Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

1971 Hemi-Cuda is Up For Grabs

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Nice, too bad I don’t like red….

and I don't have that kind of cash!

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
These cars today are only good to put on a pedestal and probably will never be driven or even shown anymore?

Last edited:

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
The early street hemis were dogs. Never impressed me and I owned 2 of them. Stage 111 Max Wedge was much more fun and fast as hell. Early GTO's with a 455 dropped in were killers. Had 2 of them.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I would drive it ! Not a lot, but the occasional Sunday am drive, weather permitting !

Glad it's red and not Sublime or Plum Crazy !

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
I like how they say up for grabs! Like it is chump change. And my yellow Cat could run off and leave it. Who could feel comfortable driving a 300K car around these roads today?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
The early street hemis were dogs. Never impressed me and I owned 2 of them. Stage 111 Max Wedge was much more fun and fast as hell. Early GTO's with a 455 dropped in were killers. Had 2 of them.
A lot of people don't like to hear that, but it's true. They were not the best low end street motors. But open up the carburation, open up the headers, put a 5:13 rear behind it and wing it to 7000rpm (or more) and and get out of the way.
I actually got a ride in a '70 or '71(actually don't remember, was a kid and just hopped in the passenger door) in the mid 70's. It was the guys sister's car. He lit it up for all it was worth and then said "this thing don't impress me...my small block Chevy would kick it's ass!" LOL. don't know how true that was but he wasn't all that impressed with it.

OP
P

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Thread Starter #10
A lot of people don't like to hear that, but it's true. They were not the best low end street motors. But open up the carburation, open up the headers, put a 5:13 rear behind it and wing it to 7000rpm (or more) and and get out of the way.
I actually got a ride in a '70 or '71(actually don't remember, was a kid and just hopped in the passenger door) in the mid 70's. It was the guys sister's car. He lit it up for all it was worth and then said "this thing don't impress me...my small block Chevy would kick it's ass!" LOL. don't know how true that was but he wasn't all that impressed with it.
Just like the Boss 429. Really choked down for the street. The 428CJ's were much better street motors.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Back in '64 my friend ordered a 426 street wedge and got a race hemi engine by mistake. Dodge demanded the car back but my buddy refused. Dodge never pushed it and gave up.
Now that car was a monster. It ran 10's. It was tuned by the flying dutchman working out of Culver City Chrysler. Dodge helped sponser the car for a while. The car was so radical it would foul a couple of spark plugs at a red light. Had aluminum front end and a radio and carpeting. Weird.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
It all depends on the drivetrain combination. I have had two 1969 A12 lift off hood 440-6 RoadRunners that were bonafide 12 second cars with minor mods. They were powerful street machines. I had a pure stock 69 Hemi Bee/super track pack (4.10 rear, 4 speed and PDB) that was more impressive powerwise to me than any of my stock A12 RoadRunners. On the other hand, a Hemi automatic with a 3.23 rear was not a drag car. I have owned big block Mopar musclecars every day of my life since 1969. A Hemi is very worthy of it’s reputation...plus it simply is an awesome looking motor. A713BA96-64D0-4921-A19E-1432BCB94238.jpeg

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I'm in!

Now let me see, where did I leave those extra $100k's laying around again?

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I'm in!

Now let me see, where did I leave those extra $100k's laying around again?
Subscribed!

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
never cared for that 71 front end...for 300 large..give me an SS..a TRX..and a RE charger...
I actually like that front end but I agree with the expenditure plan for that 300,000

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Back in '64 my friend ordered a 426 street wedge and got a race hemi engine by mistake. Dodge demanded the car back but my buddy refused. Dodge never pushed it and gave up.
Now that car was a monster. It ran 10's. It was tuned by the flying dutchman working out of Culver City Chrysler. Dodge helped sponser the car for a while. The car was so radical it would foul a couple of spark plugs at a red light. Had aluminum front end and a radio and carpeting. Weird.
Where is this now

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
More interested in the sister that would own that car where is she now

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
On the other hand, a Hemi automatic with a 3.23 rear was not a drag car. View attachment 48100
It was an auto. DK the rear, but was def a 3 series I'm sure. Didn't snap your neck off. He just put in drive and mashed it. The shaker "shook" (actually just cocked way over) when he hit it and the motor torqued way over. He was like look!, look! that's really attached to the motor! Car was red with white vinyl top, white interior, and black shaker. BTW that '69 Roadrunner with the six pack lift off hood is one of the best looking muscle cars of all time....Period. I'm an ex Chevy guy and even then I thought that body was better looking than the Chevelle's. Funny, I never realized how HUGE that body was until the last couple of years. Back in the day it just seamed like a normal mid sized body. But now when I see them , I see how big that godam thing is!

Last edited:

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
More interested in the sister that would own that car where is she now
Ex cop now. She looked more like a brother.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ran into my friend in '76 and he said Santa Monica police forced him to sell car after high speed chase down Pacific Coast hwy. Car was sold to another friend who owned a frame shop in West Los Angeles where it was picked apart in the back lot. Pretty sure the junk man got the rest of it. The car was a legend in West LA in the mid '60's. Some mighty fast cars showed up from all over to try and beat it and didn't.
One of our local boys who worked at Shelby American built a '62 Vette with the help of the Shelby crew. He wanted a piece of that hemi. He showed up at our local burger hangout one night looking to race. He was running big Hillborn stacks running Nitro. Nastiest sounding small block I ever saw. Every ones eyes were watering from the nitro. Race never happened because of too much traffic that night and not enough shut down area. I think maybe the Vette stood a good chance of winning. I'd give anything to go back to those days.