Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

426 Helephant engine upgrade

Lord Hellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Barking
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
I am having demonic thoughts that when the next batch of Helephant engines become available to buy one.
I am guessing that this engine has some seriously beefed up internals with piston squirters etc and much more.
I have not found anything on the exact spec of the engine. Is there a spec sheet out there.
Now I am guessing that this engine should just bolt straight in to the Challenger without any mods.
Would I require the additional Helephant engine kit.
Would the ZF 8 speed handle the extra power.
I am hoping that it would be a pretty straight forward job.
Pull the stock motor out and drop the Helephant in.
If there are any pitfalls I would very grateful if you could share them

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
$$$$$$

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I think the swap will be rather straightforward.

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
I suspect at a minimum you'll need to acquire the pcm to match.

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Remember that the hellephant does not meet emission standard's. So unless you plan on tracking only or your state doesnt do emission testing youll have a problem.

Felt

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Philadelphia
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye Challenger
Don't know if this helps but has some part numbers you might need..

Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 3.58.46 PM.png

Attachments

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Wondering if the 6.2 is the redeye engine. It has the black block like the demon and not the orange one of original hellcat.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
It is 30K and does not have a warranty, I went through this on the other site (regarding the warranty). I think the A8 would survive depending on the tune.

They are being made by MOPAR by a race shop, essentially hand made, so the quality should be good.

How about saving 10K and installing a Redeye motor? AJ has them readily available, complete for 20K or so.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
It is 30K and does not have a warranty, I went through this on the other site (regarding the warranty). I think the A8 would survive depending on the tune.

They are being made by MOPAR by a race shop, essentially hand made, so the quality should be good.

How about saving 10K and installing a Redeye motor? AJ has them readily available, complete for 20K or so.
Is AJ still at Truestreet on L.I. or is he doing his own thing now? I saw he was working on a RE tune with another tuner in a diff state on the other site and asked him if he was. He never answered back. He did the tune on my current blown 6.1 a few years ago, and just wanted to know.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Is AJ still at Truestreet on L.I. or is he doing his own thing now? I saw he was working on a RE tune with another tuner in a diff state on the other site and asked him if he was. He never answered back. He did the tune on my current blown 6.1 a few years ago, and just wanted to know.
He is the tuner for Truestreet, he is doing his own thing and working with Barth (on some capacity regarding installing Demon software in non Demon cars).

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
$30k is a lot for that motor. You can build a NICE 426 for $10 - $11k. I'm interested in that 3.0L blower though.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
$30k is a lot for that motor. You can build a NICE 426 for $10 - $11k. I'm interested in that 3.0L blower though.
You talking about A2 speed/HHP pre built type long block assembly? Or just a do it yourself type thing?

Last edited:

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
https://www.highhorseperformance.com/HHP_BES_426_7_0L_Hellcat_Short_Block_p/hhp70hcsb.htm

Fully machined and assembled by the engine experts at BES, this Sport Series stroker comes with the following Rotator package:

• Billet Crank (Winberg, Bryant or HHP Custom)
  • Callies Billet Rods
  • Ross Pistons w/ Side Gas Ports

*ATI Damper not included but recommended with your shortblock purchase.

Research: Compare this short block to that offered by our competitors. We released our Street and Sport series premium motors due to customer requests for a far better assembled motor using the more economical and affordable engine parts that our competitors use. We invite you to do an apples-to-apples comparison. Why take a chance with motors being built in someones garage behind their house when you can have the same parts in your motor many our competitors use and have the peace of mind that only comes with a motor built by the number one professional engine shop in the country, BES Racing Engines, for the same price. Everyone knows that there is horsepower in the machining and BES will ensure you get the best quality engine built, from proper expert balancing to final assembly.

Balanced & Blue Printed: All blocks are sonic tested for integrity and thickness. All engines are professionally balanced and blue printed. Blue Prints available to customers upon request at time of purchase.

Optional Upgrades: For BES to put their name on an engine, our kits come standard with many of the upgrades our competitors have to up-sell you on. Other upgrades our competition may try and up-sell you on are not needed and are many times discouraged as they may actually rob your motor of horsepower and longevity. Our standard engines meet the needs of the average stroker customer and we make one basic recommendation for High Compression strokers, Low Compression strokers built for 20+ psi boost, Low Compression nitrous injected strokers seeing over 15psi boost, and also Nitrous Engines with intentions of using over a 350 shot, combined total, and this is the ARP Main Bolt and Head Stud upgrade for internal integrity and to prevent lifting a head on engines seeing extremely high cylinder pressures.

For More Information: Please call us at 888-894-1115 for more info regarding this engine and what you will need to successfully complete the transformation of your vehicle into one of the baddest vehicles the HEMI world has ever seen. Let our experts help you plan out your build. At HHP, we carry EVERY part you will need to complete your entire stroker build, and since we are a chain of installation shops as well, we can provide everything from inhouse installation and tuning to tech support and email tuning for the do-it-yourself mechanics.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
https://www.highhorseperformance.com/HHP_BES_426_7_0L_Hellcat_Short_Block_p/hhp70hcsb.htm

Fully machined and assembled by the engine experts at BES, this Sport Series stroker comes with the following Rotator package:

• Billet Crank (Winberg, Bryant or HHP Custom)
  • Callies Billet Rods
  • Ross Pistons w/ Side Gas Ports

*ATI Damper not included but recommended with your shortblock purchase.

Research: Compare this short block to that offered by our competitors. We released our Street and Sport series premium motors due to customer requests for a far better assembled motor using the more economical and affordable engine parts that our competitors use. We invite you to do an apples-to-apples comparison. Why take a chance with motors being built in someones garage behind their house when you can have the same parts in your motor many our competitors use and have the peace of mind that only comes with a motor built by the number one professional engine shop in the country, BES Racing Engines, for the same price. Everyone knows that there is horsepower in the machining and BES will ensure you get the best quality engine built, from proper expert balancing to final assembly.

Balanced & Blue Printed: All blocks are sonic tested for integrity and thickness. All engines are professionally balanced and blue printed. Blue Prints available to customers upon request at time of purchase.

Optional Upgrades: For BES to put their name on an engine, our kits come standard with many of the upgrades our competitors have to up-sell you on. Other upgrades our competition may try and up-sell you on are not needed and are many times discouraged as they may actually rob your motor of horsepower and longevity. Our standard engines meet the needs of the average stroker customer and we make one basic recommendation for High Compression strokers, Low Compression strokers built for 20+ psi boost, Low Compression nitrous injected strokers seeing over 15psi boost, and also Nitrous Engines with intentions of using over a 350 shot, combined total, and this is the ARP Main Bolt and Head Stud upgrade for internal integrity and to prevent lifting a head on engines seeing extremely high cylinder pressures.

For More Information: Please call us at 888-894-1115 for more info regarding this engine and what you will need to successfully complete the transformation of your vehicle into one of the baddest vehicles the HEMI world has ever seen. Let our experts help you plan out your build. At HHP, we carry EVERY part you will need to complete your entire stroker build, and since we are a chain of installation shops as well, we can provide everything from inhouse installation and tuning to tech support and email tuning for the do-it-yourself mechanics.
Lol. Was on their website looking at the 6.1/426 short block offering when you posted.

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Yeh, I watched your new vid. and looks like you have everything but the blower. Curious what you were doing about that...

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
You talking about A2 speed/HHP pre built type long block assembly? Or just a do it yourself type thing?
Definitely NOT A2speed. Either OST, AJ, or HHP.

Yeh, I watched your new vid. and looks like you have everything but the blower. Curious what you were doing about that...
My factory blower bolted right up and keeping the 2.72 Hellraiser.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Lol. Was on their website looking at the 6.1/426 short block offering when you posted.
Well you are from the 6.1 Hemi time
It was Mike Smith's Blue Bee Charger 1st into the 8s
With a BES built motor:)

Linda :)

Hemituner

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bayshore
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon
He is the tuner for Truestreet, he is doing his own thing and working with Barth (on some capacity regarding installing Demon software in non Demon cars).
Sharing a building with True-Street I am doing their tuning as well as my own day to day operations. I work with quite a few tuners helping with special projects I try to keep an open door policy. As far as the Hellephant goes my opinion is that with the 8 speed the extra torque is much tougher to manage. It has been my experience that with the 6.2 and 7.0 using the same blower the net gain is really in TQ not peak power. This tq increase with the 8 speed is challenging to try to put down with the steep 1st gear and even a bigger challenge for someone who wants to retain the stock differential.
Hope this helps
AJ

OP
Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Barking
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #19
Many thanks guys and girls. I had a feeling that torque would be the biggest issue with the ZF 8 speed. I remember from the early days of tuning that the gearbox was the trickiest part to work around.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Just pull the timing out of it down low to reduce the torque. Racers adjust the tune to meet the track/street conditions. If you watch Street Outlaws they are constantly pulling timing to get the car to hook. For this reason (IMO) the 2.62 is the better choice than the 3.09. I run the 2.62 case.

Latest Forum Posts