Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

exhaust performance upgrade

Member ID
Reactions
City
Maryland Heighs
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
Hi all,
I just joined and have a question about selecting custom exhaust. Plan is to get either 2015 or 2016 hellcat by end of month. First thing I want to do is replace the exhaust and manifolds with 3" Amerian racing headers and ARH 2" primary / 3" collector to get a little more HP but, admit, want the cat to growl. Any suggestions from the experts? What I really want is something that gets it closer to the old school sound from early model big blocks with their unique CAM that produced the loud but low, thumpty-thump rumble from, i.e., 440 HP big block from the dodge B-body series.
thanks for the help!
paul

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Welcome to the forum Paul! Lots of experts here to help. Good luck acquiring your Hellcat! We love pics once you get it.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Welcome to the site. As stated above lots of experience and information here.
What are your preferences?
Challenger?
Charger?
A8?
M6?

OP
M
Member ID
Reactions
City
Maryland Heighs
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
Thread Starter #4
real preference would be '70 charger RT 440 Magnum (but would think challenger would be similar).

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I had 2016 charger RT and all I did was a mid muffler delete and put a set of flowmaster supper 44's on the back and that was a fn deep sound. Shook the windows in the house when I'd crank it up. I personally like the stock exhaust on hellcat plus now I live in a neighborhood where there would def be some bitchin. Congrats regardless! Be sure to post picks when you get it.

OP
M
Member ID
Reactions
City
Maryland Heighs
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
Thread Starter #6
I had 2016 charger RT and all I did was a mid muffler delete and put a set of flowmaster supper 44's on the back and that was a fn deep sound. Shook the windows in the house when I'd crank it up. I personally like the stock exhaust on hellcat plus now I live in a neighborhood where there would def be some bitchin. Congrats regardless! Be sure to post picks when you get it.
Ha Ha! Yes, I'll be sure and post pics! Thanks for the advice! Appreciate it! (y)

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Factory hellcat with a cat delete is pretty gnarly.

Most people won't want to go thru the expense of headers and full exhaust until WELL into 4 digit land...simply because there's full factory exhaust cars running basement 9's all day erryday.

OP
M
Member ID
Reactions
City
Maryland Heighs
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
Thread Starter #8
Ha Ha! Yes, I'll be sure and post pics! Thanks for the advice! Appreciate it! (y)
I forgot to ask, when you did the mod you mentioned, did you get any exhaust drone?

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Yes there was drone. I had to line the inside of the trunk with that foil insulation to help.

OP
M
Member ID
Reactions
City
Maryland Heighs
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
Thread Starter #10
Yes there was drone. I had to line the inside of the trunk with that foil insulation to help.
Ok, can you tell me more about the foil insulation: brand name, thickness?, how install, I assume something easy to get from rock auto?

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
@moparfan1967 [welcome]

I just wanted to give you an FYI
Black Friday sales are already coming out. First probably won't be the Best, but I would watch for savings on items that are wanted.

Linda
[burnout][burnout]

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I used to own a challenger SRT that I supercharged. And installed headers. Lost approximately 2lbs of boost. I was told that was normal by edelbrock rep.
This was due to the more efficient exhaust. So I got no performance gain by adding headers but the exhaust sounded awesome. I could have added a smaller pulley and had it re tuned. I ended up trading it in on my hellcat. To me it wasn't worth the money I spent on the headers.