Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Ceramic coating

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
So i bought a new car and paid for the coating. Wasn’t crazy impressed with the job it is scheduled to go back.
A month or so ago I coated my daily driver. Did the proper prep and I use the proper soaps when I wash.
but anyway both the vehicle I did and the professional job both already are losing their bead. I will say it is Michigan and the cars get covered in salt.
the areas where the salt hits the worst are the only spots losing the bead. But I wouldn’t think the ceramic would last long than 2 months. I know they make booster sprays and soaps but that seems pointless to do monthly.
Anyone have experience with vehicles that see a lot of weather on how long it lasted for them. At least the one I paid for has a warranty so I guess I can go back every few months.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Yeah I ceramic coated my last 2 cars, opted not to do it to the Redeye, I just don't think it's worth it in the long run. I'm not denying the extra thickness, it's like having a harder clear coat over your clear coat so the paint gets more protection. But just like clear coat you can scratch it and swirl it and it still needs clay-barring and sealant every 6 months or even less if you're in the elements. I wish I just would have clear-bra'd my whole car right after I bought it. Then you just wash and put sealant on it and replace pieces if they get wrecked. That's what I will do to my next new car.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #3
Graphene which is a ceramic alternative is getting more popular. Adam’s used to claim 7 years now they claim 9 years on their newest. I’m curious to test that and compare. Maybe before next winter. I was very disappointed my last wash to say the least.
I probably won’t do it again. I have another bottle but o well at this point

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
I have used ceramic coatings and did the whole process step by step. Did it on 3 different vehicles and even put labels of exact dates applied….etc. that shit ain’t no better than putting good wax on your car every few months.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #5
I have used ceramic coatings and did the whole process step by step. Did it on 3 different vehicles and even put labels of exact dates applied….etc. that shit ain’t no better than putting good wax on your car every few months.
I have to agree I find enjoyment in waxing. I usually do a sealant followed by a black wax with my traditional detailing

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Yeah I ceramic coated my last 2 cars, opted not to do it to the Redeye, I just don't think it's worth it in the long run. I'm not denying the extra thickness, it's like having a harder clear coat over your clear coat so the paint gets more protection. But just like clear coat you can scratch it and swirl it and it still needs clay-barring and sealant every 6 months or even less if you're in the elements. I wish I just would have clear-bra'd my whole car right after I bought it. Then you just wash and put sealant on it and replace pieces if they get wrecked. That's what I will do to my next new car.
I had my Daytona done and redone the following year for minimal cost. The next they wanted a lot more so I was out. I also didn't think it was worth the money. If you have a car that is garage kept and put maybe a 1,000 miles a year it may last longer. But if that is all you are doing probably don't need it ceramic coated in the 1st place

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I have to agree I find enjoyment in waxing. I usually do a sealant followed by a black wax with my traditional detailing
I will let you know when you can come over to do mine. Well I could probably take it to you. Least I could do since you enjoy it:p

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I use Reload on my cars. It's easy to use and works just as well.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I just have mine repainted. I watched the Rousch owner next door do it himself and no way with a bad back. Am I going to put myself through that. He is not in the best of shape either. So far it has taken him 6 months. Time to start over.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Both the V2 and hellcat.

V2 was kamikaze ISM topped with myobi.

Hellcat was xpel fusion.

V held bead & shine for 2.5 years til I sold it. Summer daily driven in all elements and stored on the first salt for winter.

Hellcat is coming up on the 2yr mark and I feel like the xpel isn't holding up as well as the twin coat of ISM/myobi. Still fantastic beading and shine. Same routine as the V. Driven absolutely everywhere in the summer. Stored winter.

Both kept up with appropriate soaps and foam cannon/2 bucket methods.

My truck is coated in Jade. It's my winter vehicle/travel pig and honestly the Jade is the only one I'm not impressed with overall so far. Doing great the first year but I still feel like the other 2 "popped" more.

My new thing is Salts Gone or Salt Off. That stuff should be mandatory for all winter regions.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #11
Both the V2 and hellcat.

V2 was kamikaze ISM topped with myobi.

Hellcat was xpel fusion.

V held bead & shine for 2.5 years til I sold it. Summer daily driven in all elements and stored on the first salt for winter.

Hellcat is coming up on the 2yr mark and I feel like the xpel isn't holding up as well as the twin coat of ISM/myobi. Still fantastic beading and shine. Same routine as the V. Driven absolutely everywhere in the summer. Stored winter.

Both kept up with appropriate soaps and foam cannon/2 bucket methods.

My truck is coated in Jade. It's my winter vehicle/travel pig and honestly the Jade is the only one I'm not impressed with overall so far. Doing great the first year but I still feel like the other 2 "popped" more.

My new thing is Salts Gone or Salt Off. That stuff should be mandatory for all winter regions.
The jade is graphene. Which is kind of like the new thing that isn't really used as much yet. I have been curious on the graphene since they market it as a better product. The years graphene and ceramic get are from lab tests. Jade says 5 years. Adams graphene says 9 years. So as long as it was tested using the same standards it doesn't surprise me the Jade is wearing that fast. I wouldn't ever expect the full 9 years but if the same tests were done. Adam's lasted almost double as long during the lab tests.
So far ceramic for me not a fan will I try graphene. IDK

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
The jade is graphene. Which is kind of like the new thing that isn't really used as much yet. I have been curious on the graphene since they market it as a better product. The years graphene and ceramic get are from lab tests. Jade says 5 years. Adams graphene says 9 years. So as long as it was tested using the same standards it doesn't surprise me the Jade is wearing that fast. I wouldn't ever expect the full 9 years but if the same tests were done. Adam's lasted almost double as long during the lab tests.
So far ceramic for me not a fan will I try graphene. IDK
Of the 3 different ones I absolutely would gladly pay a professional to do 2 layers of kamikaze again over either the Jade graphene or Xpel Fusion ceramic.

Then again maybe the other 2 would have benefited the same from a 2nd coat too.

FWIW the jade was marketed to me as a 7yr coating. No way in hell it makes it the full 7. It's on a black silverado and the V was also black and of the 2 black vehicles Kamikaze wins hands down.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Had the wife's car done and I'm not impressed. They did a great job detailing it, but the coating seems like a waterspot magnet and even their 'special spot remover' stuff made little difference. Will be going back to my trusty Klasse (grey bottle) + P&S Beadmaker (wipe on, wipe off) every 3 months or so.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I have held off till the tally was in. I guess it is.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Had the wife's car done and I'm not impressed. They did a great job detailing it, but the coating seems like a waterspot magnet and even their 'special spot remover' stuff made little difference. Will be going back to my trusty Klasse (grey bottle) + P&S Beadmaker (wipe on, wipe off) every 3 months or so.
The 2 black vehicles both needed to be rinsed with deionized water or something with 0 TDS. Most city/well sources are not even close.

"Spotless" rinse, blow dry & towel up the excess always worked for me.

I purchased p&s iron buster and brake buster for this year. Eager to try them out.

I would like an easy spray/wipe detailer that does NOT LEAVE STREAKS OR RESIDUE. I have not found one yet. Does beadmaker accomplish this?

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Have you tried products from Chemical Guys. As you can see, I have a satin black H/C and their products seem to work well. Florida water is one of the worst in the country. Why I take the car to NASCAR wash. Brushless and give it a good wipe down and spray when I get home. Seems to work well.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Guy. It will last for 5 years and cost $3K.

Me. Get the F out of here.

Guy. I forgot you have to "recharge" every 6 months for $500.

Me. Isn't that the same as reapplying?

Guy. Get the F out!!!

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Come on David,,,, tell us how you really feel. But I ain't fallen for this shit when it 1st came out. Alot of shops that promoted this are out of business. HMMM It's been 5 years for shops around here.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #19
Sounds like the results I am seeing aren't surprising. When I bought the explorer they gave a 7 year warranty I guess I get a free detail every few months

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
We bought a program for a couple of our cars. It was about $300 included paint sealer, interior protection and a $50 detail every 3 months. First car was great but it got bad on the 2nd car. It was horrible. They put the sealer on over the dirt. No one at the dealer gave a shit.