Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Whats your worst wrenching mistake?

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
Fess up.
And no, Hickster. This is not about women. That's a wench. 😁

Did it cost extra to fix or just more time? Which for some is worth more than money.

Mine wasn't all that bad. Over torqued bolt on my new C6 Z06 sway bars during install on C5. Broke it off. Had to drill/tap it out and get another bolt. Not a money expense but time AND completely under car while under 4 jack stands and 2 floor jacks. Ugh 😠

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Putting high-compression pistons in my '88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe

:oops::sneaky:

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Breaking torque (bolt on power steering) on 71 charger.
Car had the old flex blade (that had a torn blade) on water pump.
Arm slipped, wrist hit the torn blade, sliced my wrist wide open. Needed inner and outer stitches.
FYI:
Was at work at a service station (the only one there/working).
Wrapped my wrist, closed up the station, and walked 1/4 mile to hospital (was luckily just up the road).

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
NEVER tell a shop what’s wrong with your car. I told them my front bearing was going so they put on a new rotor for me. Wasn’t the rotor/bearing, it was the frikin tire making noise.

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
This is a tough one....I've made several mistakes. The ones that come to mind off-hand:
- Forgot to tighten the slip collar on a MSD distributor. Kept having to reset the timing and couldn't figure out why. Lucky I didn't create a bigger problem with that one
- Finished a small block and dropped it in the car. When I went to drop the distributor I noticed that I forgot to install the oil pump drive. Pan couldn't come off with the engine in the car.
- Not exactly a wrenching problem, but I made the mistake of asking a friend to fill the tank directly before a hot lap session. Someone had mistakenly loaded a jug of methanol in the trailer (fuel used in a different car) instead of the jugs of VP Late Model Plus and the friend didn't know any different when he topped of the tank. The pistons didn't like that at all. Made a ton of power for about 2 laps lol
- I had a driveshaft failure at the track. There was no way to get another one in time, so I ran back to the shop (15 minutes away) and used the chop saw to cut down a longer one we had for a different car. Realized the MIG welder was out of wire so I brazed it together with an acetylene torch and a wire coat hanger. It held together, but the damn thing vibrated so bad it cracked the tail shaft housing on the Brinn. Finished the race, but the trans was junk.

I know there's more, if I remember I'll post em up.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Oh, the list is long, but what comes to mind now isn't all bad.

I'd bought an engine that was supposedly rebuilt. Yeah, right. So I took it apart, checked bearing clearances and such...sure enough, it was perfect.
Now I had to get all new gaskets, which I really couldn't afford.

B5Cat16

Member ID
Reactions
City
S
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
When I was 18, I replaced the gas tank and fuel pick up in my 68 Barracuda. When I installed the fuel pickup in the tank I forgot to put the rubber seal. I put the lock ring and thought I was done. I filled the tank and brought the car back home. Roughly 10 gallons of gasoline leaked all over the garage floor. Needless to say my father was PISSED!!!! The smell in the house was unbearable. :oops:

Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Had to replace a stripped intake manifold carb stud on a "72 cutlass , pulled the carb off and of course didn't stuff a towel in the intake opening as I should have and during removal of the stud I dropped a nut into the intake. Now this was the days before those little inspection cameras so I took my shop vac and duct taped smaller and smaller rubber hoses together and went down each port with the vacuum on, amazingly i was
able to get the sucker out

OP
Purerock105

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
Thread Starter #9
In a related sense I remember wrenching as a late teen in the late 80's and the clock was my worst enemy. Whatever we were working on had to be finished up by Sunday nite, because I've got to drive this thing to work Monday at 8am.😳

And back in those days in my little small town, the only auto parts store closed at 6p on Sunday. So, quite often it was running "good enough" to get you to work and back home. Good times. 😂

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Whatever we were working on had to be finished up by Sunday nite, because I've got to drive this thing to work Monday at 8am.😳
That reminds me of a somewhat similar scenario. Started changing the diff and gears in my Jeep's Dana 44 after work, which was 5 PM.
By about 2 AM I finally realized that the book I was using as a guide for contact patterns was wrong.

Luckily I had taken notes of the shims used for the first attempt, so I could "start from scratch".
Got it done in time for opening hour, barely, but might have worn out the shop's press and bearing puller in the process.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
When I put the big block in my first Cuda, I didn't have the torque converter seated all the way in. I don't know how I screwed that up, it felt like it went all the way in and when we mated the trans up, the flex plate bolts lined right up. We got everything hooked up and fired the engine up for the cam break-in. As soon as the engine fired up, the unmistakable sound of the converter shearing off the front pump ears filled the air. I knew that sound because a friend of mine had done it the previous summer on his Cuda. I think there must've been something evil in those Cudas.

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
When I put the big block in my first Cuda, I didn't have the torque converter seated all the way in. I don't know how I screwed that up, it felt like it went all the way in and when we mated the trans up, the flex plate bolts lined right up. We got everything hooked up and fired the engine up for the cam break-in. As soon as the engine fired up, the unmistakable sound of the converter shearing off the front pump ears filled the air. I knew that sound because a friend of mine had done it the previous summer on his Cuda. I think there must've been something evil in those Cudas.
Used to always have issues trying to seat the Torque Converter on my older Challengers.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Putting high-compression pistons in my '88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe

:oops::sneaky:
The only wrench involved was a 3/8 open end....replaced a battery in my 06 viper this past spring...simple 20 min process took almost 2 days...after installing the battery...it took a day and a half to get it to run...every connection..every fuse..every wire..was checked..double checked..triple checked..and checked again....no power...finally gave up and went for coffee and a cigar...only to come home an hour later to a running viper with my wife in the drivers seat...astonished and bewildered..i asked WTF did you do...(I never swear in her presence )...she said I got in turned the key...hit the start button...and it started...to which I said what key???...yup my HC/Demon don't use a key.....I PROUDLY WEAR THE TITLE KING OF ALL IDIOTS.. the story was told in detail on the old forum

Last edited by a moderator:

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Um... had to give this some hard thought. But upon deep reflection of over 20 years of spinning wrenches I have to settle on this one:

Back in the early 2000s my brother, friends, and I finally got my Buick Turbo T running (built one car out of two). And as the story goes just before the first test drive the ignition fell out of sync. So we fixed it. Just before the first test drive for the second time the battery was flat. Swapped the battery. Just before the first test drive for the third time the exhaust broke and fell off the car. So we rigged it up. Four of us hopped in the car (unplated (borrowed them off my MCSS) and uninsured) and went for a late-night test drive. At about 80km/h down a four lane divided city street I saw the driver's side front wheel hop up and pass me. The car slammed down into the road creating a tall shower of sparks up the side of the car - with a collective "OH SHIT!" inside the car. We spent a good deal of time looking for the wheel (which thankfully didn't hit anyone) and running back to the house to grab a jack, wheel, and some lug nuts. We had to force the rotor through the pads to free it up. Amazingly a cop never showed up either.

Those were definitely signs from the car Gods not to drive the car.

By the next morning we had a fresh rotor on the car, changed out all four wheels, and drove the car to a car show with an open downpipe - still uninsured and unplated. Kids... they never learn. But, we had no more incidents.

Oh, as a bonus we developed a motto for whenever a project leaves the garage: Torque the lug nuts... Torque the lug nuts... Torque the lug nuts... This reminder recently got immortalized on Motion Raceworks magnetic safety check list because my brother had put it there when his friend (who runs the printing shop that produces them) asked him to review the draft.

So the next time you torque your lugs, think of me:
https://www.motionraceworks.com/products/motion-safety-checklist-magnet-dry-erase

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Sorry , I got nothing , I'm a pretty good mechanic , the rest of yall need to tighten up ! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Sorry , I got nothing , I'm a pretty good mechanic , the rest of yall need to tighten up ! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

We don't have an appropriate response tag for this post...

:p

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
We don't have an appropriate response tag for this post...

:p
That's ok , we know what your thinking. :censored:

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Arm slipped, wrist hit the torn blade, sliced my wrist wide open. Needed inner and outer stitches.
FYI:
Wrapped my wrist, closed up the station, and walked 1/4 mile to hospital (was luckily just up the road).
Ouch !

NYCSRTATE

Member ID
Reactions
City
NYC
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Charger Hellcat
Nothing to bad here.

Removed the intake on my 06 Jeep SRT to install intake spacers, while reinstalling the intake I over tightened an intake bolt and stripped the threads on the head.

Had to remove the intake and heli-coil the head.

A lot of cursing on in reinstall.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
FYI:
Ok.....I'll admit.....I'm a dick. When I read this, there was some initial concern...but then I started laughing because it made me think about the Black Knight from Monty Python....tis but a flesh wound......sorry......I'll say some extra hail mary's or something later :)