Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

The "Air Grabber Hood" is eating the paint. Demon owners File Class action Law Suit.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
OP
Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
I'm sure Covid delayed the law suit!
We saw the threats posted!;)

Linda :)

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I think it's a bit childish.
Just driving the car on the road you will get stone chips and other blemishes. Racing the car really puts a lot of stress on the car and twists the body a little bit each time . Can't people just ne happy they were able to get a limit addition, once in a lifetime car??

My $0.02

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
I think it's a bit childish.
Just driving the car on the road you will get stone chips and other blemishes. Racing the car really puts a lot of stress on the car and twists the body a little bit each time . Can't people just ne happy they were able to get a limit addition, once in a lifetime car??

My $0.02

Idk, im on the fence with that. I mean yeah crap happens but at the same time from what im understanding it’s not the flexing of the hood from racing. It’s the heat actually deforming the shape of the insert (I may be wrong). Whatever the actual defect many complaints are from people who dont race, just driving them a few miles can do it.
So i can see their frustration. Not sure i’d bring a lawsuit against them though.

Last edited:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Idk, im on the fence with that. I mean yeah crap happens but at the same time when crap happens but from what im understanding it’s not the flexing of the hood from racing. It’s the heat actually deforming the shape of the insert (I may be wrong). Whatever the actual defect many complaints are from people who dont race, just driving them a few miles can do it.
So i can see their frustration. Not sure i’d bring a lawsuit against them though.
The original design was really bad with warping and drooping . FCA came out with a better insert but still "floats" in there for expansion . Here is the dilemma, if the scoop insert doesn't " float ' it will crack or do other damage over time .
Also just driving the car over big bumps like speed bumps will make the cars body flex . So you are damned of you do and damned if you don't. All I'm really saying is a class action law suit is a bit over the top . But I also think that people that suit for trivial things have " issues" I will call it .

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Wonder why they didn't do something like a foam backing so the insert could 'float' in the opening ?
Guess I'd be pissed too if my 100k+ car had chipped paint due to a manufacturer defect !

Member ID
Reactions
City
Burnsville
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
So the price of new cars will just go up to pay for this lawsuit - oh well, it will be a limited lawsuit. Only 3300 potential plaintiffs. Unless the owner of the car, family members and any other person that has ever ridden in the car suffers some form of emotional distress, sleepless nights, therapy sessions, nightmares, anxiety, loss of work, gambling debts, etc for the pain and suffering they have endured. It`s TSR time!

MurderCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Whipple Hellcat (Sold) 22 GMC 2500HD Denali
Hellcat owners should go after FCA for the improper design of 2015-2020 hoods. The steel latches/aluminum hoods are not treated properly causing a galvanic corrosion reaction on brand new cars right off the lot. You can sand and paint over but it's just a temporary fix the Dealer may do if under warranty or its on your dime. The hoods are corroding from the inside out due to a major design flaw. If not addressed it will end up looking like this around 50k miles or well after warranty is up in most cases.

Hellcat @ 600 miles after purchase.
d.webp (1920×1440) - Google Chrome 10_2_2020 10_02_39 AM (2).png

https://www.lxforums.com/board/charger-discussion-3rd-gen-2015-/386958-corrosion-hood.html
ea19c55e2ce5925560dfaa7b618bb313.jpg

13ef0acf12cac9b3fdfac8218ac3fc7b.jpg

The R35 GTR and many other modern cars have aluminum hoods/steel latches, never had an issue with others as they were treated properly. Dodge did a terrible job on these hoods, only fix is fiberglass or a carbon replacement unless they engineer a new one from the ground up.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Buy some touch up paint and call it a day. I saw the pics of the Demons and nothing to me to file a lawsuit. If it bothers some owners so much, I will take your car and use it for what it was intended for

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Hellcat owners should go after FCA for the improper design of 2015-2020 hoods. The steel latches/aluminum hoods are not treated properly causing a galvanic corrosion reaction on brand new cars right off the lot. You can sand and paint over but it's just a temporary fix the Dealer may do if under warranty or its on your dime. The hoods are corroding from the inside out due to a major design flaw. If not addressed it will end up looking like this around 50k miles or well after warranty is up in most cases.

View attachment 25831

https://www.lxforums.com/board/charger-discussion-3rd-gen-2015-/386958-corrosion-hood.html
View attachment 25833

View attachment 25832

The R35 GTR and many other modern cars have aluminum hoods/steel latches, never had an issue with others as they were treated properly. Dodge did a terrible job on these hoods, only fix is fiberglass or a carbon replacement unless they engineer a new one from the ground up.
Now this a little different. I know one Hellcat owner that the dealer replaced his hood. My Daytona was starting to show some wear and it seems far worse to me that if it fails your hood will fly up

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye

View attachment 25831

View attachment 25833

View attachment 25832

Replace the latch with stainless steel.

MurderCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Whipple Hellcat (Sold) 22 GMC 2500HD Denali
Now this a little different. I know one Hellcat owner that the dealer replaced his hood. My Daytona was starting to show some wear and it seems far worse to me that if it fails your hood will fly up
Yea a few have been replaced at Dealers. If one flys up causing an accident there will very likely be a recall of some sort. Matter of time really but based on the corrosion rate will happen well after warranty (10+ years) It's a trouble spot to watch out for.
Replace the latch with stainless steel.
You can clean it up and replace the latch with stainless but it's really a temporary fix as the hood corrodes from inside. The surrounding plate/holes will rust. Only a matter of time. Car could be spotless of rain/salt and still will happen.

My fix will be a carbon replacement. Will be set for a lifetime.

Taxinator

Member ID
Reactions
City
SANTA CLARITA
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT
Wonder why they didn't do something like a foam backing so the insert could 'float' in the opening ?
Guess I'd be pissed too if my 100k+ car had chipped paint due to a manufacturer defect !
Or some paint protection film for the insert area. This way the insert rubs the film when it expands with heat. May need to replace the film every few years depending on wear.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I guess I feel really lucky to have 5 year 47K mile HC that is in excellent shape. Mine's really been good to me. I consider this issue minor but I can understand how it would drive some people nuts

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
it's really a temporary fix as the hood corrodes from inside.
These new hoods are aluminum. I would think once the latch was replaced with stainless it should be good.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County