Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

My New Hellcat Charger Pick Up Finally Came In!!

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I didn't realize that it was a war. I was entertaining myself.
You have no idea 🤣😂😅😂🤣.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Damn, these kind of pictures make me enjoy getting a torred car. DAMN THAT IS SEXY.
TorRed.
The BEST color!
0905211119.jpg

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
At least you guys have real diesels. Wife is partial to the Silverado w/Duramax for pulling horse trailer, nice truck but I would take the Cummins over Duramax.
The Cummins, while having the best engine by far, has shit transmissions.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Always thought Duramax with Allison was the best combo?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Luxury is useful in traffic, and when the roads are real shitty like they are up here on I-95.

I think you can eliminate the limiter but 120+ in a truck is sketchy, I would wager you need to lower it and fit it with more appropriate tires, at which point its no longer a truck but rather a hotrod......
Funny that you mention luxury being useful, and on bad roads.

Yesterday I helped my girlfriend add another slow 20 miles on her new car, to break the gears in. In normal fashion, we do that on our "home" road, which has very little traffic (especially before tourist season kicks in), but the pavement is crappy.

Since this car is supposed to handle quite well (RS6 Avant) I was curious about how it would feel. Well, it felt weird, to put it mildly. On a straight section I noticed a light on the dash...friggin' lane keep assist.

Sure enough, that damn nanny didn't like me trying to avoid pot holes and other road imperfections. Not that it made noises, but the light kept changing colors and it tried to steer the car for me.

Obviously she had also noticed this idiotic "luxury feature", but hadn't found a way to disable it yet. Hopefully it can be eliminated or this car will likely go to a new home soon. That would be sucky after a 10-month wait for a car she otherwise really likes.

As for getting rid of the speed limiter on a TRX, that's easier said than done. Apparently the computer needs to be "hacked", so there goes the warranty. Another way is to play with gearing and tire sizes, using AlfaOBD, but then the speedometer and such gets completely out of whack.
Those who have done it claims they're just fine at 150, which is what I'd expect, too.

I'd love to lower mine an inch or two, but that's not easy either. What I did do was get better (much narrower) tires for it and install a rear anti-sway bar. Both helped quite a bit with lateral stability, and the "squirming" that results when flooring it at 80 mph or so when passing someone.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I'd like to hear what's wrong with the Aisin transmission.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Heard they aren't reliable. No personal experience though.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Funny that you mention luxury being useful, and on bad roads.

Yesterday I helped my girlfriend add another slow 20 miles on her new car, to break the gears in. In normal fashion, we do that on our "home" road, which has very little traffic (especially before tourist season kicks in), but the pavement is crappy.

Since this car is supposed to handle quite well (RS6 Avant) I was curious about how it would feel. Well, it felt weird, to put it mildly. On a straight section I noticed a light on the dash...friggin' lane keep assist.

Sure enough, that damn nanny didn't like me trying to avoid pot holes and other road imperfections. Not that it made noises, but the light kept changing colors and it tried to steer the car for me.

Obviously she had also noticed this idiotic "luxury feature", but hadn't found a way to disable it yet. Hopefully it can be eliminated or this car will likely go to a new home soon. That would be sucky after a 10-month wait for a car she otherwise really likes.

As for getting rid of the speed limiter on a TRX, that's easier said than done. Apparently the computer needs to be "hacked", so there goes the warranty. Another way is to play with gearing and tire sizes, using AlfaOBD, but then the speedometer and such gets completely out of whack.
Those who have done it claims they're just fine at 150, which is what I'd expect, too.

I'd love to lower mine an inch or two, but that's not easy either. What I did do was get better (much narrower) tires for it and install a rear anti-sway bar. Both helped quite a bit with lateral stability, and the "squirming" that results when flooring it at 80 mph or so when passing someone.
You can turn the nannies off in the rs/M/amg cars because people do track them.

If I remember this right for audi mmi (i had an s5 for a month before I sold it)

You need to go to the infotainment screen......then go to vehicle...... then go to driver assist...... there should be a bunch of nannies you can turn off that include evasive assist, rear park assist, auto emergency braking (this one is very useful though especially since many people are inattentive at times), lane keep assist, the rs6 might even have lane centering as well... many new cars do.

Worse come worse you can google the instructions to disable the nannies, but I wouldn't sell the rs6 avant, beautiful car that will hold value incredibly well, but I'm just not a wagon guy and nobody else in the family is either, they would rather get an suv lol.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Heard they aren't reliable. No personal experience though.
Apparently they're reliable enough to go some 450,000+ miles with just basic fluid changes.
And that's with CVW up to the 40,000 lb. range. I think that's good enough.

Although, some do complain about how they shift. Those "some" are the ones who use a diesel pickup with the Aisin as a car. Which are the same ones who tend to have issues with the emission system.

Meanwhile, the ones who use them for their intended purpose likes their Cummins/Aisin setups.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
You need to go to the infotainment screen......then go to vehicle...... then go to driver assist...... there should be a bunch of nannies you can turn off that include evasive assist, rear park assist, auto emergency braking (this one is very useful though especially since many people are inattentive at times), lane keep assist, the rs6 might even have lane centering as well... many new cars do.
Thanks, that's what I suspected. She'll likely be trying, digging deeper into the maze of electronics, later today.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
With stock power the Aisin will do fine. Add a tuner and it will break fast. The 68RFE in the 2500 is just plain a PS that no one can fix because of design.

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
You can turn the nannies off in the rs/M/amg cars because people do track them.

If I remember this right for audi mmi (i had an s5 for a month before I sold it)

Worse come worse you can google the instructions to disable the nannies, but I wouldn't sell the rs6 avant, beautiful car that will hold value incredibly well, but I'm just not a wagon guy and nobody else in the family is either, they would rather get an suv lol.
Some of us have this lane assist option. It's a button next to the traction control button on the center stack to turn it off/on. I don't recall what package you need to get it but I do have it on my Charger.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
With stock power the Aisin will do fine. Add a tuner and it will break fast. The 68RFE in the 2500 is just plain a PS that no one can fix because of design.
I must admit that I don't even have "stock power" in my 3500. It's a cab and chassis, so it's down rated even compared to a standard output engine.

Then again, the highest total weight it has had to deal with so far here in the Rockies was 39,000 lbs.

Last edited:
OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #77
So far so good with my 2500 but it only has 13K miles...

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Yep your right Mike. Automatics have had problems handling that Cummins torque since they first dropped it in the Dodge Square body in late 80s Probably why most folks doing real hauling went with stick trans. Less BS to deal with, in fact they held back on power with that engine for a long time and had it de tuned. Engineers new it would break shit from fly wheel to pavement, and it did. I will say I don’t hear to much about the Allison trany breaking.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #79
I will say that my trans slams into gear when downshifting while in tow mode. I was told that it's normal.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States