Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Fuel Storage/ additives

cooldawg

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Angola
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
RAM
Just wondering what Hellcatters are doing when they put the beast away for the winter. I’m planning to store mine from early/ mid Nov till 1st week of April... My experience with ethanol blended fuel for my boat was horrible until I cured those problems by running straight 90 octane... been smooth sailing ever since.

I was thinking of doing the same for the cat figuring I trusted the ignition/ anti-knock tech to compensate for lower octane vs. storing high end blended fuel with conditioner. Figured I could take it easy on her in the spring until I ran that first tank of 90 through...

Since the boat is stored for roughly the same period, I do run a Yamaha fuel stabilizer in the straight 90 as well...Countrymark’s non-blended used to be 91 octane, but now it’s rated at 90 (similar price offset, of course). :(

Last edited:

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
Get a fresh tank of 93 and put some sta-bil or seafoam in it along with a battery maintainer and you will be good, I live over by South Bend, just north of the border and this has worked well for the previous winters...

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Move to south Ms.
Drive all year round......

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Ive always used Sta-Bil and a battery tender on cars and bikes stored for the winter. I run Sta-Bil through all my lawn care equipment and snow blower all the time.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Move to south Ms.Drive all year round......
Well, as far as I know, StaBil only keeps water in check in the fuel. Not when the entire car is under water.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I put mine in storage for the same time period. For the last three winters I’ve filled with 93 octane, added Stabil 360, and then drive it enough to warm it up. I keep it on a battery tender and it starts like I had driven it the day before, five months later.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Racing fuel mixed with pump fuel, & keep tank full especially if not temperature controlled environment it keeps the fuel less exposed to air space if tank is partially full. If totally concerned pump it out in the spring, put in fresh fuel and use the old stuff on a vehicle of less concern. lots of people would gladly let you put it in their DD. Options are of plenty. .02

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Move to south Ms.
Drive all year round......
Hunter...If ever you win the lottery it is my belief...you would never go home to turn the lights off...just couldn't imagine where you would go...:unsure:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I put mine in storage for the same time period. For the last three winters I’ve filled with 93 octane, added Stabil 360, and then drive it enough to warm it up. I keep it on a battery tender and it starts like I had driven it the day before, five months later.
Same here, except that I drive if from the lift to the garage, with fresh oil. Then use a battery maintainer maybe once a month or so.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Same here, except that I drive if from the lift to the garage, with fresh oil. Then use a battery maintainer maybe once a month or so.
Yep. Fresh oil and over inflate the tires.

OP
cooldawg

cooldawg

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Angola
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
RAM
Thread Starter #11
Thanks everyone. Most of my boat issues were confined to my 9.9 ‘kicker’ Yamaha. The big 300 FI 4 stroke will drink anything. It’s the teeny tiny carb on that kicker that would have to be rebuilt every couple years....

But running the straight fuel cured that.

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat

B5Cat16

Member ID
Reactions
City
S
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I use Sta-bil 360 in all my cars. I hear Star-tron is good too but I've never tried it.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I run my tank about empty. I wouldn't trust the gas after it has been sitting that long so I sure don't want to burn out a full tank of iffy gas. I also take the battery out of the car and bring it in the house.