Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

So why didn't the Viper ever get an OEM supercharged motor option?

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
With the Hellcat/SC Hemi going away and all the talk of this mystery last Hellcat in 2023 coming out, I started to think about the forgotten Dodge Supercar...the Viper.

The last year the Viper was made was 2017, two years AFTER the 707 SC Hellcat hit the scene. Still very odd how/why the Viper didn't go out with a Super Charged whine as its swan song.

How cool would it be if Dodge ended its ICE reign next year with a SC Viper ACR, just for :poop:s and :ps ??

To me, this has a better chance (no new R/D needed) versus a Super Hellcat one year before Stentantis goes all-electric on our Ass3s...

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
With the Hellcat/SC Hemi going away and all the talk of this mystery last Hellcat in 2023 coming out, I started to think about the forgotten Dodge Supercar...the Viper.

The last year the Viper was made was 2017, two years AFTER the 707 SC Hellcat hit the scene. Still very odd how/why the Viper didn't go out with a Super Charged whine as its swan song.

How cool would it be if Dodge ended its ICE reign next year with a SC Viper ACR, just for :poop:s and :ps ??

To me, this has a better chance (no new R/D needed) versus a Super Hellcat one year before Stentantis goes all-electric on our Ass3s...
Wishful thinking at best..Viper production capabilities have been mothballed for some time now....and I don't see them taking the initiative..(added expense) to send the HC off with honors....nope fade to black is how I see it..but..will just have to wait and see..:unsure:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I think the Viper was more thought of as a road race car then a drag car. N/A seems to be more common for a car like that

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody

Funny....I've thought exactly the same thing in the past. Can't understand why Dodge didn't throw the HC (or Redeye) engine in a Viper.........they've thrown them in everything else since then! Really I'd see it as a win-win for them. As you said, no all-new platform needed, better gas milage than any V-10, lighter....

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Do I remember correctly that the Hellcat engine does not fit in the Viper?

It seems like I recall that from someone at FCA when it was being cancelled.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

We could have CC buy one and see if it will. May have a cool bug sucker on top:p

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle

Not saying you're wrong because I have no idea. But - a Hellcat engine won't fit in a space that normally has a giant V10 engine?!? Again, I've seen these HC engines shoe-horned into some REALLY small cars already....

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
We could have CC buy one and see if it will. May have a cool bug sucker on top:p
I think it would be even better if CC bought ME one......:geek:

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
-Hellcat V8 doesn't fit.
-V10 production ended long ago.
-Viper assembly (Conner Ave) was turned into a museum and office space several years ago.
-Any new engine/chassis configuration would have to be EPA/crash tested, etc.
-After Viper production ended in '17 there were still brand new ones available for YEARS after (2 sold in '21, might be some out there unsold to this day).

Cool thought, but never going to happen unfortunately.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Height issue I believe

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB

You know what the super hellcat is right? It’s a 10hp bump to 737. 😂. Yeah, it’s super.. oh and Super Redeye.. it’s now got 817hp. You wait for it..

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Plus so far in the last two consecutive years I have determined, superchargers don’t like road courses. At least the units on the HO engine. The HC never had the problems this one has and I know I ran it harder. Only thing that engine gave up was crying Uncle once giving me some mis-fire codes one day I kept chasing a Lambo.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Probably because it's practically un-drivable as is?

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Plus so far in the last two consecutive years I have determined, superchargers don’t like road courses. At least the units on the HO engine. The HC never had the problems this one has and I know I ran it harder. Only thing that engine gave up was crying Uncle once giving me some mis-fire codes one day I kept chasing a Lambo.
One of the first needed things on a GT500 is an intercooler. They are supposed to be a track car but if left stock idk how they'd stay cool. At least I know this with drag racing. I'd assume what you do is worst. GT500 is supposed to be more of a track car so idk. Blowers are hot.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
i just about purchased a 2005 Viper Convertible. The dealer knew me so well and wonder why😁 they let me have her for the afternoon. Damn after riding around in her for an Hour I was like get me out. Too damn tight but yes fast as hell and wow the back end numerous times came out from me. One time I thought I was going to find the bridge abutment 😳. I came to closure I would kill myself in that car and being a Corvette guy with the Z06 it just didn’t seem practical at that time. Came close again back in 2014 getting the GTS Viper Green one and I was so close to buying her but just couldn’t come to closure it made sense.
153509E9-765D-4AEE-B8A5-A1A65C94907F.jpeg D4714BA2-77EB-41AC-BEBF-4C61DD78C49D.jpeg

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
Great answers guys. And yes, ala the Z06, N/A (immediate response) is usually the ticket for road race cars. What's pretty amazing is that these cars we're over 600hp N/A as far back as 2008 (my 06 too since it is an Mopar/Arrow HP offering). Today, GM is falling over themselves about 670 HP N/A. Granted, V10 vs V8 and it's got a redline of 8300 (which truly is insane) but the HP number isn't crazy high considering what Dodge had 15-17 years ago!

Last edited:
OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #18
Probably because it's practically un-drivable as is?
Aw come on, bro! It's a modern Cobra! No nannies!

I LOVE my Viper. It is a handful and I wouldn't have it any other way!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County