Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dodge Charger and Challenger Set to Survive as EVs

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares committed to Ram electric pickups and Dodge muscle cars.
Jeep will lead the charge when it comes to electrification in North America, largely because of the success of the 4xe plug-in hybrid models introduced to date, Stellantis chief executive officer Carlos Tavares said. By 2025, every Jeep model will have a battery electric powertrain option. It is a good fit, Tavares said. Jeep is the brand of freedom, off-road adventure, and respect for nature, all of which is amplified in a vehicle that runs silently and has zero emissions.

Dodge Challenger And Charger Not Going Away
Dodge will introduce its first pure electric muscle car in 2024. Tavares said it is exciting to electrify Dodge and the brand will introduce its electrified muscle car very soon and that it will be "very transformational."
A teaser shows a classic coupe-like vehicle with a full-width, '60s style grille and triangular 1960s-era logo. It will use the new STLA Large electric vehicle platform that promises a range of 500 miles from a single charge. It will also offer all-wheel drive.

In the electric future, there will still be a Dodge Challenger and a Dodge Charger, Tavares confirmed. Whether the electric muscle car coming in 2024 is a remake of one of these vehicles, or a new beast altogether, is unclear.
Stellantis' EV Plans
Stellantis is stepping up its development of electric vehicles and spending more than €30 billion (approximately $36 billion) over the next five years to meet the goal of electrifying 98 percent of its new models by 2025. While some will still be plug-in hybrids, Tavares said the vast majority will be battery electrics.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
“meet the goal of electrifying 98 percent of its new models by 2025” 😳

Boricuoso787

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
2%er, FTW!

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
There's a lot of confusing information out there. Tavares was also quoted as saying EV sales are expected to be only at 40% by 2030 in North America (70% in Europe).

That's still a lot of time to be building and selling Hemi's or hybrid Hemi's in some form or another until then.

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
I think you should read that as: 'of the (few) all new models we introduce from now till 2025, 98% will have some sort of an electric or hybrid option available'. They love to phrase the marketing jargon so they're not technically lying, but it sounds way more impressive than it actually will be. 😄

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I think they should slow their roll. Dumping all their eggs in one basket in that amount of time is stupid if you ask me. I'm all for a few models ev/hybrid at first, but all of them?

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
ITs the same old story Bureaucrats in office writing laws and guidelines to force change that is all hyped up for what select few think will resolve Mother Nature issues. The Governments need to be sued for their governing and financial harm they do unto others. The markets should have reasonable time to work thru change and monies spent on penalties should be monies spent for R&D.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
An electrified Jeep.....that's perfect. Charging them won't be a problem out in the desert...or up in the mountains.....there are plenty of charging stations out there.

But wait.....that means they'll have to put charging stations in the wilderness campgrounds for the EV's......which of course means tearing up all that nature and laying cables in for that infrastructure.

That's so ecologically sound.

If I were a small store in the area, I would have 5 chargers installed and have them set as pay as you go. people would come down to charge their cars....and have time to kill...so they could buy breakfast or lunch at my store....plus ice and other things....and of course I would raise the prices just a bit.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
And just what is the cable from the charging station going to be hooked up to?

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
An electrified Jeep.....that's perfect. Charging them won't be a problem out in the desert...or up in the mountains.....there are plenty of charging stations out there.

But wait.....that means they'll have to put charging stations in the wilderness campgrounds for the EV's......which of course means tearing up all that nature and laying cables in for that infrastructure.

That's so ecologically sound.

If I were a small store in the area, I would have 5 chargers installed and have them set as pay as you go. people would come down to charge their cars....and have time to kill...so they could buy breakfast or lunch at my store....plus ice and other things....and of course I would raise the prices just a bit.
Good idea. I was thinking build a big off road service truck sort of rig with a powerful turbine generator on it. Station such trucks at popular locations in the back country and charge lots of cash for charge up services. The service trucks could even go to dead, out of charge Jeeps. Maybe have a off road taco truck to accompany the mobile charging trucks...and a beer truck with hot serving girls... Maybe a Sky Crane helicopter service to go out and retrieve dead jeeps..

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Good idea. I was thinking build a big off road service truck sort of rig with a powerful turbine generator on it. Station such trucks at popular locations in the back country and charge lots of cash for charge up services. The service trucks could even go to dead, out of charge Jeeps. Maybe have a off road taco truck to accompany the mobile charging trucks...and a beer truck with hot serving girls... Maybe a Sky Crane helicopter service to go out and retrieve dead jeeps..
Hell yes....I like it.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
And just what is the cable from the charging station going to be hooked up to?
The high dollar golf carts.....I mean EV's...that they need to charge......

and my wallet.....pushing the money in :p

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
ITs the same old story Bureaucrats in office writing laws and guidelines to force change that is all hyped up for what select few think will resolve Mother Nature issues. The Governments need to be sued for their governing and financial harm they do unto others. The markets should have reasonable time to work thru change and monies spent on penalties should be monies spent for R&D.
The automakers have always bitched about things like this and predicted the end of the world, and yet, miraculously, the world is still here and they are in business. In fact, I don't see in any of the regulations I've seen introduced (especially in the US) a mandate that X number of cars be electric by a given date OR ELSE. Much of this is being driven by individual states (remember, states rights?) and by a fundamental sea change in the attitude of the corporate executives and the general public to these issues. I think there is far too much finger pointing and blaming the government as a general cop out to avoid responsibilty. I was involved in both HP and Compaq's efforts to offshore production for example and I hear all kinds of wild-eyed crap about the government made it happen. That is a just complete bullshit - and the sources invariably had nothing to do with the decision making process. It has to do with going where you can pay wages at a quarter or less of that in the US. Quality goes down (massively) which was my argument against doing it, but the counter argument pervails: we triple our profit margin because we don't drop pricing even though our costs have dropped substantially and we can eat the loss of business from the increased dead and malfunctioning units. Quality doesn't matter, only putting money in the coffers does. And leaving the greatest industrial nation (once upon a time) with even less capacity and fewer jobs? Who cares about that right?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I freely admit, if they get these things right, i.e., fast, reliable, and with long range (oh, and cool looking), I am in. It entertains me that in the old days it was always hard core whoever was fastest. Now, it's suddenly not about who is fastest, it's about how it sounds, how it smells, tradition. I'm still about the fastest and coolest looking personally. I don't golf, but it would be like saying I'm a purest, I won't use the new balls and metal drivers, keep using the old 50s equipment; or same for shooting. That bolt action was fine, no need for semi-auto, it's not pure. Hell, go all the way back to black powder - if you don't look like a wrecked steam locomotive with every round, you're not a real man :) And don't forget the rammer!

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
These will definitely lift a Jeep and take the family back to civilization :ROFLMAO:

s61.jpg

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Now that's old school there...

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
If we can't pull it out, we don't want the tech falling into the hands of the Chinese (until they steal it on line that is) so we'd have to Brimstone it...

brimstone strike.gif

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Now that's old school there...
Yep....rugged, reliable, low tech by todays standards which also helps with maintainability out in the bush.

After the State Dept saw the success we had with them, they pulled a bunch of Navy ones out of the boneyard and refurbed them for use in foreign lands.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State