Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

O-Rings matter especially for E85

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #21
I'm not E85 or ever will be, but that's what I've heard that E85 is hard on all rubber items it comes in contact with, so those items through the whole fuel system should be watched closely.
I'm not aware of anything in the fuel system that's rubber on these cars. It appears to be either a PVC "like" material or stainless steel. E85 rocks. I'm close to 18 mos on E85 at this point as far as the rest of the fuel system is concerned.

Are people seeing the same problem with injectors using the original o ring on the injector? I would hope if they claim it is an e85 injector the o-ring would last longer than a year or two.
I never saw a problem with the original o-rings on my ID1000s and had them on the car with plenty of E85 for about a year. The point of my post was if you change o-rings I'd make sure to get the right material, like call ID or FIC and ask for replacements directly from them. The Fel-Pro o-rings failed in about 90 days so if you're gonna have a problem I'd expect it to happen pretty quick.

That and pay attention to your car. Anything that doesn't seem right usually isn't. I was getting pretty good whiffs of ethanol at startup and knew something wasn't right.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I'm not aware of anything in the fuel system that's rubber on these cars. It appears to be either a PVC "like" material or stainless steel. E85 rocks.

Is there not rubber fuel lines at the s/c & at the gas tank ?

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #23
Doesn't appear to be. They are hard lines. Not metal but not rubber. At least from what I can see. There is a rubber outer sheath on them but the lines are something different. I called it PVC but I'm sure it's not. Hard plastic like stuff. @16GoManGoHC2 may know what it is, he's been all through the fuel system on these cars.

There are a lot of people on here that have run E85 for many years, so if something was going to deteriorate I think we'd have heard about something needing occasional maintenance. Not saying 10 years out there might be something, but at least thus far seems good to go.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I am not a hater on ethanol. I get the use of ethanol and if I keep the car I will likely go with a flex fuel tune. Even though we don't have pump E85 here. At least it is a little cheaper than race gas.
There are lots of articles on the pros and cons of ethanol fuels.
Catdodgehell from the other forum had posted quite a bit of info there. I just did a quick look and this is interesting but from Injector Dynamics. Screenshot_20210527_111728_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg Screenshot_20210527_111736_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #25
Lol didn't intend for this to become an ethanol debate. Just be sure to use the right parts.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Lol didn't intend for this to become an ethanol debate. Just be sure to use the right parts.
LOL. Sorry about that.
At least it isn't a f'ing political thread.
Info is good though.
I am sure that some are not aware if issues with Ethanol especially when it is exposed to atmosphere/ moisture.
Most look only at the gains.
One of the articles I was looking for mentions thst E85 stored in a plastic gas can may be bad in as little as 30 days.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #27
It's all good man. More info is better than less I reckon.

For the record, I was dead against E85 for a loooong time. Curt and I even had debates about it over on the other forum. Then I saw the light as it were once I realized these newer cars can handle it. I love being able to roll up to the gas pump and put in E85 for $2/gal and have my tune match what I run on RM109 ($15/gal) at the track.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
It's all good man. More info is better than less I reckon.

For the record, I was dead against E85 for a loooong time. Curt and I even had debates about it over on the other forum. Then I saw the light as it were once I realized these newer cars can handle it. I love being able to roll up to the gas pump and put in E85 for $2/gal and have my tune match what I run on RM109 ($15/gal) at the track.
Here I am lucky to get 15gal pail of E85 for $230. None at pumps except possibly one about an hour away at a tuner shop.
Still it's better than $200 for 5gal of ms109.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #29
That's crazy.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Doesn't appear to be. They are hard lines. Not metal but not rubber. At least from what I can see. There is a rubber outer sheath on them but the lines are something different. I called it PVC but I'm sure it's not. Hard plastic like stuff. @16GoManGoHC2 may know what it is, he's been all through the fuel system on these cars.

There are a lot of people on here that have run E85 for many years, so if something was going to deteriorate I think we'd have heard about something needing occasional maintenance. Not saying 10 years out there might be something, but at least thus far seems good to go.
Silicon is so-so, Kalrez last forever, Buna doesn’t take the heat for long and gets hard and leaks
6AE8FC39-83FB-4463-B11D-413BD41BDCA0.jpeg

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #31
Did you find any rubber lines in the fuel system in your fuel system experiments?

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Did you find any rubber lines in the fuel system in your fuel system experiments?
There are flexible lines but none are rubber, their that hard flexible black plastic stuff with quick couplings ends each end that couple to a stainless fuel line that runs from just under the fuel tank to about 12” from the fuel rail connector. I added the Tapped Performance E85 Fore Systems Microglass element 88mm filter unit which adds about 2ft of that special braided hose that fuel does not permeate through.

5CD57962-2491-4DB2-923E-22357A949D13.jpeg 080F8134-CA4E-447B-9068-7111C3C6E7F4.jpeg 03FA6FAC-FBCD-4E27-8211-57B4F9E09E60.jpeg FB80981A-8BDA-42DD-AED0-138D1C9C35D2.jpeg

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #33
Nice clean install. How'd you get to the top self tapper on the mounting bracket for the filter?

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Nice clean install. How'd you get to the top self tapper on the mounting bracket for the filter?
I didn’t use the included self tapping rust makers LOL. I used 6mm SS blind rivets and put RTV on them before setting them then painted over them. I used a dremel with a right angle head and a end cutting burr to make the holes in the body. Then fastened the mount with 2 6mm SS hex head cap screws into the threaded blind rivets. I don’t like sloppy LOL. Here you can see one, there’s no seeing the other once the heat shield was put back on. image.jpg

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #35
You're the man. Can work on my junk anytime.