Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

My son's calculus teacher is a MOPAR gearhead...lol!

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
My son is taking Calculus I at the University of Colorado and sent me this in a text tonight...

PS show your work if you plan to answer! :LOL:

IMG_5358.jpg

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Well my brain is very old, but these problems were fun back in the day. I’ll try. I am sure the professor wants to see the students show some derivatives in this fundamental calculus problem. We will skip that for the benefit of our Forum members.

I remember my first Calculus final, where it hit me. The calculus was just one little step in what usually is just a big algebra problem. But given the derived equation delta x or the distance traveled (distance) = initial velocity x time + (.5)x acceleration x time squared. I get 101.2’ in 2.3 seconds. For the answer to #2.

Simple multiplication can be used after utilizing another given and derived calculus equation that the acceleration is 38.26 ft per second per second or 38’ per second squared.

To graph it, the initial velocity is zero, 38.26 ft/sec after one second, 76.52 ft/sec after two seconds and then we arrive at about the 88 ft/sec velocity after 2.3 seconds.

If that is not close, then WTF I’ll just continue to use rulers, speedometers and my IPhone apps!

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
@BULL check my work.

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
If you have one or access to a Demon, just turn in a video of a run and the 0-60 time shown on your slip!
(says show your work):cool: That should get you an A for sure.:giggle:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Only way to show my work would be to demonstrate it in my car:unsure:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
If you have one or access to a Demon, just turn in a video of a run and the 0-60 time shown on your slip!
(says show your work):cool: That should get you an A for sure.:giggle:
Saw your post after I posted

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Saw your post after I posted
It works out close to the 60’ times you guys have in the range of 1.5-2.0 seconds. You guys can compare to the 2.3 sec 0-60 rate, to whatever your instruments show for your 0-60 times and the 60’ lapsed time.

It makes those young minds think about it. You are all correct, us old guys just look at it different without the necessary calculations. I enjoyed the brain exercise. It was a distant fog to bring up in the brain!

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
I hated calculus class. But I loved physics. Go figure
I think I was able to solve 3 or 4 of those Dodge questions when they did it but that is definitely something I have to brush the dust off before using.

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
88 ft/s velocity at the end.

So zero acceleration (ft/s^2) to 88 ft/s^2 with llinear/constant accel to 2.3s

So, 44 avg accel (0+88/2) x 2.3 seconds.

Distance traveled = 101.2 ft

Given 60 ft times in the 1.4-1.5 range this all makes reasonable sense (which is always nice lol)

So you are only 8% down the 1/4 mile track u are already at 60 mph!

One more fun fact . This is almost the exact distance of an nfl extra point! 😂

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
Well my brain is very old, but these problems were fun back in the day. I’ll try. I am sure the professor wants to see the students show some derivatives in this fundamental calculus problem. We will skip that for the benefit of our Forum members.

I remember my first Calculus final, where it hit me. The calculus was just one little step in what usually is just a big algebra problem. But given the derived equation delta x or the distance traveled (distance) = initial velocity x time + (.5)x acceleration x time squared. I get 101.2’ in 2.3 seconds. For the answer to #2.

Simple multiplication can be used after utilizing another given and derived calculus equation that the acceleration is 38.26 ft per second per second or 38’ per second squared.

To graph it, the initial velocity is zero, 38.26 ft/sec after one second, 76.52 ft/sec after two seconds and then we arrive at about the 88 ft/sec velocity after 2.3 seconds.

If that is not close, then WTF I’ll just continue to use rulers, speedometers and my IPhone apps!
You nailed it!

GdBye

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Midland
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
That is hilarious! I teach a few business courses at a local university and this is one of the examples I use with students to get them to improve their selling skills:
1668023669227.png
Actually yesterday, I used an example of a marketing teaser campaign highlighting how Dodge introduced the Demon and generated a lot of excitement for the brand. They liked the video too. I do have to admit though that students have changed since I was young. Used to be a lot more gear heads. There's always hope though as long as we can keep the narrative alive.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Still gearheads in today's youth.

Just harder to find.

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
I remember back in high school, around the mid 70's a bunch of us were walking through the school parking lot when we came across the math teacher's 68 (or so) Barracuda.

Thinking it must just be just a slant 6 or something, one of us got the nerve to pop the hood and look. One look and then he slams the hood shut and we all start running for our lives like we seen a ghost or something.
Turned out to be a pretty nice 383 or maybe even a 440 all decked out with the all the expected good stuff and bling top to bottom from headers to a Holley.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thanks! What @Illegal_Demon said is right. This morning when I did the number crunching, as all us old dudes have learned, you look at it and say, is that reasonable. As a damn engineering major with a math minor, I would not have been happy with myself, it sort of was a personal challenge. It was fun to make my brain work real hard again, thanks for posting.

And, good luck to the young engineering student! You tell him what I consider the best advice ever about calculus and advanced math, given to me by what remains as one of my best friends and the youngest man in the USA to have passed the actuarial exams; do your work, and all of the problems, and NEVER ask why!

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15
Thanks! What @Illegal_Demon said is right. This morning when I did the number crunching, as all us old dudes have learned, you look at it and say, is that reasonable. As a damn engineering major with a math minor, I would not have been happy with myself, it sort of was a personal challenge. It was fun to make my brain work real hard again, thanks for posting.

And, good luck to the young engineering student! You tell him what I consider the best advice ever about calculus and advanced math, given to me by what remains as one of my best friends and the youngest man in the USA to have passed the actuarial exams; do your work, and all of the problems, and NEVER ask why!
POST OF THE DAY! :)

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Okay average acceleration is (88fps/2.3 seconds)/= a, which is 38.26 fps^2, or 1.1897036556348691325978801643954g
d= 1/2*(a*2.3^2)=101.2 feet.
101.2 feet to do 60mph is pretty good. You can't even fall that fast.
Also, about 130mph is the terminal velocity for a falling human body, so you can even exceed that, too! However, that terminal velocity is assuming you are laying kinda flat while falling, not like the freefall record holder, who hit Mach 1 (though admittedly at high altitude) on his way down, feet-first.

Oh, someone solved it.

Yeah, freefalling from 125k ft is cheating too.

; )

recurveman

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smithton
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Hellcat WB
Yeah, freefalling from 125k ft is cheating too.

; )
Terminal velocity at sea level is 176ft/sec. The greater the altitude the faster the velocity
because the air is thinner.