Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Information of Known Hellcat issues reported by Owners

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Here are the problems I have had with my 2017 ...

New - Dust spots under paint on matte black hood. Took about 6 months but they agreed to repaint under warranty.

1 year old - Car would not start. Diagnosed as a bad radio causing a dead short that drained the battery. Replaced Battery and Replaced Radio under warranty.

1 1/2 years old - Passenger side auto sense window (the window goes down a bit when you open the door) stopped working. Diagnosed as a bad switch. Currently there is a back log of 30 switches nationwide. Waiting for a delivery commitment. Guess I am not the only one with this problem.
What kind of dust spots appeared on the hood. Any pics?

KonaLaury

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kailua Kona
State
HI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
As you know the hood is painted in the original car color and then is painted matte black over the base color. In my case there were a few small pieces of dust on the hood when it was painted black and so you just see a small blemish (spec of dust) under the black paint. Sorry no pictures.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Ridiculously slow read time for TPMS on Charger HCs, and very long latency of TPMS error indicators (more an annoyance than anything else, but this is low hanging software fruit)

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
As you know the hood is painted in the original car color and then is painted matte black over the base color. In my case there were a few small pieces of dust on the hood when it was painted black and so you just see a small blemish (spec of dust) under the black paint. Sorry no pictures.
This gets me thinking as I have this odd paint blemish on the top of the driver side rear quarter panel, definitely under the paint but also raised. Looks like a catepillar died on the car prior to the paint job. When I had the PPF done, the shop asked me if the car was ever in an accident and resprayed but sounds like poor quality assurance from the factory. Does your blemish look anything like this, zoom in to see it, this is the only picture I currently have:
IMG_20191116_122528__01.jpg

Last edited:

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Ridiculously slow read time for TPMS on Charger HCs, and very long latency of TPMS error indicators (more an annoyance than anything else, but this is low hanging software fruit)
My 19 Challenger is similar.
Takes up to 15 minutes for TPMS to show accurate info.
Also takes about 5 to 10 minutes to show accurate outside air temp

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
My 19 Challenger is similar.
Takes up to 15 minutes for TPMS to show accurate info.
Also takes about 5 to 10 minutes to show accurate outside air temp
Same here. Two weeks ago, while on the highway, I drove over a nail (not on purpose). I managed to get home with 8psi left. I then jacked up the car and let it sit while I took the wheel/tire to a patch shop. When I reinstalled the wheel it took like 15 minutes for the TPMS to update and recognize the new pressure. I even pulled my air compressor and tire guage/air filler to double check everything...just the TPMS taking its time to update.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
When I got the new PS4s one of the tires showed low but went away within 5 minutes...nothing too long.

HarleyHetz

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
ARLINGTON
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Sublime Widebody Challenger Hellcat
This gets me thinking as I have this odd paint blemish on the top of the driver side rear quarter panel, definitely under the paint but also raised. Looks like a catepillar died on the car prior to the paint job. When I had the PPF done, the shop asked me if the car was ever in an accident and resprayed but sounds like poor quality assurance from the factory. Does your blemish look anything like this, zoom in to see it, this is the only picture I currently have:
View attachment 9962
That's a LONG caterpillar!!!

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
That's a LONG caterpillar!!!
Yeah, right. Is that what the poor paint job looks like, that other forum members are speaking about? No pics of any other bad paint jobs on the forum, only people talking about it.

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
Don’t forget the annoying rattling sound. Haha. I got to fix this in my charger. Happens on cold days hitting jarring bumps on the road. Comes from behind rear seats. But sometimes you think it’s the passenger area.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Rattling exhaust actuator valves.

Mine just started acting up, with 65k, on the clock.

Really bad, at cold start.

Always, at lower rpm (accelerating from a stop).

Any feedback, on this? I've read a few references, to this. No direct experiences, though.

Bob

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat

Any feedback, on this? I've read a few references, to this. No direct experiences, though.

Bob
I asked my tech about the actuators and he said MFERS as a solution...if out of warranty might just do that. Curious what others think...

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
I asked my tech about the actuators and he said MFERS as a solution...if out of warranty might just do that. Curious what others think...
Well... I'm running Vibrants, so they prolly won't warranty it. LOL.

MFERS looks like the way to go.

BTW, I think it's the valves, themselves... not the actuators. When I replaced my actuator springs, i noticed black buildup at the valve head slot, where the spring mounts. Like it has been oscillating, and now is worse.

MFERS will keep constant tension, on the valve, which I hope will mitigate the rattle.

Bob

NYCSRTATE

Member ID
Reactions
City
NYC
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Charger Hellcat

Bob

MFer1 will solve that, another reason I did that mod. I knew as the car got older they would rattle like crazy!

BTW I have Vibrants #1795 on my car also.

HarleyHetz

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
ARLINGTON
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Sublime Widebody Challenger Hellcat
I bought the MFers but have not installed them yet, I've got about 200 more miles before the first oil change, they will be going on then!!

Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn Hills
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger SXT
Don’t forget the annoying rattling sound. Haha. I got to fix this in my charger. Happens on cold days hitting jarring bumps on the road. Comes from behind rear seats. But sometimes you think it’s the passenger area.
Hi Matt, Feel free to let us know via private message if you plan to work with your dealer to resolve this. We are happy to provide you with additional assistance during that process.
Rob
DodgeCares

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hi Matt, Feel free to let us know via private message if you plan to work with your dealer to resolve this. We are happy to provide you with additional assistance during that process.
Rob
DodgeCares
Cool, I appreciate that. Hadn’t gotten a chance to get around to it. I think it may just need a little insulation or something. I think that cover piece over the rear behind rear seats might be vibrating a bit over jarring/rickety bumps on some clips/plugs or screws on the underside. Only happens in the cold though. The roads can be pretty bad around PA sometimes.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn Hills
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger SXT
Cool, I appreciate that. Hadn’t gotten a chance to get around to it. I think it may just need a little insulation or something. I think that cover piece over the rear behind rear seats might be vibrating a bit over jarring/rickety bumps on some clips/plugs or screws on the underside. Only happens in the cold though. The roads can be pretty bad around PA sometimes.
Thanks for providing more details Matt. I understand that the sound only occurs when the weather is colder and that it sounds like it is coming from the interior. I kindly recommend having the dealer inspect the sound to make sure it is coming from your interior and not underneath your Hellcat. I also recommend visiting the dealer on a colder day to make sure they are able to replicate your concern.
Rob
DodgeCares

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thanks for providing more details Matt. I understand that the sound only occurs when the weather is colder and that it sounds like it is coming from the interior. I kindly recommend having the dealer inspect the sound to make sure it is coming from your interior and not underneath your Hellcat. I also recommend visiting the dealer on a colder day to make sure they are able to replicate your concern.
Rob
DodgeCares
D5889406-36B1-481A-8D8F-226D5D0648DE.jpeg 4C605F50-D757-4F79-BE40-209E5F625F55.jpeg C6C4FCC6-E860-4215-A4F0-341911EDCDD3.jpeg Found it! Had my dad lay in the trunk when I went over bumps.. it’s the metal retainer screws. They are under a little plastic piece. Also I taped the emergency latch and the latch under the trunk.

Attachments

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions