Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

359 mile Demon for sale

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I agree on the diversification for sure and yes there will always be exceptions, but we have to be realistic and think TCO as a whole. I don't know anyone getting 1.5X MSRP for a Demon. I don't know that going by BAT or what happened last month at Mecum is really a barometer. If you believe BAT then my 2002 4Runner is worth $25K (I wish!). I'd love to find someone really deep in to it though that I could run around with just to get a look deeper in to the car collecting/flipping culture. Seems to be a fickle bunch.

I've known three people to sell their Demons and none did very well. I've mentioned my buddy before who had a Demon he put in bubble wrap for 3 years. He had a very hard time selling it a few months back. I know because I tried to help sell it myself. I tried here, the old site, ebay, all over and barely even a nibble. He ended up selling it back to the dealer he got it from to break even (which really means lost money). I listened to him tell me for 3 years how much that car was gonna be worth. He thought he was gonna wait 3 years and pull it out of storage and have the only one left with 20 miles on it. Well 3,000 other people have the same thing and that's the rub. Too many have been bubble wrapped and put up to make them really rare. You all can thank the Mecums and Barretts of the world for that.

The Cobra R you mention is another easy example. They're not REALLY worth 2X MSRP when you factor in that bitch inflation. Now factor in having to store and maintain that car for 20 years and you've probably lost money.

However if you bought 100oz of gold in 2000 you'd have profited nearly $170K today and had no worry about maintenance, rust, etc. Not as much fun sure, but neither are those cars that sit in bubble wrap right :)

It seems to me that the people that view vehicles as investments are in a certain age group. Those folks will probably continue propping some of these cars up until they are no longer with us and then the kids get them and just sell them as quick as they can. That's when the bottom falls out and you don't wanna be the guy with a garage full of cars with 401K on the license plate.

If you love cars and buy them to enjoy them, then none of this applies obviously, since it's not about the investment so much as it is just enjoying them for what they are.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #22
I have had a few cars that I couldn't drive because it would hurt their value. I no longer have any that I don't use because of that reason. Zero fun.
Always exercise your hot rods!!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I had a 1 of 1400 motorcycle a few years ago. I bought it because I liked the paint job, not because it was limited but it was the same kinda deal. For spare parts you had to provide VIN and all that to dealer, etc. I was always scared to death to scratch it or worse so it sorta kept me from fully enjoying it. I still rode the wheels off the thing but that was it for me on limited editions. When I did sell it I didn't get anymore for it than normal ones either. It was only $500 more than a standard one due to the paint scheme so not a big deal, but I knew people who bubble wrapped those too.

Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Cars are terrible investments. Way better options
They will yield some capital, but one will need to be young and buy at least 10 specially produced vehicles. Gold, guns, silver, those can be good investments. At 59 I just enjoy my Hellcat,if it goes up in value, then that will be cool, but I have it to enjoy.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #25
I had a 1 of 1400 motorcycle a few years ago. I bought it because I liked the paint job, not because it was limited but it was the same kinda deal. For spare parts you had to provide VIN and all that to dealer, etc. I was always scared to death to scratch it or worse so it sorta kept me from fully enjoying it. I still rode the wheels off the thing but that was it for me on limited editions. When I did sell it I didn't get anymore for it than normal ones either. It was only $500 more than a standard one due to the paint scheme so not a big deal, but I knew people who bubble wrapped those too.
If I ever do buy a Demon it will be drag raced. That's its intended use.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
I agree on the diversification for sure and yes there will always be exceptions, but we have to be realistic and think TCO as a whole. I don't know anyone getting 1.5X MSRP for a Demon. I don't know that going by BAT or what happened last month at Mecum is really a barometer. If you believe BAT then my 2002 4Runner is worth $25K (I wish!). I'd love to find someone really deep in to it though that I could run around with just to get a look deeper in to the car collecting/flipping culture. Seems to be a fickle bunch.

I've known three people to sell their Demons and none did very well. I've mentioned my buddy before who had a Demon he put in bubble wrap for 3 years. He had a very hard time selling it a few months back. I know because I tried to help sell it myself. I tried here, the old site, ebay, all over and barely even a nibble. He ended up selling it back to the dealer he got it from to break even (which really means lost money). I listened to him tell me for 3 years how much that car was gonna be worth. He thought he was gonna wait 3 years and pull it out of storage and have the only one left with 20 miles on it. Well 3,000 other people have the same thing and that's the rub. Too many have been bubble wrapped and put up to make them really rare. You all can thank the Mecums and Barretts of the world for that.

The Cobra R you mention is another easy example. They're not REALLY worth 2X MSRP when you factor in that bitch inflation. Now factor in having to store and maintain that car for 20 years and you've probably lost money.

However if you bought 100oz of gold in 2000 you'd have profited nearly $170K today and had no worry about maintenance, rust, etc. Not as much fun sure, but neither are those cars that sit in bubble wrap right :)

It seems to me that the people that view vehicles as investments are in a certain age group. Those folks will probably continue propping some of these cars up until they are no longer with us and then the kids get them and just sell them as quick as they can. That's when the bottom falls out and you don't wanna be the guy with a garage full of cars with 401K on the license plate.

If you love cars and buy them to enjoy them, then none of this applies obviously, since it's not about the investment so much as it is just enjoying them for what they are.
Plenty of people are getting 1.5x for Demons.

The post you literally are writing illustrates this point, lol (90 x 1.5 = 135K, which is less than the 150K the new owner just shelled out).

If you need even more proof click here:

https://bringatrailer.com/search/?s=demon

You may not appreciate BAT or like some on here, get "mad" at high prices (BAT, live auctions etc) but it is reality, like it or not. People exchange cars and $ at these prices on a regular basis. It's an actual marketplace, not a hypotethcial alternate reality.

Hell, my brother (counter to my advice) sold his 650-mile plum crazy Demon for 155K in August. This is first hand knowledge.

Unless you live in a vacuum, (which I do not recommend since oxygen would not be present) you also would know many cars are way up in recent years, not the least of which is any vehicle with a Hellcat SC engine under its hood. Many other (non-Mopar) examples exist that fit the appreciation model these days.

As I said previously, it's all in moderation. Buying 10 Demons as a retirement plan is dumb. Having a C8 Z06 in the garage to enjoy, and yes, watch it likely appreciate (esp with electrification on the way in) isn't a bad idea in my (and many other people's) opinion.

In the end, investment is a personal choice. I've done very well with cars as a modest part of my mix over the past 25 years or so. I'm sure your plan has been a great one for you as well.

PS I remember this anecdote about your buddy's Demon. I am pretty certain that it was not "a couple of months ago" at this point (1-2 years?) As you can see from the real-world BAT prices over the past year alone, he would do pretty well right now if he tried to sell. 2019 is definitely not 2022. On that point, we probably can agree!

"I've known three people to sell their Demons and none did very well. I've mentioned my buddy before who had a Demon he put in bubble wrap for 3 years. He had a very hard time selling it a few months back."

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
I have had a few cars that I couldn't drive because it would hurt their value. I no longer have any that I don't use because of that reason. Zero fun.
Always exercise your hot rods!!
That is me for sure!

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
If I ever do buy a Demon it will be drag raced. That's its intended use.
Oh for sure. The nice thing there is, you can drag race and have your cake and eat it too!

1/4 mile x 1000 passes = 250 miles!

#Winning! :love:

Last edited:
OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #29
Oh for sure. The nice thing there is, you can drag race it and have your cake and eat it too!

1/4 mile x 1000 passes = 250 miles!

#Winning! :love:
Always check the fenderwells for rubber...😎😎

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
My buddy sold his Demon back to the dealer last summer after trying for I think a year to sell it <shrug>. Maybe if you live in that car flipping culture you have better luck. He made a living flipping 70 Mopars for a while so I'd have thought he was in the "know" but maybe not. He's always telling me stories of finding some rare 70 something sitting in someone's back yard, buying it, and having it sold for twice the money before he hauls it home.

You're the first person I've heard of who even knows somebody who got that kinda money for a Demon. $155K seems nuts for a Demon but good on your brother for cashing in.

I got curious so I looked up my car's value....only $51K so not spectacular but mine's one of those 2016s that were over produced so meh.

$25K for my 4Runner is tempting if BAT is legit, but I love it too much to sell it. Crazy as a few years ago I was offered $1500 on trade and kept it as a result.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #31
Bring a trailer is an excellent site or run it al Mecum, Barrett Jackson or one of the smaller auctions.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
My buddy sold his Demon back to the dealer last summer after trying for I think a year to sell it <shrug>. Maybe if you live in that car flipping culture you have better luck. He made a living flipping 70 Mopars for a while so I'd have thought he was in the "know" but maybe not. He's always telling me stories of finding some rare 70 something sitting in someone's back yard, buying it, and having it sold for twice the money before he hauls it home.

You're the first person I've heard of who even knows somebody who got that kinda money for a Demon. $155K seems nuts for a Demon but good on your brother for cashing in.
Yeah man, he is far from the first to get good money for his car. There is hard evidence all around if you are willing to see it. And Demons are far from the only model/make where this is the case.

As for my bro selling, I think he will regret it. I'm definitely not letting go of mine (no matter how much he begs me to sell, lol)!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I told him that's what he gets for taking advantage of all those people on the 70 models :LOL:

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
I should have bought two.

I had a shot at 1-seater for 99K in 2019. I didn't have the space but looking back that's not a good enough reason, lol.

I love the car. What a rush. She's a perfect complement to the equally awesome but very different Viper. It took a lot of work to get that red interior with B5. I will never sell mine.

PS I think this one was well bought (150K after added on fee) for a (non-unicorn) 359 mi example.
White one?
I looked at that daily and decided against it.

The market is crazy right now. For shits and giggles i plugged my Jeep into Carvana and they are offering 1k over what I paid OTD for it with 12k miles on the odometer.
Find and MSRP dealer and buy cool shit to flip I guess.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
I will ask, how many Demons were actually sold at MSRP though?

I found a few dealers willing to play ball but once word got around that Dodge wasn't doing anything to enforce MSRP the prices took off.
Last day for ordering in September I had 3 dealers call me asking if interested. The lowest number was 25k over MSRP.

I think they are holding value which Tim K said he wanted with the Demon but that value was added to from dealers who wanted something extra as well.

And most that pop up on auctions have never been driven. What fun is that?
And now you can get a S/S and a Mopar power kit that makes 880hp!!! Demon is a killer vehicle, but I couldn't keep myself from putting miles on it.

I think Buddy sold his Demon in the mid 90s but his had 30 or 40k miles on the clock. I should have bought that one.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
White one?
I looked at that daily and decided against it.

The market is crazy right now. For shits and giggles i plugged my Jeep into Carvana and they are offering 1k over what I paid OTD for it with 12k miles on the odometer.
Find and MSRP dealer and buy cool shit to flip I guess.
Yep. Still happy u decided against it? I'd love to have a 1 seater for racing only. I think 71 Demon has 1. I have 1 unicorn Demon, wish I had 2!

As for Carvana. Tell Speedy! He doesn't think they will actually pay out! ;) These prices (pretty much for all cars) are real. Crazy, but real!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Well I will say if I was someone who paid $150K for a Demon then found out about all the ones that sell for for way less I'd feel pretty dumb for not looking around more but people paying that probably don't care and send an errand boy to go find one LOL. We couldn't get more than $105K for the one we auctioned FOR CHARITY at ChallengerFest with the car literally sitting under the hotel awning out front. It was heavily advertised all over the internet as well. That was the real eye opener for me. At the time people were running around posting links of them going for $130-$150K at auction so we thought we'd easily get $120K and I think the charity was kinda counting on it. Had Vandrake Racing not been on the phone I don't think we'd have gotten to $105K.

Get a SS and go have fun and skip the car trader drama.

My 4Runner has been an interesting vehicle. I'm not sure what makes the 3rd Gen so popular but I get emails all the time from people asking to buy it. I asked my buddy who trades cars about BAT and he thinks that's drug money haha, so who knows maybe I could get $25K for it but I'm keeping it.

I did get rid of my 2016 2SS Camaro though, and yeah I got a fat check for that used car so I know the market is lop sided right now. I'm just thankful I'm not wanting to buy anything.

Last edited:

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Well I will say if I was someone who paid $150K for a Demon then found out about all the ones that sell for for way less I'd feel pretty dumb for not looking around more but people paying that probably don't care and send an errand boy to go find one LOL. We couldn't get more than $105K for the one we auctioned FOR CHARITY at ChallengerFest with the car literally sitting under the hotel awning out front. It was heavily advertised all over the internet as well. That was the real eye opener for me. At the time people were running around posting links of them going for $130-$150K at auction so we thought we'd easily get $120K and I think the charity was kinda counting on it. Had Vandrake Racing not been on the phone I don't think we'd have gotten to $105K.

Get a SS and go have fun and skip the car trader drama.

My 4Runner has been an interesting vehicle. I'm not sure what makes the 3rd Gen so popular but I get emails all the time from people asking to buy it. I asked my buddy who trades cars about BAT and he thinks that's drug money haha, so who knows maybe I could get $25K for it but I'm keeping it.

I did get rid of my 2016 2SS Camaro though, and yeah I got a fat check for that used car so I know the market is lop sided right now. I'm just thankful I'm not wanting to buy anything.
How you sell matters. Put it on BAT, bring it to Mecum or BJ and it WILL sell for very good money. Full stop. Trying to do it yourself (even if for charity), your buddy via a dealership or craigslist, etc? Yeah, probably not gonna be the best outcome.

And if it's "only" a Hellcat, go with ANY of the Carvana-like sites. -Top Dollar- paid. Don't take my word for it, there are dozens of threads on here with ppl getting paid, some more than they paid new! Yep, it's (an actual) thing!

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Yep. Still happy u decided against it? I'd love to have a 1 seater for racing only. I think 71 Demon has 1. I have 1 unicorn Demon, wish I had 2!

As for Carvana. Tell Speedy! He doesn't think they will actually pay out! ;) These prices (pretty much for all cars) are real. Crazy, but real!
Im still fine.

I really drawn to the narrow body RE myself.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Im still fine.

I really drawn to the narrow body RE myself.
I like the narrow body Challenger too...except from the rear angle. Not a fan from that visual perspective. I guess I like wide rear ends, lol

Queue 71 Demon in 3...2...1....