Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hurricane Superbird and Daytona

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
Ppl talking about civil war over politics??

Forgetaboutit..

Stop Americans from DRIVING their ICE cars?? ALL-OUT NUKES! 💣 🚀 🌋

Never happening here thankfully...

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Do what?

Guy should have driven them out or insured them. Maybe he doesn't give a shit? F them, I can pick one up anywhere! Maybe theybwere insured as I mentioned above. Great insurance scam. I don't hear him saying woe is me, everyone cry for me. So perhaps he doesn't care. Would I have done what he did? No. Is it his shit to do with as he pleases? Sure.

I've been in hurricanes. Take them seriously.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Guy should have driven them out or insured them.
Not that it's likely that I'll ever have a hurricane here, or get overrun by gators, but let's say a stray hurricane would come by.

While many of my vehicles are insured, I wouldn't want to lose any of them. So drive them away, you say? Okay, where do I find enough drivers to do that? Even on a good day.
If we were under some sort of threat like that, most people would probably be busy with trying to save their own stuff.

Needless to say, there's a reason I don't live where flooding, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. occur. I spent way too much time in California worrying about when it'd all burn down. Which it eventually did, but thankfully not until after I left.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Not that it's likely that I'll ever have a hurricane here, or get overrun by gators, but let's say a stray hurricane would come by.

While many of my vehicles are insured, I wouldn't want to lose any of them. So drive them away, you say? Okay, where do I find enough drivers to do that? Even on a good day.
If we were under some sort of threat like that, most people would probably be busy with trying to save their own stuff.

Needless to say, there's a reason I don't live where flooding, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. occur. I spent way too much time in California worrying about when it'd all burn down. Which it eventually did, but thankfully not until after I left.
You have to move them off the barrier island and you're good. Maybe a total of 5 miles 1 way.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
You have to move them off the barrier island and you're good. Maybe a total of 5 miles 1 way.
That's farther than I'd like to walk, especially several times.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
That's farther than I'd like to walk, especially several times.
Call a fucking Uber. You would definitely die down here.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
There’s probably a reason but it seems careless. Even if they had to get some help, there was enough time to get it done.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Call a fucking Uber. You would definitely die down here.
No such thing as Uber around here. And yes, I would die down there.
Or at least wish I was dead.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
There’s probably a reason but it seems careless. Even if they had to get some help, there was enough time to get it done.
I think the biggest issue was the media/weather forecasts were REALLY saying it was gonna be Tampa in the crosshairs. Enough time initially but once the track shifted (a little) south the day before landfall it was game over/too late at that point.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
No such thing as Uber around here. And yes, I would die down there.
Or at least wish I was dead.
Not talking about where you are.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I wonder if those cars were ready for a full restoration and they were insured to the max?

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I wonder if those cars were ready for a full restoration and they were insured to the max?

The guy clearly has $$$$$$, would assume they were insured to the hilt. They looked pretty clean even after the storm, don't think they needed restoration before getting trashed.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
I think the biggest issue was the media/weather forecasts were REALLY saying it was gonna be Tampa in the crosshairs. Enough time initially but once the track shifted (a little) south the day before landfall it was game over/too late at that point.
Not defending the guy. He was lazy. Just saying 💩 can change quickly. I lived in Miami for 17 years

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
The guy clearly has $$$$$$, would assume they were insured to the hilt. They looked pretty clean even after the storm, don't think they needed restoration before getting trashed.
Just throwing shit out there since I find it hard to believe that they would just leave the cars there and expect them to be OK.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Guy went to prison for it. I told some relatives of mine that it was insurance fraud the day it happened bc they were sitting around talking about what a shame it was. It was fraud.
This same guy is still out there flipping high dollar cars...

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

I suspect if he's got a load of superbirds he can afford to pay folks a pretty penny to help drive them away, if he really cares about them. I know I would. And I completely understand the fire mindset in California. And if we're up against that hurricane in NM, I think I'd be way more worried than about the cars :)

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Much like I still expect to find rattlesnakes under a piece of plywood, the thoughts about fire hasn't gone away, either.

For example, I know what order I'd (try to) get cars out of the garage if there's a fire in there. And the order is not based on what they are worth, but what they mean to me/us.

Of course, that planning means nothing if the fire isn't where I expect it to be. All I can do is to try to be prepared, and hope for the best. Not living in California or Florida makes that much easier.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Unfortunately, that fire mindset is not confined to California. It’s all around the west. Here in Colorado it’s all too real. It’s also why I’ll be moving back out east soon. Unlike a fire, you have days to move yourself (and your cars) out of the way of a hurricane. The key there is to have them in nearby storage not living with you right on the beach. That way you get rid of the salt air and the last minute procrastination when you invariably ignore/poo-poo the front end of the hurricane warning period. (“oh it’s going to miss us, oh it won’t be THAT bad” etc. And yes that mental procrastination and/or denial dynamic affects all Floridians, even David ;) )

I lived in Miami for 17 years and I’d say it’s relatively easy to get out of harms way a day before a storm hits you. A WHOLE lot harder if you gotta move you AND your -car collection- 24h before Mother Nature shows her full wrath. Having your cars off the front lines and as safe as can be (nothing is 100% safe) way before hurricane season begins is the way to go in hurricane prone areas.

Last edited:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Unfortunately, that fire mindset is not confined to California. It’s all around the west. Here in Colorado it’s all too real. It’s also why I’ll be moving back out east soon. .
Sounds like you're either in an area with lots of trees and/or brush, or where houses are very close together. If so, it doesn't matter all that much where in the country you are, fire can spread easily.

This place is like asbestos compared to what I'm used to, and it's rarely windy in the immediate area. But that doesn't mean there couldn't be a wildfire coming through at some point.

If it does, there's one tree (too) close to the guest house that I'd cut or pull down. Not sure what the best way to keep embers out of the barn and hay barn is, though.