Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Radford 2 day performance driving

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Yep. The old computer knew it, tripped the change oil warning after about 800 miles. Mine is not going to a track again with the equipment configured the same ever again. I have had it.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I have a sample that is going to Blackstone later this week.:sneaky: I want to see what this engine looks like while it has been so hot.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
Wow, I thought I was beating on my Bondurant Hellcat pretty good when I got it over 270, but it was in November so only about 75-85 degrees ambient temps lol. Bummer how the Redeye tune apparently starts shutting you down in that range

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Wow, I thought I was beating on my Bondurant Hellcat pretty good when I got it over 270, but it was in November so only about 75-85 degrees ambient temps lol. Bummer how the Redeye tune apparently starts shutting you down in that range
It was so miserable, it won’t happen again.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #45

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
You slipping buddy? :LOL: I signed up for October.

Missed it I guess...

Maybe too much Woodford...

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
It was 95-98 degrees, 73 degree dew point at BIR last Monday. That Redeye was worthless. It would hit 290+ then I would coast for 2-3 laps and it maybe would let me do another one lap but not two before heading for 290 again. You want to feel hiccups, hear no supercharger whine, and never pass anyone? That was my day. So tell me how that goes in Arizona IF they have the HO engine. My Hellcat NEVER acted this way.
Wow I'm surprised to see this, these cars are not supposed to act that way as far as I know. I mean I don't know what is truly realistic to expect, but a hallmark of these cars is supposed to be that they do not overheat and limp like so many others do under these conditions...

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Wow I'm surprised to see this, these cars are not supposed to act that way as far as I know. I mean I don't know what is truly realistic to expect, but a hallmark of these cars is supposed to be that they do not overheat and limp like so many others do under these conditions...
Really disappointing. You are right and both of us know it. It ran right ONCE! The first session it was run at BIR, years ago, it was in the mid-50’s! It still did NOT beat the ‘15 lap times or all the acceleration splits. I had an additional rant to follow here, but I deleted it. You can guess what I am thinking you know me and some of my options now.

recurveman

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smithton
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Hellcat WB
It was 95-98 degrees, 73 degree dew point at BIR last Monday. That Redeye was worthless. It would hit 290+ then I would coast for 2-3 laps and it maybe would let me do another one lap but not two before heading for 290 again. You want to feel hiccups, hear no supercharger whine, and never pass anyone? That was my day. So tell me how that goes in Arizona IF they have the HO engine. My Hellcat NEVER acted this way.
It was so miserable, it won’t happen again.
Really disappointing. You are right and both of us know it. It ran right ONCE! The first session it was run at BIR, years ago, it was in the mid-50’s! It still did NOT beat the ‘15 lap times or all the acceleration splits. I had an additional rant to follow here, but I deleted it. You can guess what I am thinking you know me and some of my options now.
i will pose your problem to the techs at Radford on Friday to see if they have any input. After all they deal with those conditions constantly. They don’t tun redeyes but we’ll see.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
They do run a fleet of redeyes, all the blue cars, but only on the black key. That said we did put one into limp mode when I was there, seemed kind of flukey as I was in the passenger seat for the hot laps and the guy driving told me to put it into track mode which I think confused the car with the black key, I don't think the chiller turned on and it overheated shortly thereafter. Don't know why it did. Back in regular mode and it was fine for the rest of the laps.

All the orange cars are standard Hellcats with manual transmissions.

I think one big difference for @DGatzby is the high humidity, dew points don't get that high here in the southwest, even during the monsoon season. @DGatzby I assume you were in track mode and everything including the chiller was working as it should?

recurveman

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smithton
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
They do run a fleet of redeyes, all the blue cars, but only on the black key. That said we did put one into limp mode when I was there, seemed kind of flukey as I was in the passenger seat for the hot laps and the guy driving told me to put it into track mode which I think confused the car with the black key, I don't think the chiller turned on and it overheated shortly thereafter. Don't know why it did. Back in regular mode and it was fine for the rest of the laps.

I think one big difference for @DGatzby is the high humidity, dew points don't get that high here in the southwest, even during the monsoon season. @DGatzby I assume you were in track mode and everything including the chiller was working as it should?
Thanks for the clarification. I thought all their cars were regular hellcats. Think I read that somewhere. Oh well, it was 110 here yesterday and forcast for 108 today. Same for track day tomorrow. Whoopie!

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle

Track Mode. A couple of us believe it may be Track Mode that makes it worse. Since it aggressively downshifts, that engine braking adds to the work it needs to do to accelerate, plus I don’t give it a second of rest, knowing power is one of my only friends on the course against the competition= HOT!

Yes, Eric the high dew points in the 70’s don’t help with the things it is trying to do with the little power it was allowing, which added to the work necessary, which adds to the heat, and so on…

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Oh, was the chiller working? Ha! One of my last concerns when looking over at those temp gauges when one is 293, the other is approaching 240! What was the I/C temp? I am never impressed with what mine does on a simple interstate run. It gets maybe -10 from the ambient temps and never gets any colder. Again, disappointed.

BUT! Can we say Chevrolet on here? I may just become one of those “old guys” soon.

recurveman

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smithton
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Oh, was the chiller working? Ha! One of my last concerns when looking over at those temp gauges when one is 293, the other is approaching 240! What was the I/C temp? I am never impressed with what mine does on a simple interstate run. It gets maybe -10 from the ambient temps and never gets any colder. Again, disappointed.

BUT! Can we say Chevrolet on here? I may just become one of those “old guys” soon.
Driving redeyes on track today. Red keys. Max oil tremp in my car 226. Max.coolant 215. Ambient air temp 107.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Driving redeyes on track today. Red keys. Max oil tremp in my car 226. Max.coolant 215. Ambient air temp 107.
Wow, mine is that warm with aggressive street driving. But thanks for the info. Something is not right.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Wow, mine is that warm with aggressive street driving. But thanks for the info. Something is not right.
Get the intercooler fluid checked for level, bubbles and pump speed. That was 1 of the checkpoints that was looked at on mine.

recurveman

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smithton
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Get the intercooler fluid checked for level, bubbles and pump speed. That was 1 of the checkpoints that was looked at on mine.
we pretty much pounded the redeyes on the autocross and the track today. Not any problem with any of the eleven cars used. All red keys.
At the end of the day we rode hot laps with their pro drivers. All 717 hp cars and all six speeds. I thought I didn’t do too bad on the track but these guys are astounding. I rode with BJ and all I can say is WOW. I have no idea how that car stayed on the track.
They prefer the sticks but he told me the auto redeyes are just as awesome. Said these cars will run all day, day after day, and not miss a beat.
He said the myth that the widebodies
are bricks on the track is really over a crock.
Absolutely fantastic day with great people.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #58
Cool, guess I have something to look forward to.

recurveman

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smithton
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Cool, guess I have something to look forward to.
It was a blast. The pro drivers during the hot lap ride along will terrorize you! You won’t believe those cars stay on the track.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
It was a blast. The pro drivers during the hot lap ride along will terrorize you! You won’t believe those cars stay on the track.
yep! I had bruised ribs for months after my class from getting slammed so hard into the left rear door during my familiarization lap on the autocross course in the backseat of the Charger with an instructor driving - it was awesome! Most owners have no idea what these cars can do or feel like when driven by a professional.