Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Let’s build a race car

Am I insane?

• Total voters
OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #81
@HellcatFan @BULL or any mods i think this should be moved to the builds section, apologies for posting in here

HellcatFan

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Spanking of insurance. Youz dudes and ette know ware I cood call and ass fer quotes on liability assurance. 2022 I had a few mishaps dat were fixed. My cumpany is can cel ling me as of Otcembuur 30th I need 2 find anutter cumpany. A 25/50 policee. Nuttin crazy or asspensive. Thanks.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Spanking of insurance. Youz dudes and ette know ware I cood call and ass fer quotes on liability assurance. 2022 I had a few mishaps dat were fixed. My cumpany is can cel ling me as of Otcembuur 30th I need 2 find anutter cumpany. A 25/50 policee. Nuttin crazy or asspensive. Thanks.
Maybe the general? The one with the TV commercials?

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #85
All righty, spoke with the planning committee (me and my excel spreadsheet). Cage comes first before motor and electrical assemblies. The cage will determine what goes where afterwards with steering and electrical and panels...

I thought about RPM Rollbars but then thought back to what @zhc said about his retrospective on the subject. I'm speaking with a few shops in the area to get on the schedule. I will get it certed for 8.5.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Don’t forget to budget for a parachute!

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #87
Don’t forget to budget for a parachute!
Dont need that where im going, joking its planned for.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #88
EFI Selection and planning.

The path of least resistance:https://www.dcperformance.com/p-hellcrate-6-2l-sc-crate-hemi-non-e-o-engine-kit-77072452af

1696971844167.png

Comes with everything you need out of the box, PCM is unlocked and it doesn't care what transmission you mate it with. Can be programmed via HP Tuners. Would require you to wire some items to a relay board, which is not a bad idea in itself if you are planning your own switches and toggles. Works well out of the box and if you are going with a fore drop in in tank, this will support the LV kits from HHP.

Some love from Holley: https://www.holley.com/products/fue...inator_x_max_gen_iii_hemi_kits/parts/550-1425

1696972104856.png

If you were doing a 6.4 or 5.7 build and wanted to boost it, this would be it. Would have everything you need. Hidden magic, getting it to play nice with the Hellcat S/C bypass, maybe @Marc W can spill the magic beans on that, not even the Holley forums delve into it. For the money it's not a bad start if I had a 6.4 block or was going to turbo charge the 6.2

The journey begins here: https://documents.holley.com/efi_selection_chart62914.pdf As configured I wound up here:
www.holley.com_store_viewcart_.png

Some differences from the DragPak edition. There is no throttle body on the DragPak, so no dual throttle body cable is required. Comes with two widebands as well, as I have it configured I plan on only using one (and guess what, tuning with one is perfectly fine).

www.dcperformance.com_p-ecu-kit-p5160240aa.png

So I am torn between Hellcrate and wiring everything else up manually to a switch panel (would be a fun project and save a ton of money), or get a Dominator and take the hit on cost up front.

My only issue with Holley at this point is that the price for plastics and connectors is astronomical. Not to mention there is no eta on backordered ignition harnesses so I could be in limbo well into 2024...

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Fast. Probably 8.5 index, throw some nitrous and play with the heavyweights when I get tired of Andy from ECMP or @HighHorseman beating my ass. 😂

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
You will probably spend time waiting on stuff from Holley. I did and I imagine it’s worse now. I’m about to need another injector harness and I’m praying that isn’t back ordered 😬. The Hellcrate deal is basically the OE PCM without all the crap you have to work around with the stock Hellcat. No nannies to check in with the mother board to allow the car to run. That will work fine as long as you don’t see yourself wishing for any of the advanced stuff the Dominator provides. I believe it comes with the gas pedal and requires the use of the electronic throttle body and bypass. I don’t remember for sure. I never personally was involved with it. Independent switches are your friend. Want to turn a fan or a pump on. Turn it on. Btw…. You can still use those Holley Digital Display screens with the Hellcrate. You’re not going to have all the info to look that a Dominator has to offer but the basic screen layout is good.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
You got me to thinking about that Hellcrate PCM. I’m remembering that the blue car had that when I first connected with shop. They had just replaced a old 4.5 Whipple with a new DragPak 3.0. That Hellcrate would not accept the cable throttle body and manual bypas. It was looking for those electronics and wouldn’t run without them. Adam fabricated his own electronic throttle body and bypass and got down the track. He got some calls from well known VIP’s wanting to know how the hell he did that. It was before Nick Williams started developing his next level throttle bodies. Running one of those on a DragPak Whipple now is no problem. Anyway…. point is…. I don’t think you will have the option of a cable throttle with the Hellcrate. Not something you probably have a burning need to do I would imagine.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Also, not everyone can tune a Holley efi. Way different. Tuning for th400 is also way different. Hell crate harness will work with th400 and a neutral safety switch. Are you keeping glass in the car? I saw you three out door panels but keeping the BCM for the windows/doors works with the hellcrate - it only drives the PCM and is setup for a manual transmission (hence the neutral safety). If staying with a stock style diff, go with a 3.70 or 3.90, depending on how your transmission is geared. @zhc might have more details and have gearing suggestions for th400, as he runs the 3.09 successfully but in some setups it’s not enough. I have experience with the crate harness and a th400, so lmk if you have questions.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #93
No BCM @Unholy707 th400 manual shifts.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
No BCM @Unholy707 th400 manual shifts.
Right, you have to tune the car like it’s a manual. It gets tricky if you have a th400 in a car in an auto configuration. I would go with the hellcrate harness and pcm if you’re keeping it supercharged. Set it and forget it.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
If you’re going turbo eventually you’ll have to do a lot of dumb stuff to keep the hellcat pcm happy. But if staying supercharged, is the way to go in my opinion

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Interwebs
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
I know this gets in to the "do you wanna know" area but what about keeping a running tally for costs in the first post?

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I know this gets in to the "do you wanna know" area but what about keeping a running tally for costs in the first post?
He’s trying to go fast not be disgusted and have a heart attack lol

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #98
I have a running tally. However not willing to share at the moment. 😂 @Unholy707 I'm prepared this time…

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
IMG_2147.jpeg

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Just messing with you @fumanchu182 lol. You’re doing the right thing planning this out. Looking forward to the final result. Wish I had a race car, i’m not even sure if mine would start if I tried been sitting for a month collecting dust 😑