Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Wireless Surround Sound

Taxinator

Member ID
Reactions
City
SANTA CLARITA
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT
There is something to be said about convenience and not messing with routing wires...and then all the time to dial in the system. All that really matters is your satisfaction with the sound and the wife's acceptance of the various units around the room/house. :)

DGatzby

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Ok, another update:

I just ordered the Sonos ARC to replace the original Sonos Beam I bought today. The ARC is twice as much $.

The beam is really good but I just need a bigger speaker for this room.

Should have the new speaker on Tuesday, will update. So far very impressed with the surround sound of the system. The sub works great and the ones work great as surrounds.

If you don't want to mess with wires and a receiver/amp, this is a no brainer. Very good.
You will love it. It was simply unbelievable that all the sound I heard was coming out of that one bar.

MJS73

Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
I've thought about wireless speakers before, but could never convince myself that there wouldn't be a processing delay that would be problematic.

(And at least historically, was an issue with reviewers of such things)
And you'd be right.

Jack_Toepfer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
If they have any sort of room correction software, they can tune the delays.
Start with the furthest speaker set to 0 delay. For every other speaker add ~1ms delay per foot that it is closer to you. Once the speakers are all firing at the correct time (not the same time) you can figure out what sort of delay you need for the video on the screen, otherwise everything will look dubbed.
Consider that the furthest speaker that makes the first noise has a ~”x”ms delay before that sound gets to you. The video image will have a 0ms delay getting to you. This gets more noticeable when speakers are further away (for obvious reasons). It may not seem like much, because the speed of sound is pretty quick, but your brain is quicker.

OP
A

AeroF16

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #25
So I hooked up the ARC today. Really happy with the amount of sound it fills the room with. The Beam sound was really good but the speaker was just too small for the room I had it in.

The surround sound is very good. Turns out my TV will pass Dolby Atmos in the form of Dolby Digital 5.1+, which from what I understand is Atmos but somehow scaled down. Difficult to find, or even figure out, if the content you're watching is recorded in Atmos or not.

There are a bunch of options between my TV and the Sonos speakers for delays and what not but, right out of the box, I'm very happy with it and don't notice any syncing issues.

Only complaint so far is playing music. If I use the Spotify App (or any App for that matter) on my TV, Sonos wants to treat my speakers as a surround sound system. So, instead of playing music from apps on the TV, I turn the TV off and play music from my phone and then each speaker is treat like and individual speaker.

Jack_Toepfer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Can you change the tv to multi-ch stereo for music?

Otherwise it sounds like you have a good setup goin there.