Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Device To Cure Pedal Lag / Warranty Void?

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker
When asked, MOPAR informed me that using a Banks Pedal Monster (or similar devices) will void the warranty. How this is possible? These devices do nothing more than lower pedal-to-throttle delay time, which is no different from givin' er more gas. What's next, warranty void for driving too fast? Mr. Smith, our data indicates that you floored the accelerator three times in the last 30 days... Warranty voided! :rolleyes:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I put one on mine, and took it off.

All they do is change the electronic curve (signal) associated with the position of the pedal. In my opinion, I found no fundamental difference when I snapped to WOT with or without it, and that was the time I was looking for a difference in. For other kinds of driving (i.e., partial pedal positions), it caused the pedal to respond to a higher fuel percentage at a lower engagement of the pedal, but I was never clear on how this was any different than simply applying more pedal.

And having more physical range of the pedal to give a greater level of control and precision is a good thing in my book. (I realize not many people read my book :) )

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Sorry, can't speak to the warranty aspect of it, I agree, it shouldn't make a difference. Torque control shouldn't be affected and therefor shouldn't change what the drivetrain sees.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
I put one on mine, and took it off.

All they do is change the electronic curve (signal) associated with the position of the pedal. In my opinion, I found no fundamental difference when I snapped to WOT with or without it, and that was the time I was looking for a difference in. For other kinds of driving (i.e., partial pedal positions), it caused the pedal to respond to a higher fuel percentage at a lower engagement of the pedal, but I was never clear on how this was any different than simply applying more pedal
On our race bikes we can change the throttle cam on the actual handlebar throttle. This shortens up the time it takes to physically get to WOT. Same as youre describing essentially. The longer the throttle has to travel to WOT the longer it takes to get there. Sounds like this device is basically giving it throttle in a shorter motion just in a different way, not actually changing the map or anything.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I have Pedal Commander on both cars and would not drive without them. I do turn them off when the wife drives. She says it makes the throttle response to sensitive for her. I've never had a warranty issue with them installed.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
It will not void warranty, if you have to go to dealer just take it off & they will never know.
I put the Sprint Booster on my HC when it was stock, for better throttle response but when I got it tuned I took it off becuz that can be done in the tune.

I just put the Sprint Booster on my 2021 Ram & I like it, It also has valet mode & a throttle lock out mode ( theft protection ) where you can leave it running if you want & if someone gets in, there is no throttle at all so their going nowhere.

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
On our race bikes we can change the throttle cam on the actual handlebar throttle. This shortens up the time it takes to physically get to WOT. Same as youre describing essentially. The longer the throttle has to travel to WOT the longer it takes to get there. Sounds like this device is basically giving it throttle in a shorter motion just in a different way, not actually changing the map or anything.

And if you're fighting for .01 seconds, I can see where this could possibly help.

For me, I'm only looking for trap speed.

And while it was crude, in the testing I did, I also couldn't measure a difference in 0-60mph, certainly not in .1ths anyway.

I absolutely did notice a difference in street driving, as in less pedal gave more response.

Also, as noted above, the anti-theft part is very intriguing.

OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
Default mode midrange pedal lag is the issue. Imagine a throttle cable that loosens half-way through the range, then snaps back into action past a certain point. I want to say this is caused by the on/off function of MDS since the issue is not present in Sport mode. Default (Eco) mode only. The only way to minimized the effect, is to decrease the delay time between the pedal and the throttle body. MDS activation at only 38 MPH is (IMO) ridiculous. EPA...

Last edited:
OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
It will not void warranty, if you have to go to dealer just take it off & they will never know.
I put the Sprint Booster on my HC when it was stock, for better throttle response but when I got it tuned I took it off becuz that can be done in the tune.

I just put the Sprint Booster on my 2021 Ram & I like it, It also has valet mode & a throttle lock out mode ( theft protection ) where you can leave it running if you want & if someone gets in, there is no throttle at all so their going nowhere.
The throttle lock-out feature is interesting.

Member ID
Reactions
City
webster
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 challenger hellcat

This. Makes a stock-untuned car much more fun to drive and responsive. If your used to a tuned car a stock hellcat feels laggy if you like a responsive pedal. It does nothing for wot, but does a lot for part throttle feel as it's nearly infinitely adjustable. Just remove for warranty work if your concerned, there will be trace it was there.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Let’s assume I know someone involved in a major warranty claim. I am told SRT can take two weeks or longer to inspect and study the vehicle very close, deep and very thoroughly prior to authorizing a major item. I can tell you, if you dealer don’t agree a little with you, your in trouble with about any modification to the powertrain. Otherwise something minor like this, or maybe a similar addition like a Catch Can is not a problem.

OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
My friend reports improved "stock" transmission operation since using the Pedal Monster. TCM adaptive learning? I suspect that the computer thinks he's driving it harder than he actually is, then adapts to that routine. He wasn't comfortable with bluetooth control over the accelerator, so he opted for the Super Gauge controller.

IMG_4252.JPG IMG_4254.JPG

Last edited: