Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Tesla's New "Self-Driving" Subscription Scheme

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
I like their idea of offering extras for cars.

I would like to see a similar model for car manufacturers, instead of having to search dealer lots for the options you want the only options a car has is color, interior and wheels.

You want adaptive cruise control? Ok $50/mo

You want adaptive cruise but you can't find the color you want that doesn't have ridiculous options in it for thousands of extras? Cool just Don't opt to pay the monthly fee for the extras.

Obviously this will raise prices but how many of you are actually driving base cars and how many of you actually ordered it versus buying off lot.

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
I like their idea of offering extras for cars.

I would like to see a similar model for car manufacturers, instead of having to search dealer lots for the options you want the only options a car has is color, interior and wheels.

You want adaptive cruise control? Ok $50/mo

You want adaptive cruise but you can't find the color you want that doesn't have ridiculous options in it for thousands of extras? Cool just Don't opt to pay the monthly fee for the extras.

Obviously this will raise prices but how many of you are actually driving base cars and how many of you actually ordered it versus buying off lot.

Charging a monthly fee for items that are already physically present and doesn't require a radio/data connection in a car is beyond stupid. Tesla was caught removing already paid for features on pre-owned vehicles. Imagine buying a used (insert make/model here) with adaptive (or full auto) cruise on it, but you have to pay for the feature AGAIN after the original owner already did. Ridiculous. BMW wanted to charge a yearly fee for Apple Carplay for Christ sakes. Customers bitched, and they reversed course. Subscription for XM radio, Guardian, or SOS that requires data/radio connection? Fine. Fuck all this subscription model bullshit for stuff that shouldn't require such a thing.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/03/23/tesla-removing-content-from-used-cars/

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...ee-to-use-apple-carplay-on-its-pricey-bimmers

(Sorry, but 'subscribing' to every little thing these days is a pet peeve of mine, lol)

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat

Charging a monthly fee for items that are already physically present and doesn't require a radio/data connection in a car is beyond stupid. Tesla was caught removing already paid for features on pre-owned vehicles. Imagine buying a used (insert make/model here) with adaptive (or full auto) cruise on it, but you have to pay for the feature AGAIN after the original owner already did. Ridiculous. BMW wanted to charge a yearly fee for Apple Carplay for Christ sakes. Customers bitched, and they reversed course. Subscription for XM radio, Guardian, or SOS that requires data/radio connection? Fine. Fuck all this subscription model bullshit for stuff that shouldn't require such a thing.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/03/23/tesla-removing-content-from-used-cars/

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...ee-to-use-apple-carplay-on-its-pricey-bimmers

(Sorry, but 'subscribing' to every little thing these days is a pet peeve of mine, lol)
While some things shouldn't be charged for this car shortage is causing nightmares for people looking for specific options.

The idea is to charge less for the hardware and to gain that money back after X amount of years.

So for certain tech I think it works, imagine if dodge had brains to include navigation for every hellcat without raising the price and collecting $10/mo if you opt in.

Most of us wouldn't opt in but I'm sure there are some who only hold onto the cars for a few years that wouldn't mind paying $360 over the course of a lease versus having a $1000 option that leaves you paying $700-$800 over 3 years. Obviously the longer you hold the car the less it makes sense.

Then there is the whole argument of drastically increasing prices and making stuff optional.

Dodge is notorious for this on the power convenience group.

Like everything else there's pros and cons.

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
While some things shouldn't be charged for this car shortage is causing nightmares for people looking for specific options.

The idea is to charge less for the hardware and to gain that money back after X amount of years.

So for certain tech I think it works, imagine if dodge had brains to include navigation for every hellcat without raising the price and collecting $10/mo if you opt in.

Most of us wouldn't opt in but I'm sure there are some who only hold onto the cars for a few years that wouldn't mind paying $360 over the course of a lease versus having a $1000 option that leaves you paying $700-$800 over 3 years. Obviously the longer you hold the car the less it makes sense.

Then there is the whole argument of drastically increasing prices and making stuff optional.

Dodge is notorious for this on the power convenience group.

Like everything else there's pros and cons.
I mean... For '15-'16 you could pretty much do exactly that. $795 to 'unlock' nav on non-nav cars. I'll bet they didn't have a lot of takers, thus the newer cars with Android Auto/Carplay got rid of that. But also do any cars with AA/CP really need it?

I understand what you're saying. Unfortunately, companies have always erred on the side of more $$$, therefore the consumer will never see the 'charging less for hardware' side of the equation. They'll just charge higher prices for a 'basic' car and even more to activate the hardware already present in the vehicle.

On the other hand.... far better opportunities to 'hack' fun new features into your car post-sale! 😁

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
I mean... For '15-'16 you could pretty much do exactly that. $795 to 'unlock' nav on non-nav cars. I'll bet they didn't have a lot of takers, thus the newer cars with Android Auto/Carplay got rid of that. But also do any cars with AA/CP really need it?

I understand what you're saying. Unfortunately, companies have always erred on the side of more $$$, therefore the consumer will never see the 'charging less for hardware' side of the equation. They'll just charge higher prices for a 'basic' car and even more to activate the hardware already present in the vehicle.

On the other hand.... far better opportunities to 'hack' fun new features into your car post-sale! 😁
Unfortunately this is the inherent problem with corporations wanting to monetize everything, in theory it should work for both sides but in reality the bottom line outweighs customer benefit.

Hacking and coding are awesome, have guys to do both, aka free stuff 🤣

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
Has anyone mentioned yet the recurring common problems such as doors that either won't stay closed, or conversely won't open, the electric steering that frequently will not turn as the driver goes into a corner, fires galore, or how about when you are away on a road trip and the car suddenly refuses to take a charge...and that is just the beginning of a very long list.

OP
P

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Thread Starter #11
Has anyone mentioned yet the recurring common problems such as doors that either won't stay closed, or conversely won't open, the electric steering that frequently will not turn as the driver goes into a corner, fires galore, or how about when you are away on a road trip and the car suddenly refuses to take a charge...and that is just the beginning of a very long list.
Hey, other than that, Teslas are great cars. ;)

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
OP
P

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Thread Starter #14
The Twitter wouldn't open for me.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Tesla is like an iphone it's hip, it's cool looking and everyone wants one. Until you look at the build quality and some of the issues they have.