Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Gen 5 whipple supercharger

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Dodge CHALLENGER HELLCAT REDEYE WIDEBODY
I was scrolling threw my news feed and found an article talking about the Gen 5 whipple. I went to whipple's website to get more info and they want you to reach out to them for a price. Has anyone reached out to them for more info (price, perf, etc...)? Looks interesting.

https://whipplesuperchargers.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=542

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I was scrolling threw my news feed and found an article talking about the Gen 5 whipple. I went to whipple's website to get more info and they want you to reach out to them for a price. Has anyone reached out to them for more info (price, perf, etc...)? Looks interesting.

https://whipplesuperchargers.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=542
Not yet, but based on the pricing for the GT350 one, it looks like a shade over $9,000.

greasy

Member ID
Reactions
City
HOFFMAN ESTATES
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Shoot! I guess we can't use it on the street.

THIS PRODUCT MAY BE USED SOLELY ON VEHICLES USED IN SANCTIONED COMPETITION WHICH MAY NEVER BE USED UPON A PUBLIC ROAD OR HIGHWAY, UNLESS PERMITTED BY SPECIFIC REGULATORY EXEMPTION (VISIT THE “EMISSIONS” PAGE AT HTTP://WWW.SEMASAN.COM/EMISSIONS FOR STATE BY STATE DETAILS.

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat

THIS PRODUCT MAY BE USED SOLELY ON VEHICLES USED IN SANCTIONED COMPETITION WHICH MAY NEVER BE USED UPON A PUBLIC ROAD OR HIGHWAY, UNLESS PERMITTED BY SPECIFIC REGULATORY EXEMPTION (VISIT THE “EMISSIONS” PAGE AT HTTP://WWW.SEMASAN.COM/EMISSIONS FOR STATE BY STATE DETAILS.
It's called CYA...

greasy

Member ID
Reactions
City
HOFFMAN ESTATES
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
OP
Bordercat_797

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
OP
Bordercat_797

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Not yet, but based on the pricing for the GT350 one, it looks like a shade over $9,000.
Ouch, that's a pretty heavy price tag.

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Chall SRT Hellcat Redeye
There are already dealers taking pre-orders for these. Based on the prices I'm seeing, this blower is going to take a big bite out of ported 2.4 and 2.7l blower business.

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Chall SRT Hellcat Redeye

The 3.0l will be a game changer. Based on what I know about it, I wouldn't spend money on a spare 2.7l blower and porting. The 3.0 will significantly outperform a ported 2.7l. The billet rotors alone are worth it.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

I have taken cats off cars, not to worried about that:)

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
My old Magnuson the GTO was fully CARB compliant. Bolt up, tune, swap the injectors, BAP, etc... and away you went. Pass the tail pipe tests no problem. Only thing I didn't understand was that it had an off road use only sticker on it. Almost caused some problems (there were a few times I got the car exempted from compliance under Texas law)

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
Wow, this thing is a real game changer. If you compare with the IHI, the intercoolers are twice as wide and the air plenum design runs the charge air through them twice, one side at a time. Plus, the cooling water enters each intercooler separately, instead of one place for both. With our Hellcats, a few adjustments would need to be made to the routing of cooling water. For my Cuda though, I will be designing the water system from scratch, to include an ice tank. The Stage One is priced pretty comparatively with similar stage, smaller units from other brands. My Cuda weighs a good 1,000 lbs. less than my Red Eye so I think they'll be relatively equal in performance in the quarter, but I don't know if I can resist this thing for my Cuda. Might have a brand new 2.4 IHI coming for sale on the market! Ohhh boiii !!

Last edited:

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I went back & forth on this and still decided on a Ported stock for a couple big reasons:

Engine internals/supporting mods & overall cost.

To properly make use of all this blower is capable of...you should replace the pistons and rods or do a preassembled shortblock of some sort. 2200-4995.

Cost of blower and throttle body is 6750?

You'll almost certainly outrun a drop-in twin pump...so factor in more for the fuel system. 1000-2500 here.

Now that you can turn the wick up in the meat of the efficiency... your ZF8 has little better than 50/50 odds of long term life. 5000-10k here.

Now I'm not saying I won't ever swap later on after someone else does the R&d for me...but right now I'm not all about dropping a turbo kit large just to watch everything around it fall apart.

Ported 2.4 will take me to a well rounded and optimized "stock" setup making well into the 900's and still be daily driven.

Now for people with bigger balls than me...this blower makes a ton more sense.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
It's an interesting design and I'm glad to see supercharger tech progressing. The price diff between the Mustang and Hellcat is odd, wonder if the price on the Hellcat page is a typo/pre-order place holder or something.

I've always liked Whipple supercharger, but I hope the QC is good on this. The 4.5L had a habbit of dropping bolts in to the cylinders for a while. Had a friend lose two Hellcat engines from that and one of them was a built 426.

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
There are at least 4 shops selling the 3.0 right now for about $7k

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
Thanks to Phast Hemi, just ordered one for the hellcat, until pro mod is done, sending it in the hellcat, all beware.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Well if there's one person that can make it go fast and bring the butthurt at the same time...it's that guy.