Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

New Security Update Rollout?

Boricuoso787

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
No thanks. They cant even update the infotainment system right. Ill pass. Car is kept garaged or at the track.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
1619433842385.png

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
The issue is still the car doesn't have to be started to be stolen. I posted one video where another car was pushing it. I was more puzzled how he was steering. Shouldn't the wheel be locked or does it unlock if you get the car in neutral?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Has anyone heard of dealers doing this update yet? I’ve seen a couple YouTube videos claiming they were done. Not sure if they’re talking about the same security update.

https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=22616&mid=1
If that's real, and does not require a visit to the dealer, that's the perfect fix for the spoofing crap. Push it with an on air update and be done with it. However, I suspect they'll want to see the car for a variety of reasons. Interesting.

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
The issue is still the car doesn't have to be started to be stolen. I posted one video where another car was pushing it. I was more puzzled how he was steering. Shouldn't the wheel be locked or does it unlock if you get the car in neutral?
These cars have never had a locking steering wheel. Maybe 10 years into owning the Magnum, I realized the steering wasn't locking and thought something in the column had broken. Never occurred to me it didn't lock by design. I'm always making sure my wife's Mazda is always dead center when I remove the key so there is some play before it locks, a little tug on the wheel locks it. It's harder to turn the key once the steering locks without tugging the wheel.

The older 5 speed LX's do have the shift interlock by mechanical cable. There is a spring-loaded plastic pivot arm in the shifter that tends to break where the spring attaches to it. Once that breaks, you can't get it out of park. When mine broke, I pulled out the shifter and drilled out that hook and stuck a cotter pin in there instead. The spring now hooks up to the eye of the cotter pin, no chance it breaks again.

Last edited:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
The GTO I just sold had a steering wheel lock that was fully integrated into the security system and depended on a kind of pivot mechanism activated by the key and it often wore out and the car was totally immobilized. In some places GTO owners flew a guy in who knew how to file the cylinder / pivot down in for the weekend and had big "lock safing" parties. Mine never got bad and I never did the fix myself (though I kept an eye on it).

OP
Boricuoso787

Boricuoso787

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
Interesting. I had no clue the steering wheel doesn’t lock. Come to think of it, I haven’t seen that in most newer vehicles I’ve driven. You would think a good theft deterrent feature like that would still be a thing. Not very reassuring.

OP
Boricuoso787

Boricuoso787

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
If that's real, and does not require a visit to the dealer, that's the perfect fix for the spoofing crap. Push it with an on air update and be done with it. However, I suspect they'll want to see the car for a variety of reasons. Interesting.
It is definitely real. As I understand it, it is indeed a dealer service visit. Would be nice to just push it via Uconnect. That’d be too easy I guess.

OP
Boricuoso787

Boricuoso787

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
Apparently this update works as follows:
1- You don’t want your car stolen
2- When required based on location you’re parking the vehicle, you enter a security code (much like Valet Mode)
3- Your vehicle is castrated to a whopping 3hp if started and the security code is not entered, and is then “killed” after driving a specific time/distance.

You still have to do this e v e r y time you leave the vehicle, which I guess given the alternative, is not the worst thing in the world.

My question is: Will this be “bypassable” like Valet Mode is by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes? Also, why not upgrade the fob receivers with better encryption so jackass can’t get into my car with a spoofer in the first place (yeah, broken window... I get it), all in addition to this 3hp, dead car security mode? I mean I guess I should be grateful FCA is doing anything at all.

I just hope there are no glitches. Could you imagine getting stuck in anti-theft mode with a 4k lbs land-yacht with only 3hp due to some software glitch?!

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
4000 lbs? You've done weight reduction....

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Guess these 2 could have used a security update. Here in ILLiNOISE where thugs run rampant.. I count about 4 Corvettes and 4 Camaros on that fence line but they chose the 2 Mopars..🤔
The manager for the dealership arrived and told police that two vehicles were stolen: a red 2-door 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat, valued at $60,876, and a white 4-door 2018 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack, valued at $42,763.
Police said security footage showed three people on the lot, and windows were broken to enter the cars. Evidence technicians processed the scene, and the cars were entered into a national database as stolen, police said.

Phillips Chevy 5/25/21

Last edited:

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Also, why not upgrade the fob receivers with better encryption so jackass can’t get into my car with a spoofer in the first place (yeah, broken window... I get it),
thats not how that works, replay attacks take the encrypted signal and just rebroadcast it, stand close to a dodge key fob, get original signal, rebroadcast with amplifier and then start car

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yes, that's the idiot way of setting up the system. Cant believe dodge chose something so stupid. At least turn off the auto entry or whatever they call it on the center stack (see previous post of mine) so the car doesn't constantly listen for that signal. What they need to do is a rolling time keyed encryption at a minimum.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Then have a manual door lock sensor immobilizes the car and says on the car alarm if the door is unlocked without using the remote or simple glass break sensor

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
No thanks.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I'll pass, they still have not fixed the crap they borked with the last update over 3 years ago.

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Apparently this update works as follows:
1- You don’t want your car stolen
2- When required based on location you’re parking the vehicle, you enter a security code (much like Valet Mode)
3- Your vehicle is castrated to a whopping 3hp if started and the security code is not entered, and is then “killed” after driving a specific time/distance.

You still have to do this e v e r y time you leave the vehicle, which I guess given the alternative, is not the worst thing in the world.

My question is: Will this be “bypassable” like Valet Mode is by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes? Also, why not upgrade the fob receivers with better encryption so jackass can’t get into my car with a spoofer in the first place (yeah, broken window... I get it), all in addition to this 3hp, dead car security mode? I mean I guess I should be grateful FCA is doing anything at all.

I just hope there are no glitches. Could you imagine getting stuck in anti-theft mode with a 4k lbs land-yacht with only 3hp due to some software glitch?!
Exactly. What could possibly go wrong? :)