Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Tesla Plaid vs McClaren 720S

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
But between arrival, and race time there is a wait. Then between runs is a wait.

I guess i was really really surprised and shocked to hear this about tesla.

Imagine if you left home, drove 3 blocks in your tesla, and a bike challenged you to go when the light turns green.
Then roll down your windows i guess, and say ' excuse me sir, can we just cruise around for another 14 minutes while my batteries warm up'. Lol 😂🤣😅😂😂
I’m saying, it’s not like that.
If a bike rolls up next to you out of your driveway, you’re going to beat him. You don’t need the “prep” to haul ass.

If you’re in your HC you’re going to say, I don’t even cold rev this thing, I’m not going WOT before trans temps are above 140.

You need to watch the Plaid guy on YouTube and the drag times guy… then you’ll understand. It’s hard to explain when the magazine already got it wrong.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Thread Starter #122
But between arrival, and race time there is a wait. Then between runs is a wait.

I guess i was really really surprised and shocked to hear this about tesla.

Imagine if you left home, drove 3 blocks in your tesla, and a bike challenged you to go when the light turns green.
Then roll down your windows i guess, and say ' excuse me sir, can we just cruise around for another 14 minutes while my batteries warm up'. Lol 😂🤣😅😂😂
My understanding is the Plaid doesn't require multiple activations of drag strip mode as long as there is not a major time out between runs (see that vid where they run 4 times in 30 minutes for example), but that for maximum performance you want to heat the batteries and cool the motors. You can still rip in regular though (and this is supposedly the setting most used on the street - they've found that basic street racing can't put the power down like the track can, just like ICEs). Just standing on it at the light will get you 2.5 0-60 or like that, on the street.

EDIT: But I'd still like to make the point that a huge part of this success is that it is AWD. You could put the same power down to only the rears and the Plaid would be far less impressive. AWD is the shit - used to annoy the hell out of me that little whackadoodle cars like the WRX, etc..., could launch harder than my 450/450 to the wheels GTO on the street, but that's just the way it is. And why I really wish dodge would hurry the hell up with the AWD ectro-hybrid whateverthefuck it is....

ScaredWelldocumentedCatfish-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
I just got a roll race with a model 3 dual motor.. Hell even that thing can hang with the hellcat. I wasn’t really on my game it was late at night.. but the Tesla wanted a quick go.. I think I was in 5th maybe at 60 and then downshift to 3rd at like 80.. I let him pull on me a hair till he was next to me then once it downshift after 100 I was pulling on him we shutdown probably 110 115 I had him by a car. Was very impressed though. Definitely noticeablely quicker than a 392 in a straight line. Plus it’s 300 lbs lighter and more aerodynamic. I read these cars are putting 400 wheel hp and close to 550lb ft to the ground from 40-130mph.. from 80-100 it held on for about 3 seconds admirably.. then the Kitty’s brute HP took over.. I gave him the hit though for the first half second.. really I was just super curious what it was actually capable of.. because I’ve never actually got someone who ever tried to test me in a Tesla.. was fun though we both enjoyed it I gave him a big Thumbs up 👍.. he flashed his lights.. I was going to do a real second run with him but he was turning left.. if we actually did a true hit at like 40 and I went to second I’d probably pull a lot harder.. but as I said it was a simple fun little moment

Last edited:
OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #124
The draw for me is that electric cars were always science fiction (just like a flying car in every garage,etc...) and when I was older the fundamentals of power production, battery density, overall weight, etc... made it seem almost insurmountable from a practicality perspective. Now I'm "old" and we're seeing many of those technological limitations are not longer valid. The march of time.

Don't know much about the Model 3, but sounds like a good time was had by all. And isn't that the point? I don't really care what you have under the hood, or how many wheels, I'm always up (or was) for a little good natured competition. Good on you guys.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
I've challenged only 2 teslas in my life, but neither had anything for me on my bike.
The old Yamaha just kept pulling away.
Really didn't impress me much.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #126
Which Yamaha? I can't ride anymore.

ONJ9gaK.gif

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
The one on the right.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #129
1000 hp ZR1 on bead locks versus the Plaid on the street - roll

On a few of the starts the ZR1 takes it, but agree with its driver - the Plaid is the faster car bc is more consistent. Be aware, this is not "drag strip mode" or what have you in the Plaid, this is just mash the throttle.

mopar madness

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denton
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 BMW M5
I've challenged only 2 teslas in my life, but neither had anything for me on my bike.
The old Yamaha just kept pulling away.
Really didn't impress me much.
smoked a model 3 on the gixxer on my way to bike night last night on the dallas tollway.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #131
like you just left it behind like a stone, or it just couldn't hang? Of course, I have not idea what the the 3 does

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
The 3 doesn’t really pose a threat to anything considered race worthy.

mopar madness

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denton
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 BMW M5
like you just left it behind like a stone, or it just couldn't hang? Of course, I have not idea what the the 3 does
after the initial hit it just couldn't hang once the speed started to climb. it was the first time i was ever challenged by a tesla on my bike though