Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Offseason Build - What are your thoughts?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
You know what my answer is concerning “the rear end”. If starting from scratch, the DragPak 4-link is no more expensive than the full DSS 9” when the cost of the arms, springs, brake conversion and everything is added up. The one caveat being a fab shop that can do it right and charge a fair price to do it. 46BA04CD-DF38-4286-84F5-E8466992F529.jpeg

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Concerns with the rear gearset playing nicely with the A8? Should he be looking for a transmission too? I don't remember which rearends didn't offer gearing appropriate for the A8... that could be old news.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Concerns with the rear gearset playing nicely with the A8? Should he be looking for a transmission too? I don't remember which rearends didn't offer gearing appropriate for the A8... that could be old news.
The new steel E drum is the game changer in the A 8

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #44
We have @hellno D&B Automotive's HP90Extreme transmission in the cat and it's amazing and ran a 8.79 @ 153 mph with just bolt-ons and spray. So no need to change what is working. To include have ran almost 200 passes with nitrous and over 40, 8 second passes and that transmission will hold up and take a beating!

BTW - Dave knows this...we will push D&B transmission to the brink and we think his setup will get us low 8's and maybe shock the world 7's.
You guys better hit Dave up for his HP90Extreme. Most affordable way to go fast and reliable for transmissions!

As far as rear ends: will start out with the 3.09 and test and then throw the 2.62 and test some more. But I am worried our stock rear ends will not handle this next power level.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
We have @hellno D&B Automotive's HP90Extreme transmission in the cat and it's amazing and ran a 8.79 @ 153 mph with just bolt-ons and spray. So no need to change what is working. To include have ran almost 200 passes with nitrous and over 40, 8 second passes and that transmission will hold up and take a beating!

BTW - Dave knows this...we will push D&B transmission to the brink and we think his setup will get us low 8's and maybe shock the world 7's.
You guys better hit Dave up for his HP90Extreme. Most affordable way to go fast and reliable for transmissions!

As far as rear ends: will start out with the 3.09 and test and then throw the 2.62 and test some more. But I am worried our stock rear ends will not handle this next power level.
The 9” rears whether it’s the DSS, G-Force or the DragPak all use the Strange Engineering third members. The 35 spline Pro Gear with a spool is going to be virtually unbreakable. Here’s the thing to consider when using that with the hp90.... A second gear launch with a 3.40 rear gear is going to give you very close to the same leave ratio as I’m seeing with my T400. For high powered cars, the too low first gear is the problem. That’s why some are seeing good results with leaving in second with the 3.09. It takes a ton of power and a proper trans tune to really make it work. I think the 3.40 ratio would be better than the 3.09 for most.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
The 9” rears whether it’s the DSS, G-Force or the DragPak all use the Strange Engineering third members. The 35 spline Pro Gear with a spool is going to be virtually unbreakable. Here’s the thing to consider when using that with the hp90.... A second gear launch with a 3.40 rear gear is going to give you very close to the same leave ratio as I’m seeing with my T400. For high powered cars, the too low first gear is the problem. That’s why some are seeing good results with leaving in second with the 3.09. It takes a ton of power and a proper trans tune to really make it work. I think the 3.40 ratio would be better than the 3.09 for most.
I will be testing both the 3.09 and a 3.70 gear I hope my calculations work but I didn’t finish high school so it’s a mathematical possibility that I could be wrong 🤣

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
@Dman007 I’d be surprised if colbys car doesn’t go fast but just in case it doesn’t I’ve got a good tow strap he can come along for the ride 😁😈

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
UPDATE: The cat "might" be coming out of the shop next week <cross our fingers!> Then tons of testing and tuning. We are trying to get ready for Texas 2K21 in mid March.

Engine should go into the car today and than start on the triple pump system. Don't know if we are going to leave the BAP (boost-a-pump) in the car. Might need to sell the BAP.
FI Chiller has not arrived yet, so hope it comes in today
2.4 Blower should come back from Jokerz on Monday
Go to the alignment shop on Thursday
At the Track T&T on Friday night

Question for the group....what are your suggestions on the rear end? Keep with the 3.09 or go with direct bolt on 9" or complete changeout of the IRS?

Reasoning, I am worried about tearing up rear ends every other weekend because we race almost every week.

Regards,
Colby
This appears to be a good answer to the stock diff. It's expensive though.
https://www.hemitunerperformance.com/p-3980-hemituner-performance-billet-differential-2015-2020.aspx

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #50
Marc as usual brother...really good information to share with the community! I will keep you posted on our testing and will test the 3.40 as well.

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #51
Does Chrysler make a 3.40 diff? @Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Does Chrysler make a 3.40 diff? @Marc W
No. 2.62, 3.09, 3.70 for OEM. I’ve been running the 9” gears for some time now. First the DSS conversion and now the MPR DragPak. They both use the Strange Engineering third member. I saw that Moser has a nice live axle setup for the Challenger now also. What is called the Pro Gear is available in the 9” and 9.5” sets. Many different ratios including 3.40 available in the 9” and 3.25 is available in the 9.5 thru Strange. I have heard that special ordered 2.75, 3.00 and 3.25 ratios in the 9” can be sourced thru Carlyle. You would have to call them to verify that or maybe someone here knows for sure. The Pro Gear is a 35 spline ring and pinion that is for drag racing. It is “not recommended” for street use because it will wear faster. I run mine on the street and after 500 miles, pulled them just to check on that and couldn’t tell they were worn at all. That was around town driving. I wouldn’t run them on the highway for extended time. That could be a limiting factor to consider depending on what kind of use you expect. As far as the LSD goes..... it’s gone. I use a spool. No spinning one wheel for serious drag racing. The posi is one of the weaknesses of the stock Diff. That and the case. The spool I’m running now is mated to gun drilled 40 spline axles that are a fraction of the weight of the 33/35 spline DSS units and are unbreakable. 1EAE3A30-43AC-42B8-A237-1DA7C645BDA8.jpeg F56F6FB1-D921-4E48-8F6D-555968B273B5.jpeg B0A2BF23-D73B-4AC3-8711-DC844B40F151.jpeg