Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Single Piece Driveshaft Expectations?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Just installed a one piece driveshaft on the Charger along with cradle lockouts.
1st pass it vibrated and was noisy from about 75 - 130.
2nd pass it didn't seem to be as bad.

What do you experience with yours?

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Ive only had mi 4in. Wiles up to
about 115-118 but no vibes at all. Silky smooth all the way up. Also have cradle lockout, Demon 1/2 shafts, and AAD pieces out back.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
Ive only had mi 4in. Wiles up to
about 115-118 but no vibes at all. Silky smooth all the way up. Also have cradle lockout, Demon 1/2 shafts, and AAD pieces out back.
Any noise?

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Dss 4” aluminum no cradle lockout on m6. No vibrations so far. I’ve had it to ~145 several times, a few street passes and 7 track passes.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
Dss 4” aluminum no cradle lockout on m6. No vibrations so far. I’ve had it to ~145 several times, a few street passes and 7 track passes.
Dss 4" here. They said that you need the lockouts to prevent breakage.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Dss 4" here. They said that you need the lockouts to prevent breakage.
Yeah I see that now that I’ve had mine on about a year😂.. I might look into doing it, idk. I believe I’m past warranty on dss now anyway. I’m launching between 2500 and 3k rpm and never had any wheel hop

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
Yeah I see that now that I’ve had mine on about a year😂.. I might look into doing it, idk. I believe I’m past warranty on dss now anyway. I’m launching between 2500 and 3k rpm and never had wheel hop
I think it's lifetime. Not sure what lifetime they're talking about...

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I think it's lifetime. Not sure what lifetime they're talking about...
Is it? I thought it was 1 year. I probably will do the lock out eventually, but it’s down the line of my to do’s

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Just installed a one piece driveshaft on the Charger along with cradle lockouts.
1st pass it vibrated and was noisy from about 75 - 130.
2nd pass it didn't seem to be as bad.

What do you experience with yours?
I busted one (CF) the first time I attempted to drag race it at BIR. It was my 2015 Hellcat. A million pieces and a big embarrassment at the starting line. Hell I can’t recall who made that one now.

To this day with the new owner the prototype QA1 2.5” diameter CF that they provided still lives! I did take that one to the strip and the track and attempted to bust it, and it was solid. You can’t get one. Apparently some of the subsequent manufactured units failed, so they gave up offering them for Hellcats.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #10
I busted one (CF) the first time I attempted to drag race it at BIR. It was my 2015 Hellcat. A million pieces and a big embarrassment at the starting line. Hell I can’t recall who made that one now.

To this day with the new owner the prototype QA1 2.5” diameter CF that they provided still lives! I did take that one to the strip and the track and attempted to bust it, and it was solid. You can’t get one. Apparently some of the subsequent manufactured units failed, so they gave up offering them for Hellcats.
I knew the harshness would be much greater. Just not sure of the vibration. 2nd pass didn't seem as bad though.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Nope, but I’ve also heard Bartons are noisy…I don’t hear anything out of the ordinary from either.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Wiles 4” unit, not as smooth as a stock 2 piece but smoothest of 3 brands I tried and I’ve had all up to 200 mph. M6 drive shaft spins much faster then a A8 drive shaft at the same speed so that’s a factor that comes into play as well with drive shaft vibrations, I’m M6 so with the 3.90 rear I run at 200 mph the drive shaft was spinning about 11,000 rpm’s verse probably around 7000 for a A8 drive shaft with a 3.09 rear. That’s flying for such a long unsupported in the middle piece.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
CCI 4" aluminum here on a 18 Charger. No lockouts yet. DID do the AAD kit minus the toe links. Also DIRS with race Brace.

The 1pc aluminum...and I don't care what one it is...becomes a tuning fork for differential noise. If you had any doubts before as to if yours was noisy or not...it'll tell you 100% for certain. This was before the race brace...which made no real difference to noise on mine.

Biggest vibration issues on mine came from wheel balance and incorrect alignment. The shaft itself is smooth as glass from 0-165.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #14
CCI 4" aluminum here on a 18 Charger. No lockouts yet. DID do the AAD kit minus the toe links. Also DIRS with race Brace.

The 1pc aluminum...and I don't care what one it is...becomes a tuning fork for differential noise. If you had any doubts before as to if yours was noisy or not...it'll tell you 100% for certain. This was before the race brace...which made no real difference to noise on mine.

Biggest vibration issues on mine came from wheel balance and incorrect alignment. The shaft itself is smooth as glass from 0-165.
2nd pass wasn't as bad. I'll check it out before it goes back out.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
2nd pass wasn't as bad. I'll check it out before it goes back out.
Try clocking it 90 degrees at one end and see if that makes a difference or not sometimes just that simple movement changes a resonant vibration point, it could also make it worse. Sometimes you have to play with it to get it just right.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #16
Try clocking it 90 degrees at one end and see if that makes a difference or not sometimes just that simple movement changes a resonant vibration point, it could also make it worse. Sometimes you have to play with it to get it just right.
Yea, I'm starting to feel the need for a lift.

Wizza

Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stafford
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat
I have the DSS axles and aluminum driveshaft as well as both diff braces from P4D and the BMR cradle lockouts

The combination had some noise but never any vibrations

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
The cradle lockouts are designed to prevent the rear cradle from moving forward as much as factory bushings and collapsing the CV joint on the driveshaft causing the driveshaft to fail. If you have a DSS driveshaft you are required to have cradle lockouts to be covered by any type of warranty. If your driveshaft fails and it is due to the CV being collapsed too much it will be apparent that the cradle lockouts (or solid cradle bushings) were not being used.
If you ever wondered how far a cradle moves forward on a Challenger during a hard launch just video the rear tire in relation to the front of the rear wheel well on a car that 1.2x 60's. The cradle locks are imperative in a vehicle that is capable of low 1.3x or quicker 60's.