Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dealership Not Taking Appointments - lack of workers says service manager

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Yep.

I was the eternal "team player". Need me to work late....sure, I'll stay. Need me to work this weekend......sure, I'll come in. Need me to keep traveling to help the company.....sure, I'll go.

Yet, when the company had a hiccup in finances, all the extra that I gave didn't stop me from getting laid off just like the folks who were 8 for 8 and out the gate. And when I would bring up all of my extra "team player" effort and sacrifice for the company, those same companies had no problem responding, "well, you got paid for all that OT right?". They had no problem boiling me and my efforts down to dollars and cents.

Companies like that, and their corporate bean counters ruined people like me. They instilled that my value was all monetary to them in the end. They shouldn't be upset when some of their workers respond in kind.

The younger generations have watched time and again how their parents, relatives, and friends have been cast aside by companies when the stock price dips .02, yet give millions of dollars in golden parachutes to corporate execs who have embezzled, or run said companies into the ground, and they don't want to go down that road. Who can blame them. Corporate America has shown very little loyalty to it's workers, so they shouldn't expect anything different in return.

I'm an old codger with a few years left to work, but will be glad when my time comes to retire.
I've witnessed that mentality far too often...It is not as prevalent in small privately owned companies (less than 100 employees)...I understand the dynamic....that mindset along with labor unions overprotection of problematic employees...has adversely affected the spirit of a portion of todays working class...

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
That kind of behaviour on the part of management is just idiotic. Seen it many times. If you'll take what they'll pay you, they'll keep it static and pay new hires more. Now regional differences I can see depending on the job. For example, in LA we paid roll off drivers with a few years of experience $120,000 a year in 2003 when I was with XX. Super competitive market. But that was freaking awesome money for driving a garbage truck back then.

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
If indeed that is the case...and holds true throughout the company where managers earn the same rate as hourly workers...its time to look for another job...
They justify it by saying we make the real money in our 10+ hours of overtime each week. Which is decent. But at the same time, I’d rather a 40 hour week that pays me a decent wage above my other employees. More often than not, my 10 hour days end up being 12-14.

But I digress, I have begun my search for another job. I’ve decided I’ll wait until my current boss retires and see if they decide to give me my own store or not. If they do give me my own store, things will be significantly different than what they are now.

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
OP
Finface

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
Thread Starter #45
That kind of behaviour on the part of management is just idiotic. Seen it many times. If you'll take what they'll pay you, they'll keep it static and pay new hires more. Now regional differences I can see depending on the job. For example, in LA we paid roll off drivers with a few years of experience $120,000 a year in 2003 when I was with XX. Super competitive market. But that was freaking awesome money for driving a garbage truck back then.
Magnified and All,

The steady good paying jobs in manufacturing that Americans enjoyed beginning in WW II, and for almost three decades afterwards, I see as a historical abnormality that is in a protracted correction mode. From 1941 to about 1975 our companies sold goods and services to a rebuilding world. We loaned Europe money with the Marshall Plan. Our cities and factories were intact, most of the world's was in ruins. We had natural resources, including oil. We had an economic system which enabled creation of wealth and workers eager to share in it.

All those advantages gradually eroded as other countries, and their workers (to one degree or another) began to compete and build wealth. We became the consumers of cheaply made electronics and cars instead of exporters. The problem for US workers, and managements, is that the cost basis to manufacture competitive products here became a lot higher than relocating factories elsewhere. Globalization policies offered - dictated really - the stark economic reality that to stay in business this cost basis imbalance had to be corrected.

There are only two ways to do this, unless you're willing to create trade barriers like tariffs and embargoes which too often backfire, and even set the stage for more wars. The one I've always wanted to see is the rest of the world adopting worker protections like we have enacted here that would raise the cost basis overseas. Compensation here is a blend of pay and benefits that doesn't exist in most emerging nations. Tax policies are a blend of incentives - carrots and sticks - to support what has come to be called American Capitalism. Benefits like unemployment insurance, worker's compensation for injuries on the job, pensions (now being replaced with 401k plans), paid vacation time, sick leave and medical insurance - even the 40 hour work week and paid holidays - have all put a human face on unfettered capitalism's uncaring bottom line. We need only look back 100 to 150 years ago to see how grim life was for the average hourly worker. It is a fact that American trade policies in the form of NAFTA did not better protect our workers and fully embraced the economic reality that our factories would relocate.

The other factor at play in addressing the cost basis imbalance is what we're seeing happening. American wages and standard of living gradually erodes - falls back to better compare with those costs overseas. The factories and jobs come back to within our physical borders only when the cost of making them here becomes competitive with the cost of making them there (including transportation costs, etc). This is why manufacturing wages here have stagnated for so long - except in the areas where we maintained a technological advantage. Even that is changing with China putting a rover on Mars a few months ago.

That's the backdrop - the biggest factor in the loss of jobs and the erosion of benefits for the lowest paid workers where it has occurred in the last 40 years - but even more recently job losses and the downward pressure on compensation everywhere is complicated by innovations in robotics, and now increasingly by AI. The response during the pandemic by managements is to look for ways to do the job without humans. Many jobs will never come back.

I started this thread because I found it surprising that a major car dealership can't hire enough workers to make appointments for service. How bare bones an operation is that? I appreciate the comments by owners of businesses and those personally feeling the pinch of how managements are trying to attract new hires with better wages. Inflation is around the corner, if not already here.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
@T_Trahan44 if not too personal a question, may I ask what they pay you per hour? I completely understand if you do not answer.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Fin, in the middle of something, can't read it now but will this evening.

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
@T_Trahan44 if not too personal a question, may I ask what they pay you per hour? I completely understand if you do not answer.
I don’t really mind when people ask. It’s nothing I’m ashamed of. I make 16.48 an hour for 40 hours. And then 24.72 for any time after the standard 40. It averages out to be about 17 an hour in the paychecks.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States
They really do undervalue you.

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
I don’t really mind when people ask. It’s nothing I’m ashamed of. I make 16.48 an hour for 40 hours. And then 24.72 for any time after the standard 40. It averages out to be about 17 an hour in the paychecks.
Unfortunately when young and working for big corporations you have to move jobs a few times to make progress. You don't want to get stuck in a position with new hires making the same or nearly the same while you spin your wheels. Keep long term goals in minds and make moves now and then. Not too often or you will look like a job hopper. Stay too long though and people will wonder why. Hopefully you get somewhere, develop an impressive resume and then find a great job with good quality of life. I've reached the quality of life stage where the money is decent but not the most important factor. Best of luck on your job search!

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
Unfortunately when young and working for big corporations you have to move jobs a few times to make progress. You don't want to get stuck in a position with new hires making the same or nearly the same while you spin your wheels. Keep long term goals in minds and make moves now and then. Not too often or you will look like a job hopper. Stay too long though and people will wonder why. Hopefully you get somewhere, develop an impressive resume and then find a great job with good quality of life. I've reached the quality of life stage where the money is decent but not the most important factor. Best of luck on your job search!
My personal rule is to stay at a place of employment a bare minimum of 9 months to a year. I appreciate the words of encouragement. I do enjoy my job, and it was kind of the high end goal of this career choice. And if things don’t change at my bosses retirement, then I will begin searching harder. For now, I’m simply taking a glance and paying attention to the offers sent my way.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States
Interviewed one lady so far today, and hired her.
Two more interviews to go.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
My dealer seems to be extremely busy and appointments are 5-6 work days out. They seem to have most of not all of their old guys and a couple of new guys.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Yep.

I was the eternal "team player". Need me to work late....sure, I'll stay. Need me to work this weekend......sure, I'll come in. Need me to keep traveling to help the company.....sure, I'll go.

Yet, when the company had a hiccup in finances, all the extra that I gave didn't stop me from getting laid off just like the folks who were 8 for 8 and out the gate. And when I would bring up all of my extra "team player" effort and sacrifice for the company, those same companies had no problem responding, "well, you got paid for all that OT right?". They had no problem boiling me and my efforts down to dollars and cents.

Companies like that, and their corporate bean counters ruined people like me. They instilled that my value was all monetary to them in the end. They shouldn't be upset when some of their workers respond in kind.

The younger generations have watched time and again how their parents, relatives, and friends have been cast aside by companies when the stock price dips .02, yet give millions of dollars in golden parachutes to corporate execs who have embezzled, or run said companies into the ground, and they don't want to go down that road. Who can blame them. Corporate America has shown very little loyalty to it's workers, so they shouldn't expect anything different in return.

I'm an old codger with a few years left to work, but will be glad when my time comes to retire.
There is no more loyalty in the corporate world.
Pay scales will top out at positions unless you get a promotion. 1 spot for X amount of employees.
Dog eat dog.

I've managed to carve out a little niche in that no one can do my job (a tip from my now retired boss). Still, I have my eyes on either buying a business or franchise and going out on my own.

I'm finally in a spot in life that I can make that happen and plan to do it in the next couple of years.

I don't mind being competitive, but I will not play politics or other shenanigans to move up a ladder.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Best thing to do would be take the knowledge that you learned running a store for someone else, quit, and open your own store. Then the money you work hard to earn is all yours. I couldn't imagine not being self employed for the most part. Yes I do also have a contract job I work at, but the work is fun, and the pay is ridiculously good. If they were only going to pay me say a mere $50/hour, I wouldn't so it. I work 3 weeks out of every 8, and make 10 times what most people do working full time.
Hey Knot guy....can ya spot me a fistfull of C notes..till I straighten out ????;););)

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
There is no more loyalty in the corporate world.
Pay scales will top out at positions unless you get a promotion. 1 spot for X amount of employees.
Dog eat dog.

I've managed to carve out a little niche in that no one can do my job (a tip from my now retired boss). Still, I have my eyes on either buying a business or franchise and going out on my own.

I'm finally in a spot in life that I can make that happen and plan to do it in the next couple of years.

I don't mind being competitive, but I will not play politics or other shenanigans to move up a ladder.
I could never understand wasting talent making somebody else rich....(unless the compensation was exceptional)..when you own your own business...you get to eat what you kill..the only downside..at 2 or 3 in the morning when a major issue arises...it's my phone that rings...but I wouldn't have it any other way....

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
Hey Knot guy....can ya spot me a fistfull of C notes..till I straighten out ????;););)
Don’t do it! He’ll lose it, betting on the races! His wife always beats him in her C8! LOL
Crazy guy bets on his own race. Tsk tsk.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Well if the research is self-reporting, it's easier to to say it's a self-actualization quest than to say I can make ends meet by staying home. The list of jobs that Americans won't do has grown enormously post COVID.
Thank god for the illegals.....after all..somebody's gotta pick the weeds...and sweep the floors...;);)

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Don’t do it! He’ll lose it, betting on the races! His wife always beats him in her C8! LOL
Crazy guy bets on his own race. Tsk tsk.
Awwww T man...I am a gambler..any time you wanna seat at our poker table...let me know...hell..I'll even fly you in..bring cash..when were done with you...yer gonna be livin in a box under a bridge on I-90...;););)

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
Awwww T man...I am a gambler..any time you wanna seat at our poker table...let me know...hell..I'll even fly you in..bring cash..when were done with you...yer gonna be livin in a box under a bridge on I-90...;););)
I’m no gambling man, but I’ve been known to take a bet or two! If you’re paying the rent, I won’t mind a box under the bridge! Lol