Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2016 m6 transmission case bolts

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
OP
Crsallen

Crsallen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Havre de Grace
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 m6 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #22

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
This is what @16GoManGoHC2 recommended to me. Said the dealer told him this is what they use. He and I have used it with no problems but it’s a little late now since you have the trans back together!

I searched and never found the torque values you’re looking for, so I just tightened them by hand until it felt good.

8B7B6F46-D31E-48C0-9B5C-4A440CED967F.jpeg

OP
Crsallen

Crsallen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Havre de Grace
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #24
Well Bull you could be right. Now after 60 miles 3rd gear is grinding. Mantic says to put more miles on the clutch to break in. I’m thinking every bad possible thing like maybe I should have left the input shaft dry. Also the xmission was over serviced which if fixed. Feel kind of weird skipping 3rd for another 400 miles hoping it would get better. I’m thinking things to do before pulling tranny again is purge fluid and go back to factory or royal purple/amsoil, or maybe the clutch isn’t quite bled. Any ideas? Kind of embarrassing but this is my first time doing this kind of work. To add after reaching out to Mantic they said as long as 1st and reverse works then the clutch is probably fine. Now I’m thinking I should have went a8….

Last edited:
OP
Crsallen

Crsallen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Havre de Grace
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #25
This is what @16GoManGoHC2 recommended to me. Said the dealer told him this is what they use. He and I have used it with no problems but it’s a little late now since you have the trans back together!

I searched and never found the torque values you’re looking for, so I just tightened them by hand until it felt good.
I think if I pull tranny again I’m going with no lube at all. Mantic recommends it to be dry as anything could collect dust and bind
View attachment 78373

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Well Bull you could be right. Now after 60 miles 3rd gear is grinding. Mantic says to put more miles on the clutch to break in. I’m thinking every bad possible thing like maybe I should have left the input shaft dry. Also the xmission was over serviced which if fixed. Feel kind of weird skipping 3rd for another 400 miles hoping it would get better. I’m thinking things to do before pulling tranny again is purge fluid and go back to factory or royal purple/amsoil, or maybe the clutch isn’t quite bled. Any ideas? Kind of embarrassing but this is my first time doing this kind of work. To add after reaching out to Mantic they said as long as 1st and reverse works then the clutch is probably fine. Now I’m thinking I should have went a8….
Did you have any of these issues prior to swapping the clutch out?

When I lubed the input shaft, I cleaned the heck out of it, then wiped the grease on, then basically wiped it all back off. I didn’t clean it off just wiped it with a clean rag and I just left the thinnest of layers on it.

My M6 can be stiff in 2/3/4 until it’s warmed up. Not grinding per se, just notchy going into gear, difficult to explain. I can avoid it if I really take my time shifting slow. However, sometimes it shifts great right out of the garage.

I have never figured it out but I’m not messing with it anymore. Just accepting that’s how this trans is, at least until something breaks haha.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I'm not suggesting that the Krytox was the wrong grease for it qualities, but for its possible side effects and cost.

My first thought (more of a guess really) is that the clutch isn't fully disengaging and causing asynchronous gear speeds for the shifts. There are three discs after all. There's a lot to "catch".

You may be inherently "most out of sync" in speeds for your 3rd gear shift?? (Just by your subconscious style)

Try intentionally changing up your shift speeds and see if if changes any...

Unless it's REALLY grinding, give it a few days?

OP
Crsallen

Crsallen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Havre de Grace
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #28
No issues prior to changing clutch and flywheel. I can drive it just have to skip 3rd. The first 50 miles all gears were fine, I will give it some time to break in a bit and hopefully that helps. Guess I’m going to get really good at r&r’ing my transmission before this evolution is over lol.
It does make sense that one of the discs are hanging up it’s just weird it only happens with 3rd

Last edited:

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
No issues prior to changing clutch and flywheel. I can drive it just have to skip 3rd. The first 50 miles all gears were fine, I will give it some time to break in a bit and hopefully that helps. Guess I’m going to get really good at r&r’ing my transmission before this evolution is over lol.
It does make sense that one of the discs are hanging up it’s just weird it only happens with 3rd
Well I feel like mine does this every once in a while. I think I’ve just learned when I expect it to act up and have changed my shifting habits to accommodate it.

Whatever you find out, please keep us updated!

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Double pump the clutch peddle for your 2 to 3 shift and see if it makes any difference in grinding going into third. Where does the clutch start to grab when letting the pedal out? Near bottom, middle, or top?

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Sub'd I just got the mantic triple. May be few weeks before install...

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Finally weighed my Mantic triple, here’s its weight and the weights of a stock unit and a Mcleod RXT1200HD on a Ram Alum flywheel.
Here’s the Mantic and it’s flywheel
4633C719-A0B5-443A-A3F7-999E447BF1CF.jpeg DDC8ADB9-4B42-4974-BB5A-409D4D3DDD38.jpeg
Here’s weights on the stock unit and McLeod.
Stock clutch (38.44 lbs) and flywheel (23.50 lbs) = 61.94 lbs for the assembly
McLeod clutch assy (40.78 lbs) and Ram Flywheel (19.24 lbs) = 60.02 lbs for the assembly
Mantic clutch (31.82lbs) and Mantic Flywheel (11.62 lbs)= 43.44

So the Mantic assy is 18.5 lbs lighter then stock and 17.38 lbs lighter then the McLeod/Ram combo. Along with the Mantic clutch Assembly being about 4” in diameter smaller then where the weight is in the stock and McLeod setup and 18 lbs avg lighter then both should greater reduce MOI for quicker spool up and be easier on synchros in high rpm shifting by letting engine rpm drop off quicker off throttle. Unfortunately I won’t be changing my clutch out until my RXT1200HD gives up it’s ghost which may be a long while as it’s been doing fine so far.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
~18lbs is a lot...

Maybe worth the effort...

:unsure:

OP
Crsallen

Crsallen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Havre de Grace
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #34
It’s been a long time I know but finally got this fixed. My 1st - 3rd synchros were bad. I gave it to Rockford standard and they changed the synchros and the gear ratio to 2.66 in first.
A little difficult to see in the pictures but that’s two of the synchro rings there, I should have it finished by tomorrow…..drove about 7 hr turnaround to NY today as I dropped it off rather than ship it.
Running RSG tranzilla synchromesh this time which they recommended. Looking forward to seeing the difference, and being able to shift the damn thing into third lol.

Attachments

Last edited: