Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Boostane

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
What is the reason you are looking at Octane boosters?
For Daily Driving maybe going to the track?

Page 452 of the owners manual:

•The use of fuel additives, which are now being sold as octane enhancers, is not recommended. Most of these products contain high concentrations of methanol. Fuel system damage or vehicle performance problems resulting from the use of such fuels or additives is not the responsibility of the manufacturer and may void or not be covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I'm in NM and the highest octane i have found is 91...conventional wisdom is we don't need 93 at this altitude. But i wonder. There used to be one station in Albuq selling 101. Would blend in my 944T to about 96. Sure seemed to run better on the butt dyno. The additives sound enticing, but your tales of internal gunk...I'll pass.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
This one looks similar, but one seems not affected. View attachment 46132
I had a coolant leak is a SC brick above one that looked about just like your clean one. You loosing any Intercooler coolant by chance?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Let me clarify, that was head / valve discoloration from Boostane correct, not from Octanium, correct?

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
I think from the other engine build thread, he said it was all VP Octanium, and he used a quart per tank for a long time, which is quite a bit. No doubt MMT works, and it leaves orange behind. I have a little orange residue on my exhaust tips - wipes right off. I try to use only a little bit, just to bump the crappy 91 we have on west coast up to about 93-95. So far, no issues. And just a point for comparison - anyone who has used leaded racing fuel for any length of time will know it also leaves residue, just gray and white in color. I do not know how to get high octane without a chemical additive - in the old days, it was lead compound (TEL) and some other aromatic hydrocarbons. In pump gas, MMT is proven to work. Either way, have to deal with the consequences or go to an alcohol fuel, which also has pros/cons. so no easy solution.

Last edited:

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Weren’t a lot of guys running Sunoco 260 GT Plus in their Demons as the preferred fuel? Isn’t that one of the more popular race gases on this forum?
Do the guys using it know it has MMT in it just like all of the octane booster additives? Do they know that Sunoco credits the MMT for it’s increased octane?

Oxygenated (alcohol infused) gas is great for octane, but it’s lower on power than unoxygenated fuel. It’s 6 of one and half dozen of the other…

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I had a coolant leak is a SC brick above one that looked about just like your clean one. You loosing any Intercooler coolant by chance?
Interesting observation, because that engine is interesting. Thank you. I was generally surprised at the look of the inside of that head. The IC coolant was intact, but a SC took a dump on those heads at high RPM. The CAT on that side was disintegrated, and we don’t know how long it may have been effecting things either, again with high RPM operations.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Weren’t a lot of guys running Sunoco 260 GT Plus in their Demons as the preferred fuel? Isn’t that one of the more popular race gases on this forum?
Do the guys using it know it has MMT in it just like all of the octane booster additives? Do they know that Sunoco credits the MMT for it’s increased octane?

Oxygenated (alcohol infused) gas is great for octane, but it’s lower on power than unoxygenated fuel. It’s 6 of one and half dozen of the other…
I didn't know the Sunoco 260 GT Plus contained MMT. Interesting. What fuel did Mopar recommend for the Demon on HO?

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
I didn't know the Sunoco 260 GT Plus contained MMT. Interesting. What fuel did Mopar recommend for the Demon on HO?
“SUNOCO” said:
260 GT Plus® is a high octane, highly oxygenated unleaded race fuel.

Because 260 GT Plus contains more oxygen than is allowed in pump gas, it is for off-road and racing use only. However, it will not harm oxygen sensors. Due to its high oxygen content, an increase in fuel flow is required to utilize the full potential of 260 GT Plus compared to conventional non-oxygenated fuels.

Sunoco 260 GT Plus contains additives to enhance shelf life and promote engine cleanliness. As with any gasoline, it should be stored in opaque, tightly sealed containers and kept where temperatures are stable. Properly stored, the shelf life of 260 GT Plus is in excess of 1 year.

Note: exposure to sun light (ultraviolet light) can degrade the octane of this fuel and must be avoided. Contains octane boosting additive, MMT.
dragrcr said:
The SRT Engineers told me that during development of the Demon they used Sonoco 260GT. Sometimes if they had to offset the lower octane of some remaining Pump Gas in the tank they would use the 260 GT Plus.
A lot of the guys who shit on Boostane and other MMT based boosters don’t know what they’re running or what they’re talking about. I was surprised to see it too… but it’s there in black and white.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
There ya go. Wonder what the ppm is vs adding some additive. Mike's pics don't lie that 32oz in 18 gallons caked up the exhaust valves.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
There ya go. Wonder what the ppm is vs adding some additive. Mike's pics don't lie that 32oz in 18 gallons caked up the exhaust valves.
It definitely left some residue behind, no doubt. Not sure if a seafoam or other detergent type treatments, done regularly, would have helped with that. We won’t know until people know they’re using MMT, actively try to fight the buildup, and then do a tear down. So, we will probably never know, lol.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
It definitely left some residue behind, no doubt. Not sure if a seafoam or other detergent type treatments, done regularly, would have helped with that. We won’t know until people know they’re using MMT, actively try to fight the buildup, and then do a tear down. So, we will probably never know, lol.
I soaked the chambers over night a different chemical in each chamber from brake fluid to Tricholethayne to. MEK to acetone, gasoline, lacquer thinner, the product itself and nothing softened it. I doubt any gas additive would have have helped. A word to note, I sent my 12,000 mile ID1050X out to ID to test and clean, well they came back just about as found at all in the 1090’s all as found and all 1095 +/- 1 cc as returned. The stuff keeps injectors clean or the last 3000 miles of corn helped ?? PS, 98% ethanol didn’t cut it either. 3M and Dremel had to. I can also see how they are keeping up with ethanol well to, they flow high for 1050 rated injectors. I’ve seen test results for FIC 1200’s that where in the 1170’s new.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
So as Jack showed above, race gas also contains MMT (not just octane "booster" products). Given that, how is one supposed to maintain the 100 octane level needed to take full advantage of the Demon in HO mode -without- having any build-up on the exhaust valves? Could it be that the build-up poses no detrimental effects when it comes to the performance and overall health of the engine? If Dodge built a stock system that requires 100 octane and the only practical way to achieve/maintain that level is through the use of an MMT additive, then its logical to assume that they are aware of this build-up but not overly concerned about it.

MMT is only being used because lead (which served the same purpose as MMT) is no longer deemed healthy for the general public to 'consume' (via lead paint, lead in the atmosphere from emissions, etc). Also, as previously noted, leaded gas left behind a residue too (grey vs orange) but not many on here seem to acknowledge or be concerned about that fact.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
That picture I posted is a head with just over 11,000 miles and over its life has no more than nearly one case of Octanium run thru it. Recently I used 98 oct unleaded to enhance it, after I saw what Octanium did in this thread. Still too much orange and other colors for my eye.

OP
covidcommander

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Thread Starter #35
What is the reason you are looking at Octane boosters?
For Daily Driving maybe going to the track?

Page 452 of the owners manual:

•The use of fuel additives, which are now being sold as octane enhancers, is not recommended. Most of these products contain high concentrations of methanol. Fuel system damage or vehicle performance problems resulting from the use of such fuels or additives is not the responsibility of the manufacturer and may void or not be covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Yes hard to find any gas over 91 around here

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Studies have shown that prolonged exposure can clog up cats, and o2 sensors, and to be prepared to replace them if you’re running MMT. That’s exactly the same suggestion as if you were running leaded fuel. Sunoco seems less concerned with it building up and fouling out -

“Sunoco” said:
Some high octane unleaded fuels, 260 GT Plus and Sunoco EVO 10, and octane boosters contain the additive MMT. MMT is a very effective octane booster and doesn’t harm oxygen sensors or catalytic converters so, it is ideal for modern vehicles. Please note this additive is degraded by sunlight and can lose all octane boosting properties within minutes of exposure (L.Ter Haar). Degraded MMT will settle to the bottom of the container as a rust colored material that can clog fuel lines and filters. Extra care needs to be used when storing and handling MMT fuels in order to minimize contact with sunlight. The additive is stable in gasoline as long as no UV light hits the fuel. Sunoco 260 GT Plus and Sunoco EVO 10 are the only Sunoco race fuels that contain MMT.
As you can see, it’s only the 260 GT Plus and EVO 10 with MMT. 260 GT and SS 100 are unleaded and do not contain MMT… they do, however, contain other octane boosters.

@16GoManGoHC2 - I understand that it was impossible to clean off after extended use, but what if after a tank of Octanium you ran a tank of E85, for example. Then it isn’t tank after tank with buildup getting worse day over day. Now, I fully understand that people who can run E85 don’t have a need for MMT, but that’s the sort of process I’m referring to.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Studies have shown that prolonged exposure can clog up cats, and o2 sensors, and to be prepared to replace them if you’re running MMT. That’s exactly the same suggestion as if you were running leaded fuel. Sunoco seems less concerned with it building up and fouling out -

As you can see, it’s only the 260 GT Plus and EVO 10 with MMT. 260 GT and SS 100 are unleaded and do not contain MMT… they do, however, contain other octane boosters.

@16GoManGoHC2 - I understand that it was impossible to clean off after extended use, but what if after a tank of Octanium you ran a tank of E85, for example. Then it isn’t tank after tank with buildup getting worse day over day. Now, I fully understand that people who can run E85 don’t have a need for MMT, but that’s the sort of process I’m referring to.
To switch back a forth to much of a pain, if corn is around just run it 24/7 and never worry about MMT fouling!!

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I've been catching and following this thread and the earlier one posted by @16GoManGoHC2 sporadically as I'm not on here as frequent as I used to be. It's very interesting and informative, but unless I'm missing something, these buildups of MMT residue don't look that bad to me. I've been building engines a long time and combustion...leaves residue. I've pulled apart straight pump gasoline engines that had a lot uglier combustion chambers than that. Usually oil passing rings, or just pig rich carburation leaving big deposits way worse than that. I think @Speedy! 's "1/4 inch buildup" is a bit tongue in cheek. I just put ( yes, another) hellraiser 3.1 pulley on my RE and am actually running the VP as insurance against knock, for I am without a tune yet and just sent my TB to Fastman for the 95MM treatment.
Unless your running straight E85 or E98 I would expect some residue from the combustion process. Again, It just doesn't look unusually bad imho.

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
In the late 70's, early 80's, I used to run a Moroso octane booster that had tetra ethyl lead in it. I used goggles and heavy rubber gloves when adding it to pump gas. Worked like a champ.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I've been catching and following this thread and the earlier one posted by @16GoManGoHC2 sporadically as I'm not on here as frequent as I used to be. It's very interesting and informative, but unless I'm missing something, these buildups of MMT residue don't look that bad to me. I've been building engines a long time and combustion...leaves residue. I've pulled apart straight pump gasoline engines that had a lot uglier combustion chambers than that. Usually oil passing rings, or just pig rich carburation leaving big deposits way worse than that. I think @Speedy! 's "1/4 inch buildup" is a bit tongue in cheek. I just put ( yes, another) hellraiser 3.1 pulley on my RE and am actually running the VP as insurance against knock, for I am without a tune yet and just sent my TB to Fastman for the 95MM treatment.
Unless your running straight E85 or E98 I would expect some residue from the combustion process. Again, It just doesn't look unusually bad imho.
The 1/4” @Speedy! is talking about was in my exhaust valves. Look at the depth of a the tulip on a cleaned exhaust valve and compare it to the totally filled in exhaust valves. The buildup completely filled the tulips in to where they appeared to be flat top valves like the intakes are.