Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Ram Truck Owners Have Wandering Eyes

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
The problem is the Ram powertrains are outdated. Outside of that, they're great trucks. I bought a 2016 Ram 1500 Sport brand new and loved it, then a 2020 1500 Longhorn EcoDiesel, loved the truck but hated the EcoDiesel, got rid of it after 6 months, and bought a 2020 3500 Limited Cummins. I loved that truck but then moved a 5-minute drive from work, got sick of the rough ride, and knew that short commuting was a recipe for disaster with a modern diesel.

I knew I didn't want to do another 5.7 Hemi and didn't need a 1-ton, so this time I bought a 2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost hybrid. After having that, I don't understand what F-Series owners' obsession is, the interior was crap compared to the Ram, the EcoBoost is laggy and feels underpowered until it gets over the turbo lag then it's a rocket, but in day-to-day regular driving it feels lazy, they have the 10-speed programmed like crap and the 1-2 and 2-3 shift is harsh, on top of that it was non-stop electrical problems. It did get killer fuel mileage until I leveled it and put 35s on it, then it was worse on fuel than my leveled with 35s Hemi Ram was, I know a level and tires will affect mileage, but I've never seen it affect mileage as bad as on this thing. On top of that, the F-150 is so floaty going around corners at highway speeds is almost scary at times. Kept that 6 months and then got rid of it.

Then I got a 2022 Ram 1500 Limited 5.7 and while again it was a really nice truck, I was at the gas station every 2 days after moving an hour and a half away from work, and the new UConnect 5 system is an absolute dumpster fire and I was constantly having issues with it. Less than 6 months later that truck was gone.

Now I'm driving a 2022 refresh Sierra Denali Ultimate with the 3.0 Duramax as much as I hate to say it because I've been a total anti-GM truck guy, this might be my favorite truck I've owned. The refreshed interior is miles better than the fisher price interiors they've had for years, although I still don't think the material quality is on Ram Longhorn/Limited level. The massage seats are comfortable, and the 3.0 gets crazy good fuel mileage and doesn't suffer from crazy throttle lag as I experienced from the EcoDiesel. I'm 6 months in and 20,000km (12,500 miles) with no issues at all.

That said, I would consider myself a Ram truck guy and will probably go back depending on how the Hurricane works out.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
I had 2 Rams in a row. 1500 Laramie with the e-torque. It was great pulling the open trailer

I decided to move to an enclosed trailer so I had to move up to a 2500 Ram Laramie with the Cummins. After 28K miles I was sick of the recalls for possibly catching on fire and the transmission had been partially rebuilt. Still shifted like shit and I couldn't park it inside or near anything else.

Somehow I ended up at Toyota and purchased a Tundra Platinum Hybrid. After only a week of ownership, the tech is fresh, rides and drives well and it's a pretty fast truck. Supposed to be faster than the Ford Raptor V6, it's a true sleeper.

I looked at getting another 1500 Ram but the prices was almost double of what it was in 2020 and it's the same truck.
20230518_145553.jpg

Last edited:

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
I had 2 Rams in a row. 1500 Laramie with the e-torque. It was great pulling the open trailer

I decided to move to an enclosed trailer so I had to move up to a 2500 Ram Laramie with the Cummins. After 28K miles I was sick of the recalls for possibly catching on fire and the transmission had been partially rebuilt. Still shifted like shit and I couldn't park it inside or near anything else.

Somehow I ended up at Toyota and purchased a Tundra Platinum Hybrid. After only a week of ownership, the tech is fresh, rides and drives well and it's a pretty fast truck. Supposed to be faster than the Ford Raptor V6, it's a true sleeper.
I actually do like the new Tundras quite a bit. When the first photos came out, I thought it looked terrible, but I don't know if it just grew on me or looks better in person than in photos, but I think they're a sharp truck. I've always thought the Tacoma was a seriously overrated truck but the 2024 Tacoma would have me seriously considering downsizing.

That said I'm probably going to end up in an enclosed trailer scenario too, which will likely put me back into a 1-ton. A half-ton would probably do the job but I'd rather just not even feel the trailer. Also where I live 3/4 tons fall into a typical passenger vehicle class and are subject to luxury taxes etc, it's actually cheaper to get a 1-ton as they're considered a commercial vehicle and exempt from luxury tax.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
I actually do like the new Tundras quite a bit. When the first photos came out, I thought it looked terrible, but I don't know if it just grew on me or looks better in person than in photos, but I think they're a sharp truck. I've always thought the Tacoma was a seriously overrated truck but the 2024 Tacoma would have me seriously considering downsizing.

That said I'm probably going to end up in an enclosed trailer scenario too, which will likely put me back into a 1-ton. A half-ton would probably do the job but I'd rather just not even feel the trailer. Also where I live 3/4 tons fall into a typical passenger vehicle class and are subject to luxury taxes etc, it's actually cheaper to get a 1-ton as they're considered a commercial vehicle and exempt from luxury tax.
Here in Florida the 2500 is considered a Heavy Duty truck. I'm still amazed that I actually bought it since it was everything that I thought that I didn't want.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
I love my ‘04 CTD 2500, still my daily driver since I bought it new. Other than the well known problems with the 48RE junk tranny, on my 2nd rebuild, it’s been great with just over 267k. Now with diesel prices begining to come down, just paid 3.37g I’m happy once again. I can’t touch a new one however as prices are crazy!!!
IMG_7206.jpeg

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
The 5.0 is what lured me into another F150. The ecoboost/powerboost motors benefit greatly from a tune. I just got out of a tuned 3.5. The 5.0 benefits from a 3L Whipple. The shifting strategy on the 10spd is pretty horrible. I’ve been happy with the interior of my ‘21 Platinum, has all of the amenities I’d ever need. I didn’t want a 5.7 or a 6.4 for that matter because they lack the bolt on power potential of the Coyote.
The coilovers up front and 2” drop shackles in the rear pair nicely with the 24” wheels to let it handle a little better than leveled on 35s, but it’s still pretty floaty. I was going to get a TRX, but it’s just too big to daily and I would have a social obligation to beat the piss out of it all of the time… I avoid a lot of that with my parking lot princess. Also, I gap the TRXs pretty hard with this thing.

Attachments

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Here in Florida the 2500 is considered a Heavy Duty truck. I'm still amazed that I actually bought it since it was everything that I thought that I didn't want.
I thought this was handled at the DMV when I registered the truck and was based on payload… wasn’t sure when/how the luxury or gas guzzler taxes kicked in.

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
The 5.0 is what lured me into another F150. The ecoboost/powerboost motors benefit greatly from a tune. I just got out of a tuned 3.5. The 5.0 benefits from a 3L Whipple. The shifting strategy on the 10spd is pretty horrible. I’ve been happy with the interior of my ‘21 Platinum, has all of the amenities I’d ever need. I didn’t want a 5.7 or a 6.4 for that matter because they lack the bolt on power potential of the Coyote.
The coilovers up front and 2” drop shackles in the rear pair nicely with the 24” wheels to let it handle a little better than leveled on 35s, but it’s still pretty floaty. I was going to get a TRX, but it’s just too big to daily and I would have a social obligation to beat the piss out of it all of the time… I avoid a lot of that with my parking lot princess. Also, I gap the TRXs pretty hard with this thing.
That is a nice truck I had wondered if I would have felt differently about my F-150 if I went with the 5.0. I test drove a Lariat Sport 5.0 and liked it as the Platinum PowerBoost had a deposit on it, then last minute they said the guy pulled out of the Platinum deal so I jumped on it after seeing all the reviewers rant and rave about it. And I agree the Coyote responds ridiculously well to bolt ons.

I had a TRX for a week as a press vehicle and absolutely loved it, but I didn't love the fuel mileage, which coupled with gas prices here in B.C Canada have kept me away from the TRX no matter how bad I want one deep down.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #10
I thought this was handled at the DMV when I registered the truck and was based on payload… wasn’t sure when/how the luxury or gas guzzler taxes kicked in.
There's no guzzler tax. It gets the same tag as an 18 wheeler and you have to renew yearly.

I looked at the 5.0 F150s. I know that they are mod friendly but everything else just felt dated like the Rams. Even looked at a GMC and never sat in one. Prices seemed insane.

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
Putting a new long block and rebuilding the suspension in my 13 Ram as I refuse to spend the kind of money needed to replace it plus you can't just get a 5.7l now!! I'll get another 10 years and 188,000 miles out of it I'm sure!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
The problem is the Ram powertrains are outdated. .
Yeah, I don't know how I put up with the ancient Cummins and the Aisin with a mere 6 gears.
Potentially because it'll pull 25K without a whimper, and could go for 500K miles with just basic maintenance.

And that old 6.2 in the TRX...don't know what to say about that museum piece. Good thing it has that old 8-speed, like in the Challenger, so I can pretend that it's a fast car.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #13
Yeah, I don't know how I put up with the ancient Cummins and the Aisin with a mere 6 gears.
Potentially because it'll pull 25K without a whimper, and could go for 500K miles with just basic maintenance.

And that old 6.2 in the TRX...don't know what to say about that museum piece. Good thing it has that old 8-speed, like in the Challenger, so I can pretend that it's a fast car.
You should of had a conversation if my old truck?

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat

I was talking about the 1500's specifically, outside of the TRX. Everyone knows the Cummins and Aisin is bulletproof and the TRX is badass.

I do wish the 2500/3500 had the new cab from the 1500 though.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #15
I was talking about the 1500's specifically, outside of the TRX. Everyone knows the Cummins and Aisin is bulletproof and the TRX is badass.

A dealer not far from me got in a TRX and listed it $10K under. I looked, thought and said, no. Just to much for a daily driver.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer

I looked at getting another 1500 Ram but the prices was almost double of what it was in 2020 and it's the same truck.
View attachment 106448
The prices just kill me for what has been the same truck since 2018.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #17
The prices just kill me for what has been the same truck since 2018.
That same truck is almost $70K.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
A dealer not far from me got in a TRX and listed it $10K under. I looked, thought and said, no. Just to much for a daily driver.
TRX is a toy.
If you only need to pull a 20ft boat/camper or open air trailer with a race car, its fine. I wouldn't pull more than 6k lbs with it.
Mileage sucks and while its fast, its not that fast.

Fun as hell, but 33 gallons and not getting 300 miles out of tank gets old.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger

I had a '14 1500 with the V6 for years. A very dependable but quite boring car. Then a Challenger with the V6, which was fun to drive. Thanks to the AWD and less weight it handled better than the 'Cat.
In other words, I have nothing against the V6, or the 8-speed.

Also, I much prefer the styling of the '10-'18 Rams. We have had a '19 since they were new and I'm still trying to get used to it.

But hey, it's a good thing we're all different. For example, while the world would be a better looking place if less people had Chargers, how would we get our pizza, or to the airport?

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
But hey, it's a good thing we're all different. For example, while the world would be a better looking place if less people had Chargers, how would we get our pizza, or to the airport?
Ahahahahahaha, now that's funny right there.