Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Thinking of an E.V. truck for towing?...think again

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
This vid. shows how useless an E.V. truck is for towing/work. Seals the deal for me to stay ICE...

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I know someone that can test this himself:unsure:

They should of brought a can of electricity to pour in so they could go further:)

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Laughably limited range, l-o-n-g (and boring as hell) recharge wait times and charging stations that are not really set-up for a vehicle towing anything ......

koolaid.jpg

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Notice he had to pull into charge. Think that would make a lot of stations unusable with a big trailer

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I know someone that can test this himself:unsure:

They should of brought a can of electricity to pour in so they could go further:)
A bucket full of these should do the trick

9 volt.jpg

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
EV are a F-ing joke! Nothing but a BS political ploy of the Commies

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Diesel all the way!!!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I watched about 2/3rds of it.

Exactly the outcome I would expect.

Imagine being complacent and being stuck in between 40 miles of charging.

Did they say how long to recharge that particular truck at that station?

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I watched about 2/3rds of it.

Exactly the outcome I would expect.

Imagine being complacent and being stuck in between 40 miles of charging.

Did they say how long to recharge that particular truck at that station?
I think it took 45 mins to get up to 75%?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I think it took 45 mins to get up to 75%?

So an hour-ish to 100%, which in that circumstance, you would need.

Of course, what is the consequence of rapid charging your battery followed by high amp draw?

Rinse, repeat, ruin.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Looks like I'll be going on a 1,100 mile trip soon, towing a Challenger. Total weight should be a bit under 20,000 lbs., but wind resistance won;t be all that bad with a flatbed gooseneck and a car on it.

Similar weight for the return trip. I figure it'll take me about 15 hours each way, with one stop for fuel.

Anybody care to calculate how long these trips would take with an E.V.?

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
So an hour-ish to 100%, which in that circumstance, you would need.

Of course, what is the consequence of rapid charging your battery followed by high amp draw?

Rinse, repeat, ruin.

Not totally sure, but I recall reading all these EV's charge slower & slower the closer you get to 100%.

Agree with the rapid charge/fast drain being an issue for any battery !
Add on an environmental factor (cold or hot out) and I suspect it would significantly shorten the life.

But hey, no problem-o the green dude deal tards have all that battery recycling/replacement stuff all figured out - right ? :unsure::whistle:

They should adopt this for their theme song ...................

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
CC just did this test with his lightning. MD to TN down with the truck, TN to MD pulling 2 MC in his enclosed trailer. didnt go well. He posted the vids. Pretty eye opening

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
It's worth watching his vids just to see all the crap his daughter gives him :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Did anyone think this EV stuff was going to go smooth and reasonably priced due to all the governments of the world directing change?

Research the cost of the dirt bag shit Lithium that is used in these batteries. What was $10,000 a metric ton in January (yes, January of this year) in April it was $78,000 and in June it was $62,000; "with more extreme price hikes on the way". We will create another post or thread to discuss what it takes to harvest that shit. We will create another post or thread to discuss what it takes to recycle and/or dispose of that shit after 5-7 years of use also.

@ChargerChallenger those EV vehicles you own are going to bring a fortune in used car prices very soon! You won't be able to charge them when the grid dies, but someone may buy them from you because a handy personal generator running on gasoline or natural gas (the price of natural gas is cratering now) will be able to charge that stuff! I have my little personal generator ready to power my home and recharge all the small batteries I own.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
A bucket full of these should do the trick

View attachment 74916
We all know cats have 9 lives, because you only get so many recharges before needs new batt. Hope they Don’t Dare use the cat name on Full electric cars

Last edited:

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Did anyone think this EV stuff was going to go smooth and reasonably priced due to all the governments of the world directing change?

Research the cost of the dirt bag shit Lithium that is used in these batteries. What was $10,000 a metric ton in January (yes, January of this year) in April it was $78,000 and in June it was $62,000; "with more extreme price hikes on the way". We will create another post or thread to discuss what it takes to harvest that shit. We will create another post or thread to discuss what it takes to recycle and/or dispose of that shit after 5-7 years of use also.

@ChargerChallenger those EV vehicles you own are going to bring a fortune in used car prices very soon! You won't be able to charge them when the grid dies, but someone may buy them from you because a handy personal generator running on gasoline or natural gas (the price of natural gas is cratering now) will be able to charge that stuff! I have my little personal generator ready to power my home and recharge all the small batteries I own.
Your right Gatz. last years Total US power production by source energy breaks down to about the following depending source data, but are all relatively close. Listed are the 4 sources starting with the largest.

1) Natural Gas. 38.3 % Thank god I am in this trade of work currently.

2) Coal 21.8 %

3) Nuclear 18.9 %

4) Renewables 20.1%. Hydroelectric and non Hydroelectric combined.

5) Petroleum 0.9 %

As you can see The largest percent of power generation in America comes from Pipeline Natural Gas. To support an ever increasing demand for power, especially with EV on the rise ( BEING RAMED DOWN OUR THROATS) this power must come from some where just as the power distribution network is already stressed the Natural Gas Transmission pipeline system is also stressed. Some areas more so than others with lots of people and special interest lobby groups shouting no new Pipelines. Lots of ill informed Ass Hats actually saying no more pipelines or improvements (it doesn’t effect me I don’t have Nat-Gas) not not knowing it directly effects them as they are spewing the verbiage even while not at their home and while at work. All because that Frissbee spinning inside that clear electric meter is tabulating kW/Hr it doesn’t know it’s source only the usage. Occasionally I will engage folks on energy source and usage if approached or a level headed discussion is there. But will not ever debate the folks that say it doesn’t effect them, if you have electricity it effects you. Even if the source power is from a Nuke plant 20 miles away, it effects that end user because the rates of all source electricity drives each other price in the market some way. With Natural Gas @ 38 % and EV being forced on us I suggest the power distribution system and Natural Gas Transmission system be reviewed as a whole.

One ironic paradox with the relationship between Electricity and Natural Gas is the raw fact you can make electricity from Natural Gas but you can’t make natural Gas from Electricity At least not that I am aware of even a small scale.This country needs to take head out of ass and stop fast tracking, pushing EV so much. If so hellbent on EV at least do it in a phased step approach, pause evaluate, decide if result is logical based on data, not acquired by a special interest lobby group feeding Washington what they think they would like to hear.

Last edited:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
^^^absolutely correct.

The big numbers have interesting things happening in natural gas the last couple of weeks.

74C901AD-6A34-4FAE-934C-16301375EB34.jpeg Also the folks in Europe have decided that their coal plants can’t go away yet, and the dumb asses in CA did wake up and now want Federal funding (yes, they want us non-residents who absolutely disagree with everything that comes out of that state) to pay them to keep Diablo Canyon open past 2025.

Why? CA and NE have similar problems and it will get worse with more solar penetration. This slide is a bit technical for most, but those shapes that look like an outline of a duck, (net loads and costs) are very important…

68A624D0-E189-4988-99F1-1B29FBC89B1B.jpeg
I was sitting with one of the dudes who runs CALISO two weeks ago. They need to do something different to even come close to any set goals out there. More EV’s plugged in at 6pm is exactly what they don’t want, but can’t dare share that with anyone.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI