Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Tow package?

Jerm21

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Member ID
Reactions
City
Cabot
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 SRT
Sorry, I know 100% this has to have been posted a million times, I spent an hour looking and cannot find a specific answer:

I have the opportunity to buy a used 2019 Durango SRT, a vehicle Iv always wanted, but didn't think Id ever be able to afford. This one is absolutely perfect, but does not have the actual towing package (no hitch). It does have the brake assist controls on the steering wheel, tow mode etc. The guy selling it said he'll install a Mopar hitch and 7 pin, and that all SRTs essentially have the other equipment already installed. Is this true? I even tried calling the SRT help line and they didn't "know".

Id appreciate any help. The only reason the wife is on board is we need a vehicle to tow a pontoon boat, and she will kill me if I buy this an find out its not equipped properly lol!

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Sorry, I know 100% this has to have been posted a million times, I spent an hour looking and cannot find a specific answer:

I have the opportunity to buy a used 2019 Durango SRT, a vehicle Iv always wanted, but didn't think Id ever be able to afford. This one is absolutely perfect, but does not have the actual towing package (no hitch). It does have the brake assist controls on the steering wheel, tow mode etc. The guy selling it said he'll install a Mopar hitch and 7 pin, and that all SRTs essentially have the other equipment already installed. Is this true? I even tried calling the SRT help line and they didn't "know".

Id appreciate any help. The only reason the wife is on board is we need a vehicle to tow a pontoon boat, and she will kill me if I buy this an find out its not equipped properly lol!
I would only be concerned about it having a transmission cooler and a limited slip rear. The absence of the limited slip would be my deal breaker.

OP
J

Jerm21

Member ID
Reactions
City
Cabot
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 SRT
Thread Starter #3
I would only be concerned about it having a transmission cooler and a limited slip rear. The absence of the limited slip would be my deal breaker.
Thank you for the reply: According the build sheet, It has the following equipment that leads me to think Id be ok:
- Trailer Sway Dampening
- Elec LTD Slip Rear Diff
- 3.70 rear axle ratio ( I believe all SRTs have this)
- Heavy duty engine cooling / oil cooler (does not list. trans cooler)

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thank you for the reply: According the build sheet, It has the following equipment that leads me to think Id be ok:
- Trailer Sway Dampening
- Elec LTD Slip Rear Diff
- 3.70 rear axle ratio ( I believe all SRTs have this)
- Heavy duty engine cooling / oil cooler (does not list. trans cooler)
If it doesn't have a transmission cooler it's pretty easy to install. How much does the rig weigh?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

If I understand the question, this came up once before on the forum. A member wanted to install the hitch after the fact and supposedly, the harness did not exist to enable simply adding the 7-pin connector.

That's not to say that it couldn't be done, but the claim was that it was not plug-n-play into an existing connector.

We have a DSRT, however at the moment the wife has it out and about. I could look underneath at some point and try to determine if the connector that the 7-pin would attach to is obvious or not.

OP
J

Jerm21

Member ID
Reactions
City
Cabot
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 SRT
Thread Starter #6
If it doesn't have a transmission cooler it's pretty easy to install. How much does the rig weigh?
About 6,000 pounds total

OP
J

Jerm21

Member ID
Reactions
City
Cabot
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 SRT
Thread Starter #7
If I understand the question, this came up once before on the forum. A member wanted to install the hitch after the fact and supposedly, the harness did not exist to enable simply adding the 7-pin connector.

That's not to say that it couldn't be done, but the claim was that it was not plug-n-play into an existing connector.

We have a DSRT, however at the moment the wife has it out and about. I could look underneath at some point and try to determine if the connector that the 7-pin would attach to is obvious or not.
Thank you!

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
Also be aware the factory tow package came with factory installed/integrated trailer brake control, starting in MY 19 (I think). Mine has it.

OP
J

Jerm21

Member ID
Reactions
City
Cabot
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 SRT
Thread Starter #9
Also be aware the factory tow package came with factory installed/integrated trailer brake control, starting in MY 19 (I think). Mine has it.
Thank you for your reply.

Is this the 3 "buttons" on the bottom right of the steering wheel? This truck has those, I have noticed some others don't.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
About 6,000 pounds total
Somewhere on their website you can check the vehicles towing capacity by entering the vin. I checked my Ram 1500 on there.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thank you for your reply.

Is this the 3 "buttons" on the bottom right of the steering wheel? This truck has those, I have noticed some others don't.

No, this is an actual trailer brake manual override on the dash, when she gets back I'll get a picture of it if someone else doesn't show it first

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
- Trailer Sway Dampening
Not sure why you'd want your trailer, or its sway, to be damp. Damping is a good thing, though.

Anyway, people pull somewhat heavy loads with what I consider inadequate tow vehicles all the time, and get away with it.

Personally, 2,000 lbs. is about what I'd pull with a Ram 1500, if I had no other choice.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Not sure why you'd want your trailer, or its sway, to be damp. Damping is a good thing, though.

Anyway, people pull somewhat heavy loads with what I consider inadequate tow vehicles all the time, and get away with it.

Personally, 2,000 lbs. is about what I'd pull with a Ram 1500, if I had no other choice.
2000 lbs? Mine was rated for 10,800 lbs. It did a great job with this setup. I traded when I went with an enclosed trailer.
20200713_184930.jpg

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

^^^ This !!

In older models, all the wiring was in place & tucked behind the bumper. All you had to do was replace the hitch cover on the bumper, add the hitch & some relays, get the BCM flashed by the dealer (so it recognizes the harness) and you were in business. They stopped doing the wiring in '19 or '20 as I recall.

Also, if you add the hitch aftermarket (even if you use all MOPAR parts) the tow rating is less than if the vehicle came factory equiped. Not sure why that is & it doesn't make a lot of sense (been hotly debated on the Durango fourms), but that's Dodge's 'official' position.

Not sure what controls you are referring to on the steering wheel, the OE built in controller is mounted on the dash below the start button !

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
2000 lbs? Mine was rated for 10,800 lbs. It did a great job with this setup. I traded when I went with an enclosed trailer.
Sorry, but I don't care what the J2807 ratings are. A 1500 is still too light and has small brakes. I wouldn't want to tow that setup with a diesel crew cab 2500, at least not one with the idiotic 3.42 gears they used for years.

If that setup was great, you may want to try a 3500 with duals. But you already used "great" so it may become a matter of having run out of superlatives.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Sorry, but I don't care what the J2807 ratings are. A 1500 is still too light and has small brakes. I wouldn't want to tow that setup with a diesel crew cab 2500, at least not one with the idiotic 3.42 gears they used for years.

If that setup was great, you may want to try a 3500 with duals. But you already used "great" so it may become a matter of having run out of superlatives.
I have a 2500 now. It does an amazing job pulling the 28' enclosed trailer. This ain't my 1st rodeo.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Well, have to admit that I sold my real tow vehicle and now all I have is the 3500.

It's okay for up to pulling 25,000, and obviously anything below that, and I really don't understand why 2500s even exist. That 10K GVWR and spongy rear suspension really hurts them, and for what...a $1,000 price difference?

But don't get me wrong. I'd take a 2500 over a car with a bed on it (a 1500) any day. Hundreds of thousands of towing miles has taught even a dummy like myself a few things.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
View attachment 76890
By now you know what my preference is. And not only do I have a significant tow vehicle advantage...there are fewer doors to drag around on the trailer. DSCN4478[1].JPG
Is it overkill to pull a single car with a 3500? Maybe. But I don't mind the extra safety margin one bit.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
By now you know what my preference is. And not only do I have a significant tow vehicle advantage...there are fewer doors to drag around on the trailer. View attachment 77031
Is it overkill to pull a single car with a 3500? Maybe. But I don't mind the extra safety margin one bit.
It depends on how you are going to use it. Mine is used for a daily driver and hauling the car and trailer. A dually would be a tough fit in my garage. It does a great job. The trailer is all aluminum for a significant weight savings.
20220111_152616.jpg

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
In my case, the only thing the 3500 is used for is towing. Had a nice little aluminum gooseneck flatbed when all I had was a 2500, but the stuff I tow has kept getting heavier.

As you can imagine, the 38-foot (aluminum) toy hauler in the background is pretty much DRW only as it puts well over 4,000 lbs. on the coupler, as does the 32-foot flatbed behind it.

Sounds like you need a larger garage - and a nice 2-door for a daily driver.