Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Decided on a replacement for Go Man Go

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Speedy I changed my oil Saturday @ 730 miles collected the oil measured and poured back into containers, yes mine was 8 quarts and dip stick from factory suggested 8 quarts by the level above markings on stick. I picked up oil and filter at Dodge dealer parts, specifically asked how many quarts does dodge call out and was told 7. After oil change I cut the filter open with large pipe cutter and shears leaving no metal to fall into filter, inspected with no visible nasties. Sent out oil sample to black stone yesterday & will post up when results come back. Also agree no hard hits unless it’s E85 in tank that I am now running. What pressure are you running on the MT’s in the back.
Are the 170s shipping with the MO-899 filter? Just wondering.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #982
@Demoniccat put 8qts in there. I'll be cutting my filter too.

@Unholy707 paranoia

Member ID
Reactions
City
Central
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Red/Red/Redeye
I'm getting ready for my first oil change and decided to try and get to the bottom of the oil capacity of the 170. Why did it come with an additional quart from the factory making it appear over filled according to the dip stick?

I reached out to my contacts and told them what I was seeing on the dip stick and sent some pictures that included the P/N. Some checking/confirming was done and low and behold the 170 is 8 quarts. Dealerships are being updated and owner manual inserts will be sent out with this updated info. Sounds like new dip sticks will have to be sent out as well. Engineering samples may have 8qt dipsticks already.

Glad I asked.
Speedy, I am very interested in the dipstick info: can you recontact them and verify if this applies to any other models as well (Redeyes???). My 2022 was overfilled by a quart. When I replaced everything to the factory fill spec, it was at the proper fill line on the dipstick and not a quart above, as it was delivered new. Is this another case of right oil level, wrong dipstick? (Reminds me of the Gen1 Vipers where this exact thing happened 30 years ago when the fill spec was 11 quarts but the assembly line dipsticks were showing as being overfilled at only 10 quarts. They had to issue a TSB and new dipsticks with the correct line with 11 quarts as full.)

Last edited:

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat

2ndgen

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orem
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Is the D170 oil pan the same? Could explain an extra quart.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
Is the D170 oil pan the same? Could explain an extra quart.
I sure hope the 170 pan is bigger than the rest, otherwise we may have "Dipstick-gate" Round 2 on our hands!! o_O

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Yes there is 8 qts back in pan already.

Also yes @jroyk M0-899 Filter from factory.

Exact same filter you buy over Ma Mopar’s parts counter, all but for the “Factory Installed” printed on bottom of filter. And the other pressing question answer is yes I drained oil cooler too.

Attachments

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I’m going to put 8 QTs in my 2015 hellcat

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Just kidding. Too much oil kills power. This has to be for saftey due to oil pressure drop from G forces and wheelies at launch.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Is anyone logging oil pressure after making hits? Would like to see 8qts compared to 7

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #991
I'm gonna use the SRT filter on mine.

I log oil pressure.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I sure hope the 170 pan is bigger than the rest, otherwise we may have "Dipstick-gate" Round 2 on our hands!! o_O
Much easier to make a shorter dipstick then new pan. Plus a cost savings:unsure:

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #993
Hmmm, I may look at shortening my dip stick. Wait that didn't sound quite right :oops:

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
So IF the pan volume is essentially the same on the 170 and IF an eight quart fill was an intentional move, then one might conclude that Mr. Wilder & team learned this during development testing that the launch g's were high enough to cause oil starvation and possible engine damage, and basically an "overfill" was all they could reasonably do to solve the problem given the tight schedule? If I were a 170 owner and racing the car, I would demand to know the answer. Since I am not a 170 owner, I will just keep 7qt in mine for trips to the ice cream shop on Sundays :cool:

Member ID
Reactions
City
Central
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Red/Red/Redeye
Hmmm, I may look at shortening my dip stick. Wait that didn't sound quite right :oops:
Without commenting on any medical/anatomical issues you may be suffering from, :oops: the easiest remedy is this: after refilling the engine with the correct amount of oil they say should be in there, simply use some oil resistant engine paint and make a paint mark on the old dipstick at the new level. I would shy away from scribing an actual mark since I did that once and the dipstick eventually snapped at that spot when I reinstalled it. (in the Pontiac 455HO we installed in my Gramma's 1975 Firebird). Now THAT was a fun time trying to remove it, once the broken tip fell into the oil pan.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
So IF the pan volume is essentially the same on the 170 and IF an eight quart fill was an intentional move, then one might conclude that Mr. Wilder & team learned this during development testing that the launch g's were high enough to cause oil starvation and possible engine damage, and basically an "overfill" was all they could reasonably do to solve the problem given the tight schedule? If I were a 170 owner and racing the car, I would demand to know the answer. Since I am not a 170 owner, I will just keep 7qt in mine for trips to the ice cream shop on Sundays :cool:
If that's true and those so called experts knew that and did not inform owners of 170's that and waited for engine failures that speaks volumes of Mopar/Dodge/Stellanis mentally.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I watched Pete Harold's video on Leroys engine failure and you could see from the data that oil pressure dropped significantly as boost increased.

He stated that on wet sump engines that an overfill of 1 - 2 qts is necessary to prevent oil starvation and possible engine failure.

There were other reasons that combined to cause the failure.

This could possibly be why these cars are coming from the factory overfilled by 1qt?

Cleetus's guys did an oil change and only put back the normal amount of oil. Seems like they weren't informed.

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Speculation at this point

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #999
STOP THE PRESS

SRT just called me, literally just hung up. Seems it is 7 QUARTS and the info provided to them yesterday was NOT correct. Oiy vey. They profusely apologized and made the comment that the person that provided incorrect info had been tarred and feathered.

They are now investigating why they are overfilled as delivered.

Glad they called. I just stopped at the dealer this morning and picked up that extra quart but haven't put it in the car yet.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Central
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Red/Red/Redeye
STOP THE PRESS

SRT just called me, literally just hung up. Seems it is 7 QUARTS and the info provided to them yesterday was NOT correct. Oiy vey. They profusely apologized and made the comment that the person that provided incorrect info had been tarred and feathered.

They are now investigating why they are overfilled as delivered.

Glad they called. I just stopped at the dealer this morning and picked up that extra quart but haven't put it in the car yet.

OUCH! I bet they make him trade in his company car Demon and have to drive a hornet for the next year as punishment.