get them out. I have had mine out a couple of time with the gforce renegade axles dropping the diff. I have never pulled the knuckle off on my car

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I can't remember what the diff bolts look like on the Hellcat, but in my old car there were two horizontal bolts that went in from the back on each side. The trunk pan would block them from coming out. That a thing on the Hellcat or did they move stuff around? It was because of those two bolts I swapped my axles on the old car by removing the knuckle. On that 2009 R/T there was a sleeve type retainer on the knuckle that made it impossible to re-assemble. Once I realized what it was, I use a bolt and nut to drive the sleeve back in to the knuckle, then assembly was easy peasy. When you re-tighten the knuckle to the rear arm it pushed the sleeve back in place.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
DSS has just released their new axles that look to be very promising. But the Demon/redeye axles are more than enough. Speedy you have to be the luckiest guy around with those stock axles still holding up. mine went many 9 second passes before snapping the left side. 9.5 an under you will snap a stock hellcat axle. My Demon axles have handled a ton of abuse this year.
I'll find out this fall I guess. New setup will be a 9.50 car pretty easy I expect. Ran 9.70s on the 2.4L blower and it's got a 2.7 with some goodies now. If mine break I'll be sourcing some Redeye axles.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I'll find out this fall I guess. New setup will be a 9.50 car pretty easy I expect. Ran 9.70s on the 2.4L blower and it's got a 2.7 with some goodies now. If mine break I'll be sourcing some Redeye axles.
The redeye axles seem to work pretty good. Jon's car made lots of low 9 second passes with them before he owned it. He had the Gforce axle already so why not put them in. For the money most people will not out grow the redeye axles. I picked up some used gforce renegades for $1000

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I can't remember what the diff bolts look like on the Hellcat, but in my old car there were two horizontal bolts that went in from the back on each side. The trunk pan would block them from coming out. That a thing on the Hellcat or did they move stuff around? It was because of those two bolts I swapped my axles on the old car by removing the knuckle. On that 2009 R/T there was a sleeve type retainer on the knuckle that made it impossible to re-assemble. Once I realized what it was, I use a bolt and nut to drive the sleeve back in to the knuckle, then assembly was easy peasy. When you re-tighten the knuckle to the rear arm it pushed the sleeve back in place.
Disconnect the driveshaft and 2 front diff bolts and use a ratchetting wrench for the rear 2 and the diff will move forward to get it out, not a big deal

Jon and I swapped out my 3.09s back in the spring it took a couple of hours. Only other downside is dropping exhaust so you really need 2 people to do it that way to make it easier.. The correct way to do it is to pull them out the side but it can be done either way. Once you have the right bolt size to get the knuckle back on it will go pretty smooth. @16GoManGoHC2 posted some picks of how to get the knuckle back on

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Chad isn't have problems with his M6 and races all the time. He did go to DSS axles for one race and they "clunked" his words not mine so he went back to stock. That was 4 years ago. Maybe your buddy isn't loading the drive line at launch or something? I always brought my clutch up to the grab point before letting her rip back when I raced an M6.

I guess my point is that if those stock axles are working in Chad's M6 running 9s (a lot) then they should be good to go in an A8. With all the issues I hear about on upgraded axles, if I did anything at all it would be going to Redeye versions.
You are correct, stock should hold for 9.5 above if the precautions are taken. Per4mance develooement Diff brace !
And I wouldnt spend a dime on anything from Paramount...... Bill is a theif and is always selling the snake oil.
Deal with those that are more reputable and tell you the truth from the track!

TH400 FTW!

Linda :)